Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best towns in Northern Ireland for Stags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

A couple of great pubs in Castlederg, I had great craic there!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭chosen1

I've been to a stag in Omagh before and had a great night.

We were staying at an outdoor adventure centre closer to Ballygally but went to Omagh for the night out. There's a complex in the town that has a number of good bars all and the street they are on is roofed off and gated in.

Know plenty on here have said you won't be welcome but I've rarely experienced this up north. I'd say alot depends on your attitude to begin with and I've been made welcome from both sides up there.

As a number of people have said, closing time is much earlier than down south so be prepared and be stocked up wherever you are staying for when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

chosen1 wrote: »

We were staying at an outdoor adventure centre closer to Ballygally but went to Omagh for the night out. There's a complex in the town that has a number of good bars all and the street they are on is roofed off and gated in.

Know plenty on here have said you won't be welcome but I've rarely experienced this up north. I'd say alot depends on your attitude to begin with and I've been made welcome from both sides up there.

As a number of people have said, closing time is much earlier than down south so be prepared and be stocked up wherever you are staying for when you get back.

Deadly, that sounds really good. I will add it to the list and check out accommodation. Cheers.

From checking out hotels for our dates it looks like I can shortlist it to Derry, Omagh, Enniskillen, Portstewart, Portrush & Armagh. Any of those stand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pgj2015 wrote: »
    No one from the south is going to be booking Belfast after what has gone on there this week.
    Fighting at a "peace wall", it wouldn't put me off tbh.
    Its one small and notoriously fiery area, its not as if the entire place is on fire lol.
    I have Belfast booked for June.

• Advertisement

sambowden wrote: »
    From checking out hotels for our dates it looks like I can shortlist it to Derry, Omagh, Enniskillen, Portstewart, Portrush & Armagh. Any of those stand out?
    Derry by a mile imo.
    Decent pubs, people are friendly, small and easy to get around.
    Are you driving?
    If not will take two trains from dublin to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭pgj2015

gmisk wrote: »
    Fighting at a "peace wall", it wouldn't put me off tbh.
    Its one small and notoriously fiery area, its not as if the entire place is on fire lol.
    I have Belfast booked for June.

I usually prefer travelling on busses without the fear a petrol bomb might be thrown into it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

sambowden wrote: »

Enniskillen is a small town. 6 pubs worth talking about. I would skip it. Most pubs would not really want a stag. You might get refused at the door.

Cushendall
    Er really?!
    Outside of Johnny Joe's I wouldn't have thought the pubs are great?

I am shocked it got a mention....I am from there.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is poxy for nightlife. Belfast has its spots, but with likely tensions in areas there for the foreseeable future, I'd be going anywhere else.

Why do people act like its Syria or Baghdad? The rioting usually takes place in ****hole estates in the outskirts of towns that tourists never venture into.

What Boards has taught me is how many people in south have such an inaccurate and ignorant views on the North.

People criticise the English for being ignorant over Ireland some people in ROI equally have dumb and frankly idiotic views about NI.

• Advertisement

I usually prefer travelling on busses without the fear a petrol bomb might be thrown into it.:)
    You do know there was no one on the bus right....

All you free staters are so soft....lol

gmisk wrote: »
    You do know there was no one on the bus right....

All you free staters are so soft....lol

I thought the bus driver was still on it?

still though, you would never have something like that happen in the south. even in the roughest parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I thought the bus driver was still on it?

still though, you would never have something like that happen in the south. even in the roughest parts of Dublin.

Really? No shootings happen in Dublin? No gangland activity in Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I must have dreamt that burnt down LIDL in Tallaght then.

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »

no one ever threw a petrol bomb onto a bus in the south.

I must have dreamt that burnt down LIDL in Tallaght then.

burnt down? that was a digger that did the damage not a result of petrol bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

burnt down? that was a digger that did the damage not a result of petrol bombs.

Ok, so when you said "something like that" what you actually meant was "exactly like this very specific thing I now want to pretend that I originally meant".

