Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest way you've seen someone lose it all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....or stuck at it, and was driven insane by the boss! Sometimes lifes just too short to stick at something just for the money

working on building sites is very tough work, all the lads I worked with who were in their 30's and 40's had bad backs, knees etc, some of them were in constant pain. plus the young lad would have missed out on college life for a few years, all young people should get to experience that. He could get his degree and make loads of money for less strenuous work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Quickest way....eh..death usually has a fairly immediate impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Online gambling, know 2 people who were well off and both destroyed themselves in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pgj2015 wrote: »
    working on building sites is very tough work, all the lads I worked with who were in their 30's and 40's had bad backs, knees etc, some of them were in constant pain. plus the young lad would have missed out on college life for a few years, all young people should get to experience that. He could get his degree and make loads of money for less strenuous work.

...and us college educated ones need to get over ourselves with our superiority complexes, yup the trades is tough, very very tough, but extremely important that people do it, you can be damn sure many folks learned far more on a site than any classroom. we need to learn to respect these kind of workers, theyre just as important than us classroom folks, and some can and do become very wealthy for their efforts, and best of luck to them, classrooms arent for all

...and us college educated ones need to get over ourselves with our superiority complexes, yup the trades is tough, very very tough, but extremely important that people do it, you can be damn sure many folks learned far more on a site than any classroom. we need to learn to respect these kind of workers, theyre just as important than us classroom folks, and some can and do become very wealthy for their efforts, and best of luck to them, classrooms arent for all

I certainly dont think im superior to trades people. But I suppose I was just fed up of the sites and saw this young lad who was a sound guy being treated like dirt by his boss. He said he was waiting on his leaving results, I said if you get a course, take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

An uncle of mine went under as well owing 3.5 million or something like that, 12 years later and they're still after him, his house is secure as he built it under a sons name 20 years ago, pepper bought all his loans and are hounding him for payment which they'll never get, he doesn't even respond to them anymore as he knows there's nothing they can do, hes 70 now and still does small jobs for cash and spends his time gardening and cycling, hes never been happier and more power to him

I have a pal who was self employed for years , when the last recession kicked in everything went on him.His house is safe and he potters around doing a few oddjobs keeping himself busy.
    He always says , if he jumoed iff Liberty Hall , he'd never hit the ground because he owes that much money one of his bank managers would catch him.

I have a trade myself and was only briefly self employed, eventually went back to college and now work in a completely different feild.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I certainly dont think im superior to trades people. But I suppose I was just fed up of the sites and saw this young lad who was a sound guy being treated like dirt by his boss. He said he was waiting on his leaving results, I said if you get a course, take it.

unfortunately i suspect sites is where the rejected end up, and many of those lads are well capable of achieving in a classroom, if given the right tools to do so, many do become great trades people though, and we d be fcuked without them

unfortunately i suspect sites is where the rejected end up, and many of those lads are well capable of achieving in a classroom, if given the right tools to do so, many do become great trades people though, and we d be fcuked without them

I agree, especially as mature students. A lot of people though, once they start something think that that is all they are capable of and stick with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just deleted some posts regarding as yet unfounded allegations against a public figure, no more of that please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Frank McNamara - use to be a respected, successful, middle-brow composer/musician. Now he's playing at funerals scraping a living after the banks tried to take his home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭corks finest

When i got married.

Twice as bad for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Buddy of mine in a good job did E one night and lost it, homeless in Amsterdam afaik.

I guessing that this is only a tiny part of the story and that's being generous.

I have a pal who was self employed for years , when the last recession kicked in everything went on him.His house is safe and he potters around doing a few oddjobs keeping himself busy.
    He always says , if he jumoed iff Liberty Hall , he'd never hit the ground because he owes that much money one of his bank managers would catch him.

I have a trade myself and was only briefly self employed, eventually went back to college and now work in a completely different feild.

Self employment in the free state is a complete bollox methinks, construction wise anyway, several of my friends worked 70/80 hours for several years but nothing to show for it except health problems,get sick and you're goosed,yeahhhhh its slightly better than it was but only slightly, myself and my mate made a complete hames of it also

Afaik thats why mick wallace is held in such huge esteem in wexford,he fended off banks and taxman long enough to pay off the small independant contractors before going under himself

He also raided his employees pension fund and signedover his Italian vineyard to his brother so NAMA wouldn’t take it off them.

The Robin Hood story about Wallace is bullshït. He’s a fūcking chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

He also raided his employees pension fund and signedover his Italian vineyard to his brother so NAMA wouldn’t take it off them.

The Robin Hood story about Wallace is bullshït. He’s a fūcking chancer.

Look how many people see Quinn as an absolute hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Afaik thats why mick wallace is held in such huge esteem in wexford,he fended off banks and taxman long enough to pay off the small independant contractors before going under himself

There’s another local fella who went bang for €28m. He was a flash Harry who borrowed up to his bollocks to lead a life that was completely alien to him. He went to the wall, declared himself bankrupt and disappeared to the UK for a couple of years. He came back and started a business again and around town was viewed as some sort of hero for some strange reason. No mention of the umpteen local lads that he completely screwed over or the lies he told to get into the position of power that he did.

The builder who went belly up but had the decency to look after people is viewed as a loser while this guy is seen by some sort of hero.

Motivator wrote: »
    There’s another local fella who went bang for €28m. He was a flash Harry who borrowed up to his bollocks to lead a life that was completely alien to him. He went to the wall, declared himself bankrupt and disappeared to the UK for a couple of years. He came back and started a business again and around town was viewed as some sort of hero for some strange reason. No mention of the umpteen local lads that he completely screwed over or the lies he told to get into the position of power that he did.

The builder who went belly up but had the decency to look after people is viewed as a loser while this guy is seen by some sort of hero.
    Anyone who screws local ppl are just utter *****,no excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Self employment in the free state is a complete bollox methinks, construction wise anyway, several of my friends worked 70/80 hours for several years but nothing to show for it except health problems,get sick and you're goosed,yeahhhhh its slightly better than it was but only slightly, myself and my mate made a complete hames of it also

Wheres the free state?

Wheres the free state?

Same place it is since ye gave the 6 counties away

vriesmays wrote: »
    There's a well-known theatre director in the South East who was highly respected for winning awards for his stage work. Now he's an alcoholic, diabetic with an amputated leg.

Life is extremely hard for some poor devil's

• Advertisement

Same place it is since ye gave the 6 counties away

Not a bad move by the looks of things recently

Not a bad move by the looks of things recently

Think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ireland is unusual in that we dont have a whole lot of respect for those who earn a living using their hands .

Think so?

Definitely, 26 counties is plenty

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ireland is unusual in that we dont have a whole lot of respect for those who earn a living using their hands .

ireland needs to take its head out of its hole, without these folks, our economy and society would be screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Motivator wrote: »

if one is locally popular they can get away with anything , being from a popular family adds to it too , place i grew up , a guy literally killed another fella ( not deliberately but a punch up after a days drinking ) , never did his popularity a bit of harm , guy has no shame anyway but those kind of brass necked clients just see everything wash off them

its all about perspective. working for an a$$hole boss or similar colleagues for years could leave you in bad health as well. I am self employed and have never been as happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

these folks
    these kind of workers

Christ your virtue signalling makes them sound like a different species :D

hurikane wrote: »
    Christ your virtue signalling makes them sound like a different species :D

ah no, im the different one, theyre just the vital ones

• Advertisement

Definitely, 26 counties is plenty

For millennials maybe,but any honest proud irish person wants a United ireland,be it now or the near future

Advertisement