Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from mullingar to dublin

• 03-04-2021 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hey anyone recommend mullingar as a place to live? How frequent are the trains? Current timetables seem to be scaled back due to covid, anyone know what normal train to dublin is like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Public transport is currently operating on a Saturday service.

I'm not sure how much better the service from Mullingar would be on a regular Monday to Friday timetable but safe to say it "wouldn't be great".

What would be very important from your point of view is that you have fairly set hours so you can leave when expected and catch your train as frequency wouldn't be great. If you're taking a job that there's an expectation you work late on a regular basis, it would make the train an unattractive option.

No doubt someone on here could tell you more though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

There’s also Bus Eireann 115 route plus I think a few additional expressway buses.
    Also the option of driving part of the way and getting train from Maynooth.
    As for Mullingar it’s a nice place to live with plenty of amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know someone who used to do it. Nearly killed her.

Took her longer to get from Lucan to Dublin 8 than it did from Mullingar to Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Anyone used the m4 direct bus https://www.m4direct.ie/ Seems like the job , hoping to live in the mullingar town itself and i might even be able to walk to the bus stop.
    I certainly know the "lucan to dublin 8 " part of the journey from a past life and I am recently used to commuting from another town which itself takes an hour and 45 to get me to harcourt area so if it could be done within 2 hours i would be happy. Where i live is certainly worse served with buses than mullingar however the newbridge train spoils me 25mins to hueston i cant get over how long the advertised train journey times are from mullingar,an hour and a half!!! How!

I wonder will traffic be lighter post covid with thousands working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DRice wrote: »
    i cant get over how long the advertised train journey times are from mullingar,an hour and a half!!! How!

A lot more stops on the Maynooth line, and no quad tracking unlike Hazelhatch to Heuston(ish).

• Advertisement

Advertised bus times are an hour 15 which to me seems abitious given the potential gridlock on the chapelizod bypass and of course the quays. Its the double whammy of the long motorway drive then the heavy town traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

DRice wrote: »
    Advertised bus times are an hour 15 which to me seems abitious given the potential gridlock on the chapelizod bypass and of course the quays. Its the double whammy of the long motorway drive then the heavy town traffic

I thought the N4 was pretty much bus lane all the way from the M50 to O'Connell Bridge.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I thought the N4 was pretty much bus lane all the way from the M50 to O'Connell Bridge.
    Thats right of course. I think there are a couple of spots where the bus temporarily joins the main traffic but i dont think its too bad.

Advertisement