Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking an American Football Team to Support

• 09-03-2021 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been watching All or Nothing on Amazon Prime. Have watched Season 1 (Arizona Cardinals), Season 2 (LA Rams) and am starting Season 3 (Cowboys).

I started watching it as I like sports documentaries but I am really enjoying it and am interested in starting to watch the sport.

I’m just wondering how people have chosen what team they support?

I’m leaning towards picking a team in an area which I would be happy to travel to, if I ever did, for a game, so am looking at:

New York

Florida - Tampa seem to be the closest team but would seem very glory hunting to go with them!

Boston - are the Patriots on the way down though?
    They’ve nearly had too much recent success to support!

Would be interested in hearing some opinions and for people to throw out a reason why a particular team would be interesting.

Another option is to pick a player in the draft, such as a new QB, and go with them, wherever they end up!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think if you just watch for half a season then your team will likely find you.

East Coast teams are more likely to be in the early slot on a Sunday, which makes being a fan easier.

Politics maybe, is there a fan base you'd feel more comfortable with?
    https://learcenter.org/nflpolitics/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Most people I know who didn't get into it on the back of another person getting them involved basically picked the underdog in the first game they watched in full, often the Superbowl.

For me it was the 96/97 Bowl where the underdog Pats got thrashed by Green Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've been following the Seahawks since a particular game that struck a chord with me on the late 80s. They're (currently) reasonably successful while not being in any way dominant. Very vocal fans and famed for the decibel level at home games. Lovely city to visit in a beautiful state. Russell Wilson is a great player and DK Metcalf is a superstar of the future who's an interesting character (he'd better stay and they'd better get the most out of him)
    A downside is the games are often late, it's further to get to than the east coast, although you can live with an 8 hour flight. And you'll never go there for the weather. They're fairly unpopular with neutral fans too, which might be a pro or a con depending on how you feel.
    But like someone said above, watch a few weeks and some storyline, player or game will click with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think if you just watch for half a season then your team will likely find you.

East Coast teams are more likely to be in the early slot on a Sunday, which makes being a fan easier.

It's not how I got the Broncos, but Armani is right here.

The team always picks you.

Watch a load of games over the first few weeks and you'll feel it.

Picking the Patriots, Tampa and the Cowboys is just a plain old nope though. Don't do that to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is Sky the only way to watch the games here in ROI?

• Advertisement

It's not how I got the Broncos, but Armani is right here.

The team always picks you.

Watch a load of games over the first few weeks and you'll feel it.

Picking the Patriots, Tampa and the Cowboys is just a plain old nope though. Don't do that to yourself.

I wasn’t picking all three. Sort of had those three on my shortlist. Will pick one to actually support.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Sky the only way to watch the games here in ROI?

NFL Gamepass gives you every game and more for €140ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭markc91

I picked the Minnesota Vikings as I wanted to pick a team that have never won the superbowl, been to a record 4 without winning. Also had a beautiful new stadium when I started watching back in 2015 which ive been to in 2018. So hopefully if they ever get to another Superbowl I might get to see them win it!

I wasn’t picking all three. Sort of had those three on my shortlist. Will pick one to actually support.

I wasn't thinking you were gonna pick all three.

I was suggesting you avoid all three for reasons that will become clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I’m leaning towards picking a team in an area which I would be happy to travel to, if I ever did, for a game, so am looking at:

You don't necessarily have to do that. As mentioned, quite often the team picks you and in the mid-90s I didn't want to go mainstream with the Cowboys, Raiders, 49ers etc. so the unfashionable Chiefs jumped out to me. Missouri would never have been a holiday destination but in November 2018, after 24 years of being a Chiefs fan, I got to a game at Arrowhead and it was an unbelievable experience.

If it wasn't for the Chiefs I wouldn't have experienced downtown Kansas in the snow and the really nice people who couldn't have been more welcoming once we got beyond the "wtf are you doing *here*?" questions :D

If I wasn't a Chiefs fan, somewhere like Cleveland would be quite appealing or Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Carolina maybe. A place I would never go if it wasn't for the random connection of following the sports team. Sometimes going a bit left field can work out great so don't rule it out.

Edit: Having said all that, if I was starting fresh now I'd probably pick the Raiders so I have an excuse to go back to Vegas again :pac:

• Advertisement

If you look at the teams now, their history and location you should find someone that you like.

Or you could just pick the nicest logo / jersey or the basement team because maybe, just maybe they will make the playoffs in 20 years time.

Relations living there can be a factor. That was part of how I ended up with the 49ers but the person that introduced me was also a fan as well so the two factors decided for me

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Any of your mates have a team? Perhaps a divisional rival to add a bit of spice to the season?

You have an advantage in that you've at least watched some football and have a bit of a clue about teams, etc. I knew nothing about NFL ahead of the 2015 season but wanted to get involved with the lads' Sunday evening festivities so was picking a team blind. I chose the Lions.

Another way of doing it is checking out who won the SB the year you were born!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

HOW BOUT DEM RAVENS!

markc91 wrote: »

I could have the Raiders as they were the ones who won the SB in 1984 or the 49ers who won the SB at the end of the 1984 season...

As a Broncos fan I would rather drink piss.

From my POV, based on how I acquired my own fandom, to my gf's Cleveland fandom to the rest of my mates and how they got their teams, the simple thing was that the "team picked them".

I would watch the draft this year and then just watching a heap of games come the start of the season and someone will seep in. And then the misery can begin.

It's the hope that kills you though, and watching us win it all at SB50 is one of my favourite sporting memories. And that's saying something as a Dublin season Ticket holder and someone who has had the pleasure of supporting Ireland abroad in numerous sports on several continents.

