Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fort Ostman, Crumlin

Options
  • 22-01-2015 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any information about Fort Ostman apartments in Crumlin? I've seen a couple of apartments advertised online. They appear to be in decent condition, not exactly new and modern but not old either. From the map view they appear to be located within their own little estate and location is quite good generally.

Has anyone ever lived here and could offer some opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Kung Lao wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone have any information about Fort Ostman apartments in Crumlin? I've seen a couple of apartments advertised online. They appear to be in decent condition, not exactly new and modern but not old either. From the map view they appear to be located within their own little estate and location is quite good generally.

Has anyone ever lived here and could offer some opinions?

Hi Kung Lao,

I haven't lived there myself but know someone who does. There has been a lot of crime, apartments broken into, hall doors vandalised etc. And a lot of anti social behaviour, drugs gangs etc.

Also with the age of these apartments, roughly 20 years, my friends apartment being top floor is suffering leaks etc.

There are a couple of apartments for sale but they don't seem to be moving. One I note was sale agreed but the buyer pulled out as it's back on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cladf

I went to look at an apartment here at Fort Ostman, Crumlin last week, it looked OK. Does anyone know if previous issues continue or if there are other problems with this complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

I have lived in fort ostman on the top floor in number 7 about 9 years ago and I never had any issues with vandalism etc... The only nuisance was the boy racer across the way who was heavy footed.

I did hear that a few wetter would run through when chased by police and the odd litter dumper...

They have new gates put up which no body without access can get in. I went to collect stuff from a lady there and could not get in the grounds without having to climb the big wall.

If you love foreign foods then you will love this place..... I can still remember all the aroma from cooking floating through the hallways everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 3 li_the_sea

Hi @reddevilfan i noticed it’s an old post but I’m bidding on an apartment in this buiding. It’s also on ground floor. I was wondering if you find the ground floor alright safety wise? It’s a shame that no way the living room door is accessible to the garden but i love the it’s brightness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

Not sure if you went ahead or not but either way may be helpful for others in the future. I've been there for a few years now and have quite enjoyed it. People in the complex are generally very friendly and quiet and it is great for getting in and out of town transport wise. I usually cycle in and having the canal close is great. There is the odd dumping around the bins as mentioned above but generally its cleaned pretty quickly.

I did have the rear wheel of my bike nicked once though. Was around halloween when they were keeping the gate open for something. So if cycling, lock both tyres, I didn't lock the rear one which is probably why it was targeted. Probably better to use the bike shed or keep it indoors if possible. Generally the area is pretty safe though.

The apartments themselves are nice layouts I find. I needed to do a little bit of work in mine when I first came. Bathroom roof in particular was shocking so replaced it with an easy clean, water resistant material. Old storage heaters are crap if you are in one of the ones not recently renovated, might be worth replacing. Worth noting too I do think the ground floor can get a bit cold due to the giant windows in Winter, but in Summer the heat is incredible.

One final point for other ground floorers, yes the vent 'doors' don't open so you can't get out easily to the garden. However, I found when I arrived the outer wooden part wasn't fully connected to the frame and at times it seemed like a heavy wind could blow it off so I took it off the adhesive and instead put in some sliding bolt locks and hinges. Much more secure now and with the added benefit of being openable. The inside door still closes as normal and can't be opened from the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MertMeck

Hey not sure if you bought but it sounds like one of the apartments that's on sale again now. I'm considering putting a bid in but it looks like it's been vandalised recently and I noticed the gate from the public road to the garden is open. Just wondering if you had any thoughts or if you went ahead?

Advertisement