Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate practice setup

Options
  • 16-01-2021 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey folks. I need to redesign my practice room rig, I play electric and double bass, thinking of repurposing my decent hifi speakers to playback from Spotify, etc., and a miked up classic bass 15" speaker + smallish tube amp head, all going thru a small tidy mixer into good Bluetooth headphones so I don't devalue my house ðŸ˜. Anyone got thoughts on this or recommend a possible speaker cab and amp? I know the idea's a bit ridiculous but I need a lockdown project and some practice motivation....

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Why would you put speakers through a mixer into headphones? If you want a silent solution for jamming along to music, I'd go for a bass head with a line in, like the rh-750. There's cheaper options available of course, but that'll give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I use a Zoom B14 for bass. Drum tracks, some effects and looper.

Costs about 70e

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

For my keyboards I use a small Behringer mixer that I plug the keyboards into directly. I've also plugged in my bass from time to time.

The mixer is connected to a mini desktop computer using a seperate USB interface so I can play along to anything , say on YouTube or an mp3, or fire up Band in a Box accompaniment s/w or a sight reading app,. A hardware drum machine (remember them) is connected to another input as is a microphone which I only use for zoom lessons. I have other s/w to slow down, loop or pitch shift any music file i want (which also works on YouTube videos).

I have midi connections between the keyboard and the computer.

My tutor can hear my playing through the mixer and its all silent unless I choose to switch on my power amplifier which is connected to one of the outputs from the mixer. This plays through an old pair of 8 inch hifi speakers sat on a shelf above my piano and are plenty loud enough to damage hearing, property, relationships etc. I do however also have a 4x8 bass cab sat under the piano that I plan to connect up to fill out the bass a bit.

All in all, it works pretty well. I have a 22 inch monitor sat directly above the keyboard which allows me to read pdf scores, and I have a music stand which is kind of built around the monitor for the paper stuff.

Finally I have a homemade 4 button footpedal which emulates keystrokes and so can control most of the above.

I should probably spend more time practicing and less time fiddling with gear.

Sparkman, do you know a localish double bass tutor ? I'm going through a bit of a phase thinking about acquiring a EUB....it may pass....

Advertisement