Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Landlord Requesting Payslip

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

NuMarvel wrote: »
    You're not alone in regarding it as necessary.

What no one has been able to explain is *why* is it necessary for the purposes of arranging viewings. Why does a LL or agent need to see proof of income from everyone who walks through the door, and not just the person who will be offered the lease?

To ensure nobodies time is being wasted, on either side of the potential transaction. Process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Dav010 wrote: »
    Process of elimination presumably. Many won’t agree to provide the info, some will have high incomes or HAP plus income to pay their portion, they will be considered more favourably than those who earn just enough to afford the rent.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    To ensure nobodies time is being wasted, on either side of the potential transaction. Process of elimination.

Wanting to make sure you're only dealing with people who can afford the rent, and thereby save time, is a valid concern. But the LL/agent has already done that by advertising the rent. Most prospective tenants aren't going to even look at properties they can't afford, never mind waste time turning up to viewings.

And how often has it happened that landlords find the tenant they're ready to offer the property to doesn't actually have sufficient income when they finally go to check the salary? More than once I'm sure, but unless I'm mistaken, not so often as to justify requesting this information at the time of viewing from everyone.

So no, it isn't necessary to request salary details for the purposes of selecting attendees for viewings. You have other means of applying an affordability criteria, and the odds and frequency of people circumventing this criteria doesn't make the alternative a reasonable or proportionate alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Wanting to make sure you're only dealing with people who can afford the rent, and thereby save time, is a valid concern. But the LL/agent has already done that by advertising the rent. Most prospective tenants aren't going to even look at properties they can't afford, never mind waste time turning up.

Makes you wonder why LLs sometimes find tenants stop paying rent, after all, they knew how much they had to pay when it was advertised. Go figure.

Oh well, it’ll only take a year to remove them.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Makes you wonder why LLs sometimes find tenants stop paying rent, after all, they knew how much they had to pay when it was advertised. Go figure.

Oh well, it’ll only take a year to remove them.

Presumably these LLs did some kind of affordability check before signing the lease with these tenants, so what you're really saying is that these kinds of checks aren't always reliable as a tenant's circumstances can change.

All the more reason not to collect it from everyone who turns up at a viewing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Presumably these LLs did some kind of affordability check before signing the lease with these tenants, so what you're really saying is that these kinds of checks aren't always reliable as a tenant's circumstances can change.

All the more reason not to collect it from everyone who turns up at a viewing then.

Maybe they didn’t ask for payslips and are sorry now, who knows. It’s impossible to reduce risk to zero, but confirmation that they can at least afford the rent helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

rosmoke wrote: »
    I would laugh, this has to be a joke?
    My contract and salary are confidential and will remain this way.
    A reference and deposit should be more than enough.
    And having lived in other countries in Europe this is not normal contrary to what someone else mentioned, at least from what I experienced.

Yes it is. What country does not ask for it ?

Wanting to make sure you're only dealing with people who can afford the rent, and thereby save time, is a valid concern. But the LL/agent has already done that by advertising the rent. Most prospective tenants aren't going to even look at properties they can't afford, never mind waste time turning up to viewings.

And how often has it happened that landlords find the tenant they're ready to offer the property to doesn't actually have sufficient income when they finally go to check the salary? More than once I'm sure, but unless I'm mistaken, not so often as to justify requesting this information at the time of viewing from everyone.

So no, it isn't necessary to request salary details for the purposes of selecting attendees for viewings. You have other means of applying an affordability criteria, and the odds and frequency of people circumventing this criteria doesn't make the alternative a reasonable or proportionate alternative.

There is absolutely nothing that will move you on this issue so there's no point in continuing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

People do turn up to viewings who can't afford the rent. Trust me this does happen. It has happened to me and I made sure I did not waste my time again.

Despite what you think not all tenants are truthful, nor are all landlords.

You seem to have an issue with what a number of posters have told you why they look for this information.

You seem to refuse to accept that this is done to save time and protect the landlord.

No matter what reasons posters are giving you, you don't want to accept them.

People do turn up to viewings who can't afford the rent. Trust me this does happen. It has happened to me and I made sure I did not waste my time again.

Despite what you think not all tenants are truthful, nor are all landlords.

You seem to have an issue with what a number of posters have told you why they look for this information.

You seem to refuse to accept that this is done to save time and protect the landlord.

No matter what reasons posters are giving you, you don't want to accept them.

I know that people may go to viewings where they can't afford the rent. I said this in the very post you quoted. But this does not happen so often that collecting salary information from everyone who goes to a viewing is a reasonable and proportionate way to deal with it. Or if it does, then LLs have been keeping very quiet about it.

As for my issues with what people are saying, I understand why landlords and agents may collect this data, but I don't accept the reasons given as being valid. The DPC guidance is clear as to why they're not. As Graham said earlier in the thread, there isn't a "this saves me time" exemption in data protection laws. Landlords can protect themselves without having to collect this volume of information.

The issue isn't that I won't accept reasons, or won't move. It's that the reasons don't stand up to scrutiny. Maybe if people put more thought into their arguments, and actually researched the law first, then they'd find me more amenable to persuasion.

Advertisement