Ok, so when you said "something like that" what you actually meant was "exactly like this very specific thing I now want to pretend that I originally meant".

no one was in danger when they tore down the lidl, there wasnt any customers inside. But to me it is dangerous when people are fire bombing busses that are working.

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »
    Also buses in dublin are attacked....it's why they have to curtail some routes like cherry orchard pretty frequently....lol

no one was in danger when they tore down the lidl, there wasnt any customers inside. But to me it is dangerous when people are fire bombing busses that are working.
    The bus was hijacked it's in the reports.
    It was a horrible incident but it isn't a regular thing in northern ireland despite the reports.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishpost.com/news/dublin-bus-drivers-assaulted-200-times-last-two-years-181074

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bus-anti-social-behaviour-2-5207033-Sep2020/

[Url] https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30896078.html[/url]

I think in general your probably safer on a bus in Belfast.

Oh I forgot about dublin's answer to Speed..
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/three-held-captive-as-mini-bus-hijacked-at-dublin-airport-1.4133777

Anyway way off topic

Ah lads, can ye refrain from turning this into some tit for tat bull****. Its a simple question - best place for a night out in Northern Ireland!

I think Portrush would be a good spot to go to. There’s a good few bars, restaurants and a nightclub all in close proximity to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I think Portrush would be a good spot to go to. There’s a good few bars, restaurants and a nightclub all in close proximity to each other.

That nightclub in Portrush is closing as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Northern Ireland has a handful of excellent golf courses and a pleasant coastal drive. There's very little else to recommend about it. Belfast is a dour and grey little city, and you can almost smell the bitterness and resentment off the place. Everything closes early as well, and we found ourselves back at the bar at the Fitzwilliam at 12.30 to get a night cap. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for a stag.

What I've always found surprising about people from Northern Ireland is they consider themselves really friendly. Preposterous. The much-vaunted Ulster Fry tends to be little more than a plate of grease and cheap pieces of highly-processed pig meat.

Dreadful part of the world.

I expect better trolling from you AVB. This just bangs of the stereotypes of a person who never ventured near the border never mind beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Northern Ireland has a handful of excellent golf courses and a pleasant coastal drive. There's very little else to recommend about it. Belfast is a dour and grey little city, and you can almost smell the bitterness and resentment off the place. Everything closes early as well, and we found ourselves back at the bar at the Fitzwilliam at 12.30 to get a night cap. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for a stag.

What I've always found surprising about people from Northern Ireland is they consider themselves really friendly. Preposterous. The much-vaunted Ulster Fry tends to be little more than a plate of grease and cheap pieces of highly-processed pig meat.

From my experience, there isn't much difference between Irish people, be they from NI or the Republic.

You must hang around with a certain crowd if you think all Southern Irish folk are so cultured and super friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Still no petrol bombs in any of them articles.

Sweet Jesus, would ye give over. Northern Ireland isn't some square mile statelet. The areas that are having problems make up less than 1% of the landmass and are not representative of the general population, including people living in those areas.

Yes its on the news. Yes its a problem. No its not the entirity of Northern Ireland and it certainly has very little to do with the nuances of Brexit, Bobby Storey or any other bull**** reason the DUP want to trot out to take advantage of.

The psni are bang on target, its the loyalist cartels kicking off but cause their drug profits are getting hit. There's no great cause they're fighting for.

NI is grand, plenty of sound people around. Just like anywhere else you'll get assholes, a treat it as such. There's some great live music scenes there with a lot of local bands and groups of a high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

chosen1 wrote: »

Few of us were in Omagh on Sat night last year for a match, went to that place thought it was dead tbh but this was in February. One lovely old style pub in that complex, good set up overall if its going to be lively

• Advertisement

There is a lot of nonsense in this post tbh but people already responded to most of it.

But...one point...the Ulster fry can be amazing....you must have had a bad one....fresh soda bread, potato bread and a good quality sausage (no beans in sight) you honestly can't beat it (very occasionally)

Advertisement