Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Godzilla vs. Kong [2021]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The perfect mindless Covid antidote.. hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

79% /95% audience , good enough for me

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/godzilla_vs_kong

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Didn't care about the human stuff at all just the lads busting the head off each other....I could of watched 4 hours of a big gorilla and atomic breathe lizard bating seven shades outta each other

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wish I could have seen it in the cinema. Would probably have enjoyed it more.

As it is, it's alright. I will say it either needed to be longer in order to have more with the human characters or to have completely cut the Godzilla related characters as there were completely pointless. Kyle Chandler might as well have not been in the film, and could have easily cut Brown, Henry and Dennison with no real impact. Most of the human stuff was on Skarsgard, Hall and the child, and with a small bit needed for Gonzales and her dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

titan18 wrote: »
    Wish I could have seen it in the cinema. Would probably have enjoyed it more.

As it is, it's alright. I will say it either needed to be longer in order to have more with the human characters or to have completely cut the Godzilla related characters as there were completely pointless. Kyle Chandler might as well have not been in the film, and could have easily cut Brown, Henry and Dennison with no real impact. Most of the human stuff was on Skarsgard, Hall and the child, and with a small bit needed for Gonzales and her dad.

Yes, there was very little need for Brown, Henry and Dennison.
    I guess they were added for comedy effect but they weren't in the least bit funny.

Skarsgard, Hall and the child played their roles very well.

The film definitely needed an extra 15 minutes to flesh out some of the motives, I suspect the original running time was longer, certain characters scenes were visibly cut.

Adam Wingard the director said that “There’s certainly enough footage to make a five-hour version of this film, I’m sure,” “But making a longer film is easier than making a shorter film in a lot of ways. For me, this is the version that worked the best, and I don’t see any reason to do a director’s cut.
    “We did shoot more and there were other parts of the plot that we cut out,” he recalls. “There were other actors and stuff. I mean, Lance Reddick is top billed in the film, because he used to be in the movie more, but his role is very small because we tweaked a couple of plot points.”

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/godzilla-vs-kong-director-adam-wingard-five-hour-cut/

• Advertisement

Hi guys
    I'm trying to rent this film from Amazon Prime on my fire stick but I can't find it in the prime app. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Chief, think yourself lucky. It's not worth it.

That could have easily been the worst film I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Watched it last night, Went to bed.Woke up.Saw an add for it this morning and forgot i watched it the previous night.
    Says it all really.
    A decent friday night flick but totally forgettable.
    The only major gripe i'd have is the fact the best bits in the film were in the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I could definitely see more of the film. You could feasibly have had a two part film there. Godzilla Vs Kong and plots around that and building up to Mechagodzilla destroying lots of stuff in the 2nd film and Kong and Godzilla having to team up then for a big fight.

Maybe something like 2/3 Godzilla vs Kong fights in the first film (one of those in Hollow Earth) and Kong loses and has to stay in Hollow Earth to heal and Godzilla goes back to the main world to keep on attacking Apex. Build up Mechagodzilla in the background with 3 investigating that. Then in the 2nd part, you can have Mechagodzilla appear, kick Godzilla's ass and Godzilla flees to Hollow Earth and then him and Kong team up for a final battle against Mechagodzilla in a Hollow Earth to normal earth showdown. Could even get to introduce more Hollow Earth monsters that way too.

That could have easily been the worst film I've seen in years.

Harsh, I've seen loads much worse in the last few months alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lcomps

Do I need to have seen Kong Skull Island or the oreviy two Godzilla's to watch this?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Watched it last night with my kids. As others have said its a decent film and being able to see the two titans fighting was a bonus.

They could easily have cut the kids and the conspiracy guy out, for me any scenes with them were a chore to sit through.

Thought Mechagodzilla was underused, and the way he was defeated was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

Where is everyone watching? Its not coming up on Prime for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Rodin wrote: »
    The perfect mindless Covid antidote.. hopefully

I heard it is has some decent monsters brawls but it 40 minutes before monsters cross paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Sirsok wrote: »
    Didn't care about the human stuff at all just the lads busting the head off each other....I could of watched 4 hours of a big gorilla and atomic breathe lizard bating seven shades outta each other

Unfortunately the filmmakers and the studio suits don’t understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

numbernine wrote: »
    Where is everyone watching? Its not coming up on Prime for me

Sky and NOW TV, it’s available on the Store.
    17e

I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Utterly atrocious, somehow worse than the last one.

Complete waste of time, probably the worst movie I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

It was grand, not a patch on Skull island though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Loved first 50 mins but it lost my attention more and more as film went on. I was so disappointed in the last fight scene. To many characters and stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sirsok wrote: »
    Unfortunately the filmmakers and the studio suits don’t understand that.
    Much as I love a good monster fight, I need the human parts. I don't care how thinly realised the characters are, just watching monsters fight would grow old very quickly.

Found it reasonably enjoyable.
    However, unlike Skull Island (with decent human characters) I don't see myself watching it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saw it at the weekend. It's a film of two halves.

The plot and writing are complete scutter. It makes no sense and I just switched off for it as I didn't care and hated all the characters.

And then the Monkey and the Lizard started fighting and I was all on board. Really enjoyed the battles as the sense of scale and destruction was excellent. It's just unfortunate they they were interrupted every so often by annoying humans.

I did like the evangelion references.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Could of done with an extra 10-15 minutes of Godzilla and King Kong fighting. That sub plot with the kids was totally pointless and could have been cut.

Thought the design for Mechagodzilla was fairly pish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Watched it last night. I prefer all of the other movies that preceded this one to be honest. Not sure why it is reviewing so well. It's enjoyable for what it is, but a bit of a let-down considering the reviews it has gotten. That's the subjectivity of movies I guess. To me something like The Synder Cut of Justice League is miles ahead of this yet critics like this better (marginally).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

techdiver wrote: »
    Watched it last night. I prefer all of the other movies that preceded this one to be honest. Not sure why it is reviewing so well. It's enjoyable for what it is, but a bit of a let-down considering the reviews it has gotten. That's the subjectivity of movies I guess. To me something like The Synder Cut of Justice League is miles ahead of this yet critics like this better (marginally).
    jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dades wrote: »
    Much as I love a good monster fight, I need the human parts. I don't care how thinly realised the characters are, just watching monsters fight would grow old very quickly.

Found it reasonably enjoyable.
    However, unlike Skull Island (with decent human characters) I don't see myself watching it again.

a movie with plastic characters where monsters fight has only worked perfectly once and that was in Pacific Rim , if anything the ropey acting almost adds to the enjoyment as it was such a B movie albeit with a huge budget , Edris Elba being the exception in terms of a passable performance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would irish cinemas show it during the summer?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

silverharp wrote: »
    would irish cinemas show it during the summer?
    Probably depends on the level of releases by the time they open. Could see it happening though, when cinemas did re-open the last time there was plenty of the films that went to VOD during the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Milanative wrote: »
    jesus christ

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

terrible movie, same as Bobby browns 'acting' ......

I fell asleep twice during it, but what i saw was scutter.... 12yr old kinda enjoyed it though .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement