Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

AMKC wrote: »
    Alexander Albon and Nico Hulkinberg to Haas, George Russell to Red Bull and Sergio Perez to Williams.
    Just what I think.

Who know's what will happen. I do think Haas need at least one very experienced driver do and Hulk would be perfect there
    What about Latifi? He brings big bucks but that's all. Perez would be a vast improvement and has a large fan base in the Americas. Hulk and Grosjean are both finished in F1. I think Raikkonen might see sense and quit. So, there could be six places up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Interesting to see Magnussen and Grosjean both saying they’re being dropped because they aren’t pay drivers. It’s a convenient narrative for them and there’s probably some truth in it. The Covid recession is kicking in again.

Haas needing pay drivers is a bad sign. It’s acceptance that they’re a backmarker team. I wouldn’t bet on them being there after 2022. The rule changes represent a major investment in the chassis formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Helmut Marko has said they are planning to replace Kivyat with Tsunoda. "The plan is to place him at Alfa Tauri. He only has to achieve the necessary points for his super license"

He also said Albion can stay if he continues to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

chicorytip wrote: »
    What about Latifi? He brings big bucks but that's all. Perez would be a vast improvement and has a large fan base in the Americas. Hulk and Grosjean are both finished in F1. I think Raikkonen might see sense and quit. So, there could be six places up for grabs.

Sure he can go to Alfa Romeo when Kimi retires.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Interesting to see Magnussen and Grosjean both saying they’re being dropped because they aren’t pay drivers. It’s a convenient narrative for them and there’s probably some truth in it. The Covid recession is kicking in again.

Haas needing pay drivers is a bad sign. It’s acceptance that they’re a backmarker team. I wouldn’t bet on them being there after 2022. The rule changes represent a major investment in the chassis formula.

At the end of the day there are 10 teams:
    Williams - Joke shop. Just been bought out, won't be progressing.
    Haas - Customer/B-team.
    Alfa Romeo - Customer/B-team.
    Racing Point - will be around the top of the midfield as long as they have Merc engines.
    Alpha Tauri - Customer/B-term.
    Renault - Stuck with not great engine. Will need to outperform RB by a half second to challenge for wins regularly.
    McLaren - Merc customer, might get somewhere near the top soon.
    Red Bull - stuck with not great engine. Need to out-design Merc by probably half a second a lap to compete properly.
    Ferrari - stuck with a **** engine now.
    Mercedes - best engine, will have the best engine for the next half a decade. Haven't had to develop this year's car at all.

All the teams' values will be inflated by the new buy-in BS so someone coming in and actually doing something looks very unlikely. In the early 2000s they brought in a new points system and then banned tyre changes pretty much to break Ferrari's dominance. Right now Mercedes have already done 6 months dedicated development on 2021's car, they probably don't even need to do it. I'd be amazed they haven't already put in a ton of development into 2022 and that's all they'll be working on next year.

Point being (:pac:) which of those teams can afford to have non-pay-drivers and how many would get any actual benefit from it? At least half of the (small, 20 cars) field should be paid drivers if the teams have any sense. Why would Williams or Alfa Romeo pay someone a million when they can get paid 5 million for basically no difference in outcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I think it's more an acceptance of the financial impact of covid. All the teams except for the front few depend on the income from F1 to keep the lights on. With the income expected to be half the usual amount based on reduced revenues, if they can’t find additional sponsorship then they need drivers who bring money. It's entirely possible that Haas may not be there in 2022, but somebody would buy them. The 200 million buy in fee for new entries makes existing teams a much more attractive proposition

skipper_G wrote: »
    I think it's more an acceptance of the financial impact of covid. All the teams except for the front few depend on the income from F1 to keep the lights on. With the income expected to be half the usual amount based on reduced revenues, if they can’t find additional sponsorship then they need drivers who bring money. It's entirely possible that Haas may not be there in 2022, but somebody would buy them. The 200 million buy in fee for new entries makes existing teams a much more attractive proposition

Yeah that’s a fair analysis.

F1 looks very weak at the moment. Has it always been like this or is this a really different time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

What are they talking about on practice here? Someone said something that was controversial?

Offence nature of his comments, not just the swearing crofty just said.

What did I miss?

Italian newspaper reporting Mick Schumacher and Nikita Mazepin have been signed at Haas.

EDIT: Sky Italy now too. Gio to remain at Alfa Romeo as he is getting big support in Italy and Ferrari like that, they can't be seen to kick the only Italian off the grid.

What are they talking about on practice here? Someone said something that was controversial?

What did I miss?

It could be that Verstappen called Stroll a retard after Stroll crashed into him. It's not really a PC insult anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

GarIT wrote: »
    It could be that Verstappen called Stroll a retard after Stroll crashed into him. It's not really a PC insult anymore.

He doubled down on that comment @ Stroll and called him a "Mongol" or something to that affect as well ( I don't think he meant the South Park kind) . Just stupid really. At this stage all Drivers know they are been recorded . An he knows he was a much at fault for that incident as Stroll was if not more

Yeah that’s a fair analysis.

F1 looks very weak at the moment. Has it always been like this or is this a really different time?