Let it wash over you. And let the team pick you. Once it's not the patriots.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Once it's not the patriots.

A very important point here.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. The one place in America I have loads of relations is Boston but I think the Pats would be a boring pick and, from comments on here, they seem hated - is that just because they are successful?

From the All or Nothing seasons I have watched, I have to say the Rams have struck a chord with me so far. Their season was 2016 when they drafted Goff and started him around halfway through the season.

Plus, even as someone knowing very little about football, Jeff Fisher was just so hopeless it was funny!

Have to say I was shocked to hear they had traded Goff. I’m hearing though Stafford, despite being 33, is definitely an upgrade.

They also play in blue (I’m from Cavan) and who wouldn’t love a team has celebs like Britney Spears just show up at training with her kids - hah!

markc91 wrote: »

The Redskins who are now Washington Football Team - are they not going to rebrand?

Edit- although the LA Raiders won it at the end of the 83 season so another link to LA, albeit a different team!

Yeah WFT going through a rebuild, they were the best of the worst division in football last season so made the playoffs but were one-and-done against the bucs. LA Raiders have now moved to Vegas and are a solid team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What age are you OP ?

Personally speaking I don't think it's possible to just pick a team to support in any sport after your teenage years, unless a team are local to you.

As others have alluded to it's certain games or seasons that attach you to a team.

In my early teens I loved the Falcons because they went 4-0 to start 1986 and were on the cover of some NFL magazine I bought.

But then I got older and lost interest, until I moved to Boston in the 1996 season, and sure enough the local team went to a SB.
    I became a big fan of the Pats during the time I was there.

I moved back home a few months after they won their first SB and the start of the TB era.

Now I'm not particularly a fan of any team, I just love the game.

I still like the Pats.

I still would love to see Atlanta win, the SB v the Pats a few years ago was a win win for me.

I loved it when Denver and Elway won their first SB.

I like the Bills now because after 4 straight SB losses and decades in the doldrums they now look like a team that could challenge, led by a really exciting young QB.

I'd love to see the Browns challenge after years of being as basket case.

I've always had a soft spot for New Orleans, because they used to suck and then pulled off one of the greatest plays in a SB ever.

I really enjoyed Seattle's rise because I think Carroll got run out of New England back in the day.

I hate Baltimore ever since the Ray Lewis incident in 2000 and the awful SB the next year.
    I just cannot warm to them.

I'm sick of Pittsburgh and Green Bay at this stage.

You should sit down on a Sunday night and watch Redzone OP and just enjoy the brilliant game that it is, as others said a team will find you, rather than trying to support any particular team for some arbitrary reason.

• Advertisement

The Redskins who are now Washington Football Team - are they not going to rebrand?

Edit- although the LA Raiders won it at the end of the 83 season so another link to LA, albeit a different team!

Right, maybe not the way to pick if you end up with Washington

Why not watch a few games and see what players jump out at you.

When I started watching I remember Joe Montana and Jerry Rice were the business but I didn’t like the 49’ers.

I probably started off following the Dolphins because of Dan Marino but I remember being in awe of Art Monk and how elegant he was and also his outrageous catches so I always watched him when he was playing.

I was in and out of the sport but I remember watching the Eagles one night and Randall Cunningham was ridiculous. They were complete dog**** (from memory) and he was a one man team and I think was even their leading rusher (or one of as I don’t trust my memory) and was just a maverick. It’s always been the Eagles since then.

Watch a few games and let a team or player stand out and give you a reason to support them.

Not that I recommend it personally, but one unique thing is that the Packers are the only fan-owned team in the league. That might appeal to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not that I recommend it personally, but one unique thing is that the Packers are the only fan-owned team in the league. That might appeal to some.

Plus they have a great history and come for a (relatively) small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hi Lemlin, I'm a Bears fan.

My advice is to you is to not become a Bears fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Where I wanted to travel to. Tennessee Titans. Nashville has country music, ice hockey (Predators) and football. Not a bad spot IMO.

And you should get on the Titans before the bandwagon starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Hi Lemlin, I'm a Bears fan.

My advice is to you is to not become a Bears fan.

Same advice here from a Raiders fan - don't become a Bears Fan!... :p

Just kidding I wouldn't recommend being a Raiders fan either right now. its been a tough 35+ years since we have been consistently good and most of the time we are not even entertaining to watch. Only plus is home games in Sin City now

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭DJ_Eoghan

as a Pats fan, I'd like to say anybody but the Jets. Indeed, as a humanist, I'd say anybody but the Jets, nobody needs a lifetime of misery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I started playing the Madden video game series in the early 2000's and came across this little team that had a great defense at the time, along with a pretty solid offense. nothing amazing but I liked how they played.

Fast forward 18 years and i regret every day that i had to pick the Jaguars as my team :( all joking aside, its been a rollercoaster of emotions being a Jags fan over the last 18 years. a couple of playoff appearances, more seasons of misery than i can count. Got to travel over to Jacksonville for a game on my 30th birthday a couple of years ago (city is nothing special, but game atmosphere was actually pretty great). I wouldn't change any of it for the world, because i know if we do become successful again it will be all the more sweet after the years and years and years of misery :D

have also been up to Green Bay for a game with a few friends who are Packers fans, now that is a place where football is King. absolutely loved game day up there and if i wasn't a Jags fan i would be supporting the Packers all the way just so I could keep going back to Green Bay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

D-FENCE

Nothing better to watch than a crushing sack or clattering the running back. One of my favourite games was the Ravens sacking Alex Smith for the 49ers nine times

I picked the Ravens where their defense was legendary. Still good but not so famous anymore

Advertisement