Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Get shwartzman in, far more inspiring driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

These 2 are gas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mazepin's Twitter account is now devoid of any tweets. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Amazon in talks to broadcast F1, hopefully it works out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That would be good. But for what regions/countries and how long is left on Sky's contract?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

Sky have the contract till 2024 I believe thanks to Bernie's deal a few years back.
    Really looking forward to someone else taking over. Unfortunately for us here in ireland we are stuck with Sky or channel 4 highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

riggerman wrote: »
    Sky have the contract till 2024 I believe thanks to Bernie's deal a few years back.
    Really looking forward to someone else taking over. Unfortunately for us here in ireland we are stuck with Sky or channel 4 highlights.

Any chance sky would be happy to be bought out? Has anything changed? Have viewing figures or subscriptions plunged? Anything like that?

Presumably Sky pays a fortune for the rights. If they’re not getting their money’s worth then they might be happy to withdraw. Otherwise, it might be a good option from 2025 onwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

duploelabs wrote: »
    Amazon in talks to broadcast F1, hopefully it works out

I don't. I know someone who had a subscription with Amazon recently and instead of only taking 7 euros out of that person's bank for the month they took 80 euros out and tried to bull**** there way out of it by saying it was a mistake bla bla bla. Anyways I think they since cancelled with themand zi do not blame them if that is the way Amazon is going to act. You think Sky is bad. Amazon would be worse so be warned.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't. I know someone who had a subscription with Amazon recently and instead of only taking 7 euros out of that person's bank for the month they took 80 euros out and tried to bull**** there way out of it by saying it was a mistake bla bla bla. Anyways I think they since cancelled with themand zi do not blame them if that is the way Amazon is going to act. You think Sky is bad. Amazon would be worse so be warned.

I've had the complete opposite experience with Amazon. Had four parcels showing as delivered on the An Post tracker but they never showed up at start of December. Amazon gave me a refund no questions asked. Also bought something that wasn't what I was expecting and looked to send it back for a refund. They said to keep the item and gave me the refund anyway.

AMKC wrote: »

Never a bother with them. Their sports coverage has been pretty good, both the football and rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Never a bother with them. Their sports coverage has been pretty good, both the football and rugby

… but not available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I've never had better customer care than with Amazon. So quick, attentive, willing to help to resolve issues as quick as possible. Bought a new phone and I didn't like it after a few weeks, got on to Amazon chat and they took it back, no issues, refunded about 48 hours after they received it. When prime went to crap in Ireland (start of the pandemic) I asked them why and they offered a refund because they couldn't keep their promise of 2 day delivery. Their service is second to none in my opinion.

Anjobe wrote: »
    … but not available in Ireland?

I'm sure discussing such matters would be frowned upon here

Saw some of the rugby coverage in the uk and it was good. Indistinguishable from the ITV, BBC, RTE or Sky coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm sure discussing such matters would be frowned upon here

I just rang them and asked to be set to UK video. 2 mins later I was watching PL footie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Does that mean F1 will continue behind a paywall, except for highlights?

rock22 wrote: »
    Does that mean F1 will continue behind a paywall, except for highlights?

No question of that. Unless one of the free-to-air channels bid for it but it looks to be out of their price range now.

Amazon is more affordable than Sky and it brings other benefits which are worth having like Amazon prime delivery

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/23/20-facts-on-2020-telling-stats-on-every-f1-drivers-season/

Some interesting little stats here.

One that surprised me was "Perez was the worst starter, losing 31 places on lap one, an average of 2.07 per race. That included his 13-place loss in Sakhir, from which he remarkably bounced back to win"

And

"Gasly’s Italian Grand Prix victory for AlphaTauri was the first win for a driver not in a Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari since Kimi Raikkonen’s Lotus won the 2013 Australian Grand Prix"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I called it. I knew they wouldn’t sack him.

They gave the company line of outrage and then let the dust settle.

Rightly so too considering what an absolute non event of an incident that it was.

Looking forward to him and Mick battling it out next year.

Would be funny if he did better than Mick considering how many people are in love with schumy’s spawn.

I called it. I knew they wouldn’t sack him.

They gave the company line of outrage and then let the dust settle.

Rightly so too considering what an absolute non event of an incident that it was.

Looking forward to him and Mick battling it out next year.

Would be funny if he did better than Mick considering how many people are in love with schumy’s spawn.

Your attitude is way closer to the attitude I expected most f1 fans to hold. I’m really surprised that so many F1 fans had a problem with what he did at all.

I’d say a sport with a generally older, whiter, more affluent fan base, would be less likely to have a problem with it and would be more likely to have a Clarkson-esque attitude to the effect of “it was no harm, just having a bit of fun, PC gone mad, woke nonsenses”.

Evidently, Haas felt safe to carry on with him as a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

“it was no harm, just having a bit of fun, PC gone mad, woke nonsenses”.

Both of these comments are true and ultimately the first one is why Haas are continuing with their chosen driver.

That said he’ll need to cop on about what he shares of his social life.

Now we get to see has he got what it takes on the track.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Your attitude is way closer to the attitude I expected most f1 fans to hold. I’m really surprised that so many F1 fans had a problem with what he did at all.

I’d say a sport with a generally older, whiter, more affluent fan base, would be less likely to have a problem with it and would be more likely to have a Clarkson-esque attitude to the effect of “it was no harm, just having a bit of fun, PC gone mad, woke nonsenses”.

Totally agree PC nonsense now back to the F1 talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/23/20-facts-on-2020-telling-stats-on-every-f1-drivers-season/

Some interesting little stats here.

One that surprised me was "Perez was the worst starter, losing 31 places on lap one, an average of 2.07 per race. That included his 13-place loss in Sakhir, from which he remarkably bounced back to win"

And

"Gasly’s Italian Grand Prix victory for AlphaTauri was the first win for a driver not in a Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari since Kimi Raikkonen’s Lotus won the 2013 Australian Grand Prix"
    Just for possibly interesting stats I was thinking about last night; Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso have won more races in the last 15 years than Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Just for possibly interesting stats I was thinking about last night; Alpha Tauri/Toro Rosso have won more races in the last 15 years than Williams.

Not just Williams....Sauber/Alfa,Haas, Force India/Racing Point ,Lotus/ Renault.....it's depressing ! And with the rumours of a potential tie into a streaming service F1 is becoming a niche sport.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Not just Williams....Sauber/Alfa,Haas, Force India/Racing Point ,Lotus/ Renault.....it's depressing ! And with the rumours of a potential tie into a streaming service F1 is becoming a niche sport.

Lotus/Renault won a couple with Kimi I think plus 1 with Alonso. Going to 2006 there's more for Alonso.
    I was thinking of it more as a look-how-far-they've-fallen thing since it's Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lotus/Renault won a couple with Kimi I think plus 1 with Alonso. Going to 2006 there's more for Alonso.
    I was thinking of it more as a look-how-far-they've-fallen thing since it's Williams.

Racing Point won in Sakhir aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

pjohnson wrote: »
    Racing Point won in Sakhir aswell.

That's one win - the comparison was to Toro Rosso/Alpha Tauri.

Forget the infamous Renault "win" - and people wonder how Mazepin kept his drive...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement