Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Membership at NI club - acceptable for licensing?

Options
  • 26-07-2020 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Is there anyone here that is resident in ROI and listed target shooting at a club in Northern Ireland as their sole reason for licensing a rifle/pistol? I'm wondering whether the gardai would find this acceptable since technically the club is in another state.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Yes its been done if lads want to shoot Ipsc up north, they leave the pistol up there afaik, in storage in a club/dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

tudderone wrote: »
    Yes its been done if lads want to shoot Ipsc up north, they leave the pistol up there afaik, in storage in a club/dealers.

Are they not licensed in NI, if that's where the firearm is kept?

If the firearm is to be kept in RoI, then I think it needs to be licenced here, but a Visitors Firearms Permit must be obtained from the PSNI, before you can bring it across the boarder.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mopro80

garrettod wrote: »
    Are they not licensed in NI, if that's where the firearm is kept?

If the firearm is to be kept in RoI, then I think it needs to be licenced here, but a Visitors Firearms Permit must be obtained from the PSNI, before you can bring it across the boarder.

I asked about licensing a .22 in ROI based on a club membership in NI.

Obviously that would involve storing the gun in ROI and getting a visitor’s firearm permit in order to transport it to NI to use it at the range (which doesn’t appear to be an issue).

I live within a reasonable distance from a club over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

mopro80 wrote: »
    I asked about licensing a .22 in ROI based on a club membership in NI.

Obviously that would involve storing the gun in ROI and getting a visitor’s firearm permit in order to transport it to NI to use it at the range (which doesn’t appear to be an issue).

I live within a reasonable distance from a club over there.

I know of a few lads that tried to do this a few years ago but were refused.
    If you could get some land permission to shoot on here and just apply for a licence for vermin shooting you could then get your visitors permit for the club in NI

Yes, they are not licenced down here, keep the and use the pistol up north. Don't see any problem with a .22 pistol though. You have proved club membership etc, you have a valid reason to licence the pistol down here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Firstly I don't know if it can be done I have never looked into it, I'm a member of clubs both sides of the border, My undertaking of it was to be licensed to own a pistol in the Rep. you have to be a member of an authorized range here in the Rep., So if the range isn't authorized can you be granted a license ?.
    NOTE: Section 4(2)(e) of the Firearms Act 1925, as inserted by section 32 of the
    Criminal Justice Act 2006, has provided that when a person is making an application for
    a firearms certificate for a rifle or pistol for the purpose of target shooting, that individual
    must be a member of an authorised rifle or pistol club.

So ok lets say you get over that hurdle and go to apply for a NI visitors firearms pass when you apply for it you have to submit copies of your license, and your EU pass, but you don't have these because you don't have a license in the Rep. hhhmmmm.

All the people I know who are range members in the North are members of Ranges in the Rep.
    So you go down that route or join a range in the North that have access to club guns and use them when at the North range.
    Again I'm saying personally I don't know anyone who lives in the Rep. and only shoots on Northern ranges but I'm not saying it cant be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FIK they are the last of the aul lads of the IPSC/IPSA who justified their ownership as continuing their sport outside the ROI as good reason to keep their CF pistols in the High court cases and some Dist court cases? Last I heard they had NI club membership and could travel from the ROI to NI and return on this bassis.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    FIK they are the last of the aul lads of the IPSC/IPSA who justified their ownership as continuing their sport outside the ROI as good reason to keep their CF pistols in the High court cases and some Dist court cases? Last I heard they had NI club membership and could travel from the ROI to NI and return on this bassis.

What a dreadful pity practical went. I was looking at the practical shotgun lads in the UK on YT and it looks massive fun. We always seem to get the worst of both worlds in this dreary country.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

I used to be a member of a club up North and shot my .40 there for years.
    At the time I also had membership of MNSCI and of course shot there and in a couple of other clubs in the State as well.

Basically once you have membership here you just apply (through a NI sponsor - Club Sec etc.) for a NI visitors permit. I've had a few of these with absolutely no problem. I think you are well aware of this side of it.

However, for handguns, all of the above is predicted on being a member of an authorised range in the State so that you can get a handgun licenced in the State. You need this certificate and a European Firearms Pass before the PSNI will issue a Visitor's Permit. The Permit is specific for the firearm(s).

Will the Gardaí issue a cert if you are not a member of a range here ? Good question. Personally I don't believe they would based on my understanding of the situation and the requirements. However, stranger things happen every day and it could come down to the opinion of the local super. Certs for example are often issued after considerable delays although they are required to be issued in 3 months or less so there are a lot of things happening 'locally'.

I also was one of the first people in Dublin to have my Court case regarding a handgun (2012) renewal. There was a lot of discussion in Court about shooting facilities and where I could safely shoot. I remember clearly the Judge making one significant comment, (significant in the context of your question). "I don't care where he shoots or what he does outside of the State". This worked mostly in my favour a the time but would not help with your intentions \ argument, especially now that GB including NI is not even an EU Member State anymore so you lose that potential argument as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭SVI40

What a dreadful pity practical went. I was looking at the practical shotgun lads in the UK on YT and it looks massive fun. We always seem to get the worst of both worlds in this dreary country.

IPSC is still on the go, it just cannot be practiced here. You need to travel outside of the state for training and competition.

• Advertisement

SVI40 wrote: »
    IPSC is still on the go, it just cannot be practiced here. You need to travel outside of the state for training and competition.

Yeah i know, stupid carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I was trying to get it going back here in the 1980s when it was known by the now utterly un PC moniker of "Combat shotgun" in the UK,and some of the scenarios would have put modern IPSC and chief supers hearts crosswise in them.:D:D:D
    Shooting out thru the sun roof of a Landrover belting around the range,[a disused quarry] at man targets will alwys stick in my memory as one of the more fun things in my life. in those pre Hungerford and Dunblane days.:rolleyes::)

Fact was we could have gotten it going al lot easier in Ireland back then,and would have had a good arguement and established sport for at least a decade before the pistol ban,and a strong fallback position once IPSC went tits up here...But hindsight is 20/20 and you only miss somthing when you had iit and ignored it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I was trying to get it going back here in the 1980s when it was known by the now utterly un PC moniker of "Combat shotgun" in the UK,and some of the scenarios would have put modern IPSC and chief supers hearts crosswise in them.:D:D:D
    Shooting out thru the sun roof of a Landrover belting around the range,[a disused quarry] at man targets will alwys stick in my memory as one of the more fun things in my life. in those pre Hungerford and Dunblane days.:rolleyes::)

Fact was we could have gotten it going al lot easier in Ireland back then,and would have had a good arguement and established sport for at least a decade before the pistol ban,and a strong fallback position once IPSC went tits up here...But hindsight is 20/20 and you only miss somthing when you had iit and ignored it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I remember when i was young and daft saying to other shooting lads back in the 80's/90's that shooting centrefire rifle at long range, would be great fun. You would imagine i had just proposed sacrificing all first born male children. "Shure why would you be wantin' to be doing that".

Anyway, all that official resistance to anything other than shooting .22lr target, or clays didn't achieve a bloody thing, the murder and mayhem continued regardless.

Thanks to all for the responses! So I'd say chances of getting a licence based on membership of a club in NI would be very slim and I should also find a club over here before applying for a licence. Not a problem, will just add to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

why not arrange to visit your local club here in the south see what shooting they are doing and what equipment their using before buying anything.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    why not arrange to visit your local club here in the south see what shooting they are doing and what equipment their using before buying anything.

I'll do that eventually. For this year I'll probably just stick with using the guns at my club in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Unless something has changed (which im 99% sure it hasnt) if you are purchasing a firearm in the Republic for the purpose of target shooting you will need to specify the club or range details on the application including the relevant Pulse ID number im not aware of any clubs in NI currently holding a Pulse ID number or if they even can apply to be an "approved" club as they are outside the state.

If you had it as a second club it would help in justifying a certain firearm but on its own I don't think its a runner..

Advertisement