Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Masters 29 January ITV4

• 05-01-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Just announced that the format has been changed from top 16 to top 24. First round will be best of 11 then best of 19 though.
    Good change in my opinion

2021 Masters first round

Joe Cullen v Stephen Bunting
    Michael Smith v Adrian Lewis
    Glen Durrant v Mervyn King
    Ian White v Mensur Suljovic
    Jose De Sousa v Jonny Clayton
    Dimitri Van den Bergh v Chris Dobey
    Krzysztof Ratajski v Simon Whitlock
    Daryl Gurney v Jeffrey de Zwaan

2021 Masters second round

Gerwyn Price v Cullen/Bunting
    Gary Anderson v Smith/Lewis
    Rob Cross v Durrant/King
    Nathan Aspinall v White/Suljovic
    Michael van Gerwen v De Sousa/Clayton
    James Wade v Van den Bergh/Dobey
    Peter Wright v Ratajski/Whitlock
    Dave Chisnall v Gurney/de Zwaan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Nice

Possible rematch between Price and Bunting
    Michael Smith v Adrian Lewis be interesting too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I have seen people complaining about this comp on forums.

Its always the same bitter twisted bdo lovers who resent the PDC for being successful.
    One guy complained there is less people getting money, usually the retarded notion that the players #9 - #16 who were once assured of 5k might only get 2..5k if the lose to the new players added.

The guy was too dense to grasp there is an extra 8 players in the comp.
    That is 8 more players getting a pay day
    That is 8 extra matches on TV
    25 players getting a pay instead of 16
    Prizefund gone up by 20k

Yet some people complain.....then bdo fans always hated live darts, and players getting a decent pay day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think the tournament is a complete an utter waste of time. I don't think I've ever watched a dart thrown in it.

If the PDC are so worried about giving players a pay day, maybe they should make it ranked and give the lower ranked players a chance of qualifying, you know the players that actually NEED an extra pay day, not the top 24 that already make enough money for a living.

Ah I don't know

Plenty of other sports have invitational tournaments, snooker, golf etc...

At the end of the day it brings the top 24 players together and always interesting to see what the form is like after the world champs - especially with a new world champ and with so many of the so-called top players having bombed in the Worlds eg Smith, Wright, Wade etc..

Plenty of other opportunities during the year for players to qualify for tournaments

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I think the tournament is a complete an utter waste of time. I don't think I've ever watched a dart thrown in it.

If the PDC are so worried about giving players a pay day, maybe they should make it ranked and give the lower ranked players a chance of qualifying, you know the players that actually NEED an extra pay day, not the top 24 that already make enough money for a living.

Enlighten me, how is an extra 8 players getting a pay day a waste of time.
    I am curious as to your logic to this.

Why is another 8 televised matches a waste of time ? what sort of dart fans dislikes more darts on tv ? Surely more darts on TV, during covid, by the top players would be a good thing not a bad thing.

Maybe it is just me a darts fan, I prefer more darts on TV, Yes it is a non ranked comp, but so is the World Cup, the Premier League, and others.

On the plus side, you are not being forced to watch it, and you can miss this one too like all the others since you obviously dont like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm all for more darts on TV, providing it's ranked.

There's a case to be made for why the Premier League and the World Series exist. I've no idea why The Masters exists. But since it does and they've now increased it to 24 players, who not allow the other 8 spots go to the top 8 from previous years Pro Tour order of merit and make it a ranked tournament. Or top 6 with two qualifier spots.

Currently it's a nothing tournament with the same old legs format giving a pay day to the players in the PDC that need it the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I mean, part of that is because it's stuck on ITV4, no? :P

There's a case to be made for why the Premier League and the World Series exist. I've no idea why The Masters exists. But since it does and they've now increased it to 24 players, who not allow the other 8 spots go to the top 8 from previous years Pro Tour order of merit and make it a ranked tournament. Or top 6 with two qualifier spots.

Currently it's a nothing tournament with the same old legs format giving a pay day to the players in the PDC that need it the least.

I have always believed, and still do that certain events, no matter how much money, exposure etc they have will not ever be a "major".

For example the Premier League has (usually pre covid) Major prize money, major exposure, but its not a true major because it cannot be when top 10 players and proven competition winners, are systematically omitted, whilst players who have never won a tv event are included instead.
    Add in the event is not ranked and it simply fails to be a major.

That is not to say, the PL does not serve a purpose, in much the same way the World Cup might serve one for another reason.

I agree in that ranking darts are more interesting, or at least for me, and would prefer even a ranking Euro tour to this Masters, but its still darts, its live, its televised, and it is something to watch,
    There is also the added bonus that a player who has not been selected for the PL could win this and give the PDC a possible selection problem, if another player not selected goes on to win the UK open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Arguably it'd be a little more unfair if was ranked. Not only would they get the payday but the ranking points would count towards future paydays.

I think Top 16 or Top 24 in the world is fine. It still means that everyone had a fair and level shot at qualifying based on their performance over the past two years.
    Having the 8 extra places being from the one-year list instead would be fine as well, that's a decent idea.

Much prefer that to your other idea of 2 places being retained for a qualifier tournament. That's akin to the Grand Slam where someone binks a run in one afternoon qualifier tournament and gets a place. That's nice for them but doesn't really tie in with the concept of rankings and long-term merit.

non ranked
    has an ex con scumbag on comms
    itv is riddled with begging ads, non stop.

but will still watch it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,559 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling Price is going out early in this

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a feeling Price is going out early in this

I reckon he'll win it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I've a feeling mvg will win it with a tournament average of 110

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭bassy

darts is back oi oi oi

Ian Sh1te chokes on tv yet again.

7 years he has played in this comp, and has never won a single game

durrant getting a thrashing by merve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

88 average for Durrant, could have a rough couple of weeks in premier league

Durrant battered again.

for the last 2 years we had to listen to the hype about durrant and be told the lie he was one of the best in the world.
    Here is a FACT, he never made it in to the pdc top 10, and now he is defending money it will be even harder.

Merv battered him , a full 13 points higher average.

Durrant battered again.

for the last 2 years we had to listen to the hype about durrant and be told the lie he was one of the best in the world.
    Here is a FACT, he never made it in to the pdc top 10, and now he is defending money it will be even harder.

Merv battered him , a full 13 points higher average.

he,s alright he has bought a new house and will make a living from darts

Dont get me wrong, he is a good player, seems a likable lad if a little stupid, but the facts prove he is not a top 10 player, and he most certainly isnt one of the best in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Some farcical commentary from Ned Boulting in the Whitlock game. Including calling the match dart when he went 5-2 up! Made lots of other counting errors too.

come on adey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good standard this game.

Stage layout looks poor

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

As Mason said best Lewis has played in a long time. Good to see him playing consistently well

TbL

Just looking at stats from previous Masters
    Only 3 yrs ago Benito vd Pas was in this, he's had some slide into obscurity

Some farcical commentary from Ned Boulting in the Whitlock game. Including calling the match dart when he went 5-2 up! Made lots of other counting errors too.

Rawling was even as bad, did you not hear him rave about "Glen Anderson" ?

The ex con , wife beating, dole fraudster, and threat issuing Mason came out with some nonsense as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Rawling was even as bad, did you not hear him rave about "Glen Anderson" ?

The ex con , wife beating, dole fraudster, and threat issuing Mason came out with some nonsense as well

As much as we complain about Mardle, at least he knows the players and the scores etc.

Also not a fan of the itv4 advertising. I'll be humming that awful "Play O-jo" jingle in my sleep :(

big difference is darts is free to watch on itv 4 :):)

bassy wrote: »
    big difference is darts is free to watch on itv 4 :):)

with the internet, everything is free to watch :D

• Advertisement

with the internet, everything is free to watch :D

depends on reliability ;)

Advertisement