Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

breezy1985 wrote: »
    12:15 on the app not sure if regular TV is the same

Is that Saturday or Sunday guys ?

Saturday (tomorrow) and it's looking like a dry day weather wise now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is that Saturday or Sunday guys ?

Strade Bianche is Saturday.

Sunday sees the start of Paris-Nice "the race to the Sun", with Sam Bennett lined up for that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Saturday (tomorrow) and it's looking like a dry day weather wise now :(

Cool. Don't know anything about the race but

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/five-things-to-look-out-for-at-strade-bianche-2021-492420

educated me. Star studded field this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya sorry it was 2020 I saw

I watched about an hour of the 2019 race last year on Eurosport before coverage of the 2020 race started, until I realised Van Aert was in the previous team's kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I watched about an hour of the 2019 race last year on Eurosport before coverage of the 2020 race started, until I realised Van Aert was in the previous team's kit.

It is bizarre scheduling!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Fintan Ryan is racing in the GP Jean-Pierre Monseré in Belgium tomorrow, and it's live on Eurosport at 12:35 from the looks of it.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/ryan-ready-for-the-deep-end-as-evopro-hit-the-road-in-belgium-40165831.html

Is he related to young Archie Ryan who rides for Jumbo-Visma Development Team maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Is he related to young Archie Ryan who rides for Jumbo-Visma Development Team maybe?

No relation.
    Archie's twin Will also races, I can't remember the team, used to be Evo Pro maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

There's another Irish rider in todays race in Belgium... Rory Townsend. Heard the name last week during Le Samyn but couldn't place him from anywhere. Born and raised in the UK, he has raced in the national champs and featured in one edition of the Des Hanlon. Looks like he declared for Ireland between 2016 and 2017.

Looks like DQS picked this as a potential confidence booster for Cavendish if he can get involved today. Tim Merlier favourite after last week, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,331 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

velo.2010 wrote: »
    There's another Irish rider in todays race in Belgium... Rory Townsend. Heard the name last week during Le Samyn but couldn't place him from anywhere. Born and raised in the UK, he has raced in the national champs and featured in one edition of the Des Hanlon. Looks like he declared for Ireland between 2016 and 2017.

Looks like DQS picked this as a potential confidence booster for Cavendish if he can get involved today. Tim Merlier favourite after last week, I'd say.

He was on the national team for the Yorkshire worlds and might have been our last finisher

Eddie Dunbar is racing in Italy today at GP Industria & Artigianato not sure why GCN/Eurosport aren't showing it as it's a race they've shown in the past and is usually a good race.

EDIT: Go Eddie, launched an attack on the climb hasn't got much of a gap but the peloton is splitting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Ah poor Richie Porte.

Looks like we are going to get a sprint today at Paris/Nice. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

bazermc wrote: »
    Ah poor Richie Porte.

The Ineos marginal gains cant counter the Porte bad luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭griffin100

That was a great win for Sam, no train and miles back when he started the sprint. He’s getting better and better.

I thought he was boxed in for sure there, as fine a win as i've seen for Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,331 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Everything about that build up was going against Sam and he still nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That's a huge statement from Sam....Arnaud who?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Unreal power from Bennett. I think he may have lost team mates in the crash. I'm pretty sure I seen a DQS rider in a bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Did Morkov crash? Looked like he had at least one lead out before the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭griffin100

The overhead of the last km shows Sam threading his way through the field and muscling others (fairly!) out of the way when he got boxed in. Brilliant to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

That was a "beast" of a sprint from Sammy B.

Did Morkov crash? Looked like he had at least one lead out before the crash

From the replay if it was him he managed to stop just behind it and stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Pffft, who needs drops when you can just sprint on the hoods!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No teammates for a lead-out, he wins by 2 bike lengths .....having only started his sprint from maybe 120m. And he clearly didn't need to give it 100%. That was one of the best wins of his career.
    Buildling nicely for MSR.........less than 2 weeks now. Lets hope he stays safe in the rest of this race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Separate thread for Paris-Nice coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Shocking decision there by the commisars to award the stage win to katie taylor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

happytramp wrote: »
    Shocking decision there by the commisars to award the stage win to katie taylor!

And they gave the yellow jersey to remi cavagna

Advertisement