Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to make those huge puffy onion rings you get from the Chinese...

• 30-10-2020 12:21am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to make those puffy big onion rings you get from the Chinese? (I feel like they used to be more available but now you're more likely to get the crappy little green isle ones...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Slice Spanish onions into rings, make a tempura batter or beer batter, dip onion into batter, place in hot oil/fryer.

Done !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are UK youtube channels showing takeaway techniques.

My local definitely has MSG in the mix, but I think its also that the oil is flavoured. One youtube guy swears by green dragon flour for chicken balls, it is meant to puff up and not hold as much oil. I doubt my local takeaway uses that though. It can be got in asian supermarkets.

Here are 2 videos, beside the MSG I see nothing special, but the onion rings from a Chinese are very different from ones in an Italian chipper so I am now sure why (I am not talking about the onion slab/slices in chippers, some do rings but they are different from a Chinese place)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Yeah, I can manage teh Chipper style ones, moderatly thick batter, quick fry, and a follow up final fry. S&V and wrap in paper if you want the real effect.

The puffy chinese ones are almost spongy in the batter, differently good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I edited my post there, I said "greed dragon!" it's green dragon flour. He said it also has an "asian flavour"

I just found another guy testing the flour and found no difference with lidls

The takeaway owner did. BUT he also sells the flour so would have a vested interest. However Musgraves have a section aisle just for Chinese takeaways and it is well stocked with Green dragon flour, so it definitely must be selling.

he drags out his videos quite a bit, I just skip on. Or watch at 1.5 or 1.75 speed.

Also on a facebook page lots swear by the green dragon flour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So I had a go with the first "recipe" this evening.

Largish regular onion.
    ~75g Odlums SR
    1/2 tsp MSG
    enough water to make a thick paste.

Fried in oil used to make falafels previously .~170-180ºC
    Fairly successful but missing a little je ne sais quois
    ElmRv3VWoAAlR9Y?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »

, but I think its also that the oil is flavoured. ]

Probably just from frying spring rolls and tasty bits in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

I put baking soda and sparkling water in mine, but everyone likes them a certain texture.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement