Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland with my Non-Eu partner

• 09-04-2021 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am Portuguese female currently living in France with my partner who is also a female on a student visa (her nationality is moroccan).

We have been living together for almost a year and I plan to return to Ireland by the end of the year. My partner is qualified in the public health sector and currently finishing her second masters here in France. Finding work while outside Ireland is proving to be difficult for her as she needs a visa.

I lived in Ireland for many years and been out of the country 2 years I have a secured job to return but I am not sure how to proceed in order to legally bring my girlfriend with me?

Anyone been through the same? I even considered making our relationship official but with Covid it seems it is hard to get an appointment for getting married.

If anyone can provide some tips or share their experience I appreciate it a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭dennyk

She could claim EU treaty rights here as your de facto partner, but you'd have to have been living together and in a durable relationship for at least two years. As such, she probably wouldn't qualify yet by the end of this year, if you've only been together for less than a year as of now. If you were married, though, I believe she'd be eligible at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My wife's brother had this issue. His partner is Malaysian. They had to marry to be certain. They married in Singapore and it was recognised here. She was able to naturalise her residency after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rachelf91

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My wife's brother had this issue. His partner is Malaysian. They had to marry to be certain. They married in Singapore and it was recognised here. She was able to naturalise her residency after that.

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it. In case of marriage before coming back to Ireland would she apply for normal tourist visa and then go apply for permit to stay or she would have to apply for spouse visa from beginning?

Advertisement