Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To neuter or not?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I wonder how I manage to keep my dogs secure on 2.2 acres of land, and know where they are at all times? The youngest 2 are currently fascinated by the cattle that have appeared in the adjacent fields. But they can't get near to them because they are safely contained behind fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

That might be possible in a flat in the city but in the country on an acre living in a bungalow is a different thing. The only way you could secure that is with chain link fencing. For a motivated dog, it is never perfect. Tying a dog to post for the day isnt an option either.

I think you missed my point. I said if you have a secure area otherwise you should not have a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

A friend has 26 acres. Around 5% is fenced securely to contain dogs and small children. The other land is also fenced securely to prevent cattle from wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

That might be possible in a flat in the city but in the country on an acre living in a bungalow is a different thing. The only way you could secure that is with chain link fencing. For a motivated dog, it is never perfect. Tying a dog to post for the day isnt an option either.

I live in a bungalow in the country on an acre. I have 5 dogs so I have secure fencing. We've recently bought another 13 odd acres and an old house but we probably won't be moving there for another year or so because fencing a secure area and keeping our dogs safe is just as important as renovating the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

DBB wrote: »
    Why?

the benefit of the hormones for growth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

the benefit of the hormones for growth

Yes. Once again, I will say, that leaving bitches until only after their first heat to spay them, as advised in the post I asked "why?" to, is not necessarily long enough. The latest research backs this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tangleytuftles

eeinke wrote: »
    Wondering whether should neuter our 7 month old cross e.g. golden retriever /lab/collie.
    What are the advantages of neutering ? When should one do it? Ideal time..

What is involved if we don't neuter the dog?....pls be realistic

Thank you

With a golden retriever, neutering them at all before 2 years can quadruple cancers and joint issues. UC Davis did a study on it, just Google golden retriever neuter study.
    I personally don't neuter my dogs unless medically needed as a good owner should know where their dog is at all times and intact dog behaviour is hyped up more than it needs to be but they're behaviours untrained neutered dogs do too. Plus I'll take testicular cancer or mammary cancer over more dangerous cancers any day.
    With golden retrievers and their proneness to cancer, I actually wouldn't neuter for as long as possible, bare minimum 2 years. Mammary cancer is easy to spot and feel(you should be feeling the nipples on any female dog for lumps neutered, or not at least monthly) and pyometra is far more common in older(7+) dogs.
    If for some reason you can't control an intact bitch, I'd neuter now and save up thousands for cancer and joint issues and then prepare better before getting another dog. I also might be biased but I prefer males. Mostly because you don't need to neuter them unless they get testicular cancer which is the easiest cancer to spot and feel imo.

Infographic below is from puppy culture and its a good way to visualise the pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kerny21

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'm still an advocate for ovary sparing spaying. It leaves the hormones, prevents pregnancy, eliminates the risk of pyometra, reduces the risk of bone cancers. I got my girl's surgery done at 19 months. Not because of mess or other issues but because I didn't want puppies or pyo.

Okay, so there's a marginally higher risk of mammary cancer, but what dog doesn't love belly-rubs at every opportunity? Mine is a fiend for for them. I'd be much more likely to spot a mammary issue than a bone one at an early enough stage to treat successfully.

Hi, I'd love to know where you got it done! It's something I'd be really interested in for my rotten girl, she's coming on 5 months now. I know it will greatly reduce her risk of cancers in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My nighbour who let her farm get out of control had to put on the brake on one week. They had 47 kitten baptised.

That is sick.

Advertisement