Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staycations, are they happening?

• 07-04-2021 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

So I went online to see if I could book a week away later this year and there's almost nothing available for months. Is it that places are not allowing bookings or are places booked up months in advance? My wife is I'm uno compromised so we wanted to rent a house. A pet friendly property. But literally cannot find anything available online. There are a few properties but none suit or look great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Booked out since the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Caranica wrote: »
    Booked out since the start of the year

When will they be opening up? Any idea or has government suggested when they might be allowing holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Id imagine there be plenty of options on the likes of airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nodferatu wrote: »
    When will they be opening up? Any idea or has government suggested when they might be allowing holidays?

A speech in January said that international holidays wouldn't be an option this year and caused a flurry of bookings for the school holidays. My sister went looking a few weeks later and said everything was booked up. They managed to get a cottage for the June bank holiday weekend but that was it, nothing available in July or August. Touch and go if they'll be allowed to go.

Nothing has been said about dates yet but people took the chance and booked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

In late December/early January (before all the talk of no international travel this Summer), we decided to have a Plan B and booked 2 weeks in Ireland in August. Airbnb with a flexible cancellation policy. There was good availability at that point.
    But it changed a short couple of weeks later.

Our Plan A was France on the Ferry at the end of June and that is not happening now.
    Last year we left it too late to book something in Ireland after our holiday abroad was cancelled and didn't get any break so I didn't want that to happen this Summer.
    If we can't go, we can cancel without losing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Nodferatu wrote: »
    So I went online to see if I could book a week away later this year and there's almost nothing available for months. Is it that places are not allowing bookings or are places booked up months in advance? My wife is I'm uno compromised so we wanted to rent a house. A pet friendly property. But literally cannot find anything available online. There are a few properties but none suit or look great.

Some websites that may be worth searching for self catering.
    Vrbo.com
    Booking.com
    Arbnb
    Dreamireland.com
    Holidaylettings.co.uk

Some properties have not yet been advertised while people have booked multiple breaks as a result of the very flexible cancellation policies. I wouldn't ne losing faith just yet. Keep an eye on things also done deal is worth a look for self catering.

If you are on Facebook there are a few staycation groups where owners advertise. Don't be afraid to bargain and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Some good advice there from Cape Clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I just booked a 2 Bed apartment in Killarney for Mon to Friday in July on Air Bn B.

There does seem to be places available, 2-4 bedroom places around Kerry, in July anyway. Might take some jiggery pokery with dates and locations.

As poster above says, more will trickle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

Booked a seaside town, looked for months but by chance one littely came up a few minutes before I checked one day. Apparently things have been booked out since start of year. I also tried booking a hotel but no availability left during school holidays. People booked early as knew we couldn't go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

junebabies wrote: »
    Booked a seaside town, looked for months but by chance one littely came up a few minutes before I checked one day. Apparently things have been booked out since start of year. I also tried booking a hotel but no availability left during school holidays. People booked early as knew we couldn't go abroad.

I wouldn’t be so sure about us not being able to go abroad this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Keep checking back. A lot of people seemed to have booked multiple accommodations and will be cancelling them closer the time. Also, if vaccinated people do decide to go abroad, that could free up some accommodations here. But yes, it is slim pickings at the moment. But keep trying!

Advertisement