I think it's been like this for years, covid has just been a tipping point. The budget cap, and revised revenue splits are about 20 years too late.

Joeface wrote: »
    He doubled down on that comment @ Stroll and called him a "Mongol" or something to that affect as well ( I don't think he meant the South Park kind) . Just stupid really. At this stage all Drivers know they are been recorded . An he knows he was a much at fault for that incident as Stroll was if not more

There’s way too many snowflakes in life these days getting offended by silly things but come on Max you’re being recorded, cop on. So stupid.

What did I miss?

Max is an ableist, and probably a racist. At least that's what twitter says.

Playground insult, results in woke crowd overreaction. They should blame the FIA for broadcasting it. I challenge any human to be cool as a cucumber and show zero emotion after crashing into another car at motorway speeds

GarIT wrote: »
    Italian newspaper reporting Mick Schumacher and Nikita Mazepin have been signed at Haas.

EDIT: Sky Italy now too. Gio to remain at Alfa Romeo as he is getting big support in Italy and Ferrari like that, they can't be seen to kick the only Italian off the grid.

I really hope Haas give them a better car to work with than the one they have right now.

Two very talented drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I really hope Haas give them a better car to work with than the one they have right now.

Two very talented drivers.

Rumour has it that the Haas will have a lot Ferrari more parts and indirect support to run Schumacher.

Haas will offload the team once sensible offers are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

The rule is if you cannot say it to the persons face then you cannot say it .

He would probably call him an Idiot to his face , a moron , A-hole . F-wit . call the move retarded ....doubt he would throw in the mongol comment then . Thats all the rule you really need

Joeface wrote: »
    The rule is if you cannot say it to the persons face then you cannot say it .

He would probably call him an Idiot to his face , a moron , A-hole . F-wit . call the move retarded ....doubt he would throw in the mongol comment then . Thats all the rule you really need

It's a fairly common insult among Dutch speakers, I'm 99% sure he would say it to his face. It's English speaking people who seem to have jumped on it

Infoanon wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the Haas will have a lot Ferrari more parts and indirect support to run Schumacher.

Haas will offload the team once sensible offers are made.

When you consider Haas is an engineering company which is advertising its design and engineering abilities by being in motorsport and then it has to buy parts from another team and pootle around at the back of the grid. It’s hardly fulfilling any of the ambitions the team set for itself when it joined f1 and spent a fortune.

When you consider Haas is an engineering company which is advertising its design and engineering abilities by being in motorsport and then it has to buy parts from another team and pootle around at the back of the grid. It’s hardly fulfilling any of the ambitions the team set for itself when it joined f1 and spent a fortune.

The ambition was simply to increase brand recognition.

99% of viewers don't care where the parts come from.

If the driver line up is as rumoured expect a take over or significant investment from Mazepin senior who is believed to have just lost out on buying Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Horner on sky said RB are looking at all options including hulk and Perez

Also hoping to take over Honda engine program but it depends on an engine development freeze.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Also hoping to take over Honda engine program but it depends on an engine development freeze.

Was listening to that, the more I hear them talking about Albon the more I think he's done for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Why do they want a development freeze if they take over the engine program can they not develop it them selves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Lads I have a family member who has special needs. Now Im fairly rhino skinned but it does really annoy me when I hear people use the word mongol or retard. That was actually what they were called when I was a kid.

It really shows a lack of class when you tell somebody they must have downes syndrome because they crashed their car.

If you knew the hard work amazing people put in to help people with special needs lead a life where they dont have to be made feel bad for whatever journey they are on no matter how rough the terrain and how hard people with special needs are willing to work just to feel normal or not a burden you wouldnt be happy enough with the future of the sport you support using the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

naughto wrote: »
    Why do they want a development freeze if they take over the engine program can they not develop it them selves

No they can't because it will cost 100s of millions.

They will end up with Renault again even tho Renault don't want them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Disgusting behaviour from Verstappen, but he's the golden boy at the moment so all will be forgotten by Monday.

Imagine Hamilton making comments like that.

Infoanon wrote: »
    The ambition was simply to increase brand recognition.

99% of viewers don't care where the parts come from.

If the driver line up is as rumoured expect a take over or significant investment from Mazepin senior who is believed to have just lost out on buying Williams.

I’d accept that advertising is the main goal but it’s almost certainly not the only one. There are other, cheaper ways to advertise.

I’d be amazed if being at or towards the top wasn’t part of the business plan. I’d be genuinely shocked if anyone would sign off a business plan where they would be at the back of the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

naughto wrote: »

It does seem a bit silly saying freeze the engine design, Surely that means Merc would be dominant for the next 5 years?

Or does it mean that they would get to design a new engine and everyone else cant work on the engine?

I'm sure there is a reason but no one has asked RB for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

afatbollix wrote: »
    It does seem a bit silly saying freeze the engine design, Surely that means Merc would be dominant for the next 5 years?

Or does it mean that they would get to design a new engine and everyone else cant work on the engine?

Pure cost thing, they think the engines are close enough together already.
    If Mercedes advantage would be only be engine related, you would assume Williams and racing point further ahead. McLaren swapping over will be the confirmation.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

Cost savings in light of Covid.

It's happening across motorsports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement