Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

I haven't received a PFO from them yet. More than likely will be sometime after 4/5 tomorrow (to avoid anyone complaining to them ahahaha). The joys of milkrounds.

If they want to be really strategic about it they should send it Friday afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

What are people's favourite places that they have interviewed at so far?

Just interested to see the vibes of the different firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Oh no I am now assuming I didn't get second one! When did you do your first one?

Had my first one Monday

law987 wrote: »
    Had my first one Monday

Thanks Law987. You seem to be getting loads of interviews - well done to you! :)

Would you mind if I asked whether you got a first in your degree? If you don't feel comfortable answering, that is completely fine! I'm just trying to see what I can build on in any further applications I submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Ya I got a 1st, just about! It's getting me interviews all right but after that grades don't matter at all none of them have mentioned it.

I've gotten a fair share of PFOs too

I suppose on your application try have a few things they know will be interesting to talk about at interview, literally any experience even if non law related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any word from Hayes guys? Are they a good firm to work with has anyone heard any positives?

jus_me wrote: »
    Any word from Hayes guys? Are they a good firm to work with has anyone heard any positives?

Mid-tier firm, good reputation. They've been expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

Great, I haven't got a PFO from DE at all.... so disheartening! I only applied to Fieldfisher this year but I wont get my hopes up...I'm a 2.1, 500 point L+B grad now and last year it was rejection after rejection so I held back on applying everywhere this year because I knew it would be the same. I really need to get some experience now I think!

Does anyone have words of wisdom for me? I don't want to go to a top 5 firm anyway... but running out of ideas :(

LeGal97 wrote: »
    Great, I haven't got a PFO from DE at all.... so disheartening! I only applied to Fieldfisher this year but I wont get my hopes up...I'm a 2.1, 500 point L+B grad now and last year it was rejection after rejection so I held back on applying everywhere this year because I knew it would be the same. I really need to get some experience now I think!

Does anyone have words of wisdom for me? I don't want to go to a top 5 firm anyway... but running out of ideas :(

I have heard of loads of people getting training contract interviews after doing contract work at law firms. I think its all about getting your foot in the door somewhere! Alternatively send your CV to some recruiters and say you are looking for legal work.

Fieldfisher are hiring for a legal secretary- you should go for it! Once the firm meet you and realise you are a good employee, you have a 10000% more of a chance of getting a training contract. Otherwise you are literally just a piece of paper to them.

• Advertisement

I have heard of loads of people getting training contract interviews after doing contract work at law firms. I think its all about getting your foot in the door somewhere! Alternatively send your CV to some recruiters and say you are looking for legal work.

That is a good idea!! I will do that.. after all the PFO's last year for both traineeships and internships (after doing a good internship the year before) I really do not know where I am going wrong. I'm going to email some of the small firms in my county and see does anyone need a hand soon also, anything is better than nothing at this stage!

Fieldfisher are hiring for a legal secretary- you should go for it! Once the firm meet you and realise you are a good employee, you have a 10000% more of a chance of getting a training contract. Otherwise you are literally just a piece of paper to them.

I did apply for their traineeship so I will 100% look into that. I am not from Dublin is the only thing but I could make it work. Thank you!!

• Site Banned Posts: 26 bubbagumss

January is when they take people on look at each ones website they advertise on their own website in November

I did apply for their traineeship so I will 100% look into that. I am not from Dublin is the only thing but I could make it work. Thank you!!

I think you should have someone take a look at your application. If you're getting rejection after rejection with good grades than there is something wrong with how you're filling out your application.

They will probably mostly be WFH at the moment and there are more rental places in Dublin than usual because more people have moved down the country.

They have probably received about 500 training contract applications, but they might only receive 15 or so for the legal secretary. You have much more of a chance of standing out there and inadvertently ending up with a traineeship.

If you get a legal secretary interview DM me because I have a similar role previously and can tell you what they are looking for.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I think you should have someone take a look at your application. If you're getting rejection after rejection with good grades than there is something wrong with how you're filling out your application.

I have been.. my best friend always reviews them for me/gives me pointers, he's done his fair share of them. He got AC straight off and the bat, but he got a 1.1 and excellent grades. I even went to the CV clinics in college last year for some of the firms, so I really do not know where I am going wrong.

I hope people don't become too disheartened with PFOs. For most people it's really just a battle of attrition and applying to as many as possible and hoping one sticks. The Big 5 might receive around 800 applicants for the TC and they'll take in about 30 every year. It's a very competitive process and not getting an offer doesn't mean your application is poor or that you're not good enough.

They will probably mostly be WFH at the moment and there are more rental places in Dublin than usual because more people have moved down the country.

They have probably received about 500 training contract applications, but they might only receive 15 or so for the legal secretary. You have much more of a chance of standing out there and inadvertently ending up with a traineeship.

If you get a legal secretary interview DM me because I have a similar role previously and can tell you what they are looking for.

You are so right. I have been keeping an eye on indeed.ie also, and there's a few legal secretary roles going in my vicinity that might be worth checking out and get me in better shape for next year if not.

That is so kind of you, I definitely will take you up on that, thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Just a word of caution on applying for legal sec roles for experience. Firms are usually looking for career legal secs with experience in billing, audio typing etc. It’s more of a functional admin role than the sort of ad hoc/legal support that’s provided by an intern/paralegal/legal assistant (interchangeable words in my view). A CV from an applicant who’s currently undertaking FE1s will tell them you’re looking to get to blackhall ASAP and likely to jump ship in the short to medium term.

I would never discourage applying but I would urge you again not to be discouraged if unsuccessful. Keep an eye out for any of the sort of roles mentioned above primarily!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I hope people don't become too disheartened with PFOs. For most people it's really just a battle of attrition and applying to as many as possible and hoping one sticks. The Big 5 might receive around 800 applicants for the TC and they'll take in about 30 every year. It's a very competitive process and not getting an offer doesn't mean your application is poor or that you're not good enough.

I interviewed with one of the big five last November and at the drinks reception the night before they said they received over 1,500 applications!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Just a word of caution on applying for legal sec roles for experience. Firms are usually looking for career legal secs with experience in billing, audio typing etc. It’s more of a functional admin role than the sort of ad hoc/legal support that’s provided by an intern/paralegal/legal assistant (interchangeable words in my view). A CV from an applicant who’s currently undertaking FE1s will tell them you’re looking to get to blackhall ASAP and likely to jump ship in the short to medium term.

I would never discourage applying but I would urge you again not to be discouraged if unsuccessful. Keep an eye out for any of the sort of roles mentioned above primarily!

I agree with rightytighty here about not getting discouraged if you don't get the role. I am currently a legal secretary and can say that the work is really ad hoc, between billing, drafting documents, prepping briefs it is all legal but yeah those titles mentioned are all interchangeable. The traditional secretary job is long gone and we all seem to be more paralegal roles now.

As for seeing FE1s on your CV. It really depends where you are on your studies, for example I was in my second year of a law degree when I first applied so they knew they would have me at least 3 or 4 more years. Some of the other secretaries were starting FE1s and they had them for 2 years. This is a question though that can be answered well in cover letters or interview, as in you want to get some practice experience before continuing on to Blackwall eventually. So don't be discouraged from applying.

Also apply for junior admin positions many of these are stepping stones and you will be brought up a level in about a year if you impress. If you want any tips on interviews or anything feel free to PM me. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Has anyone else interviewed with Philip Lee or has applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Just received a PFO from DE today.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

PFO today from MHC

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

A&L Belfast next round offers out

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Just got the PFO from AC.....oh well better luck next time :(

Getting kind of freaked out with the Arthur Cox group interview next week - my Internet is completely all over the place. I wish we could do it in person

Everyone seems to have a 2.1 these days. It's the bare minimum expected at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

FE1new wrote: »
    Just got the PFO from AC.....oh well better luck next time :(

Same! But there’s nothing we can do about it right now I keep telling myself. Going to review my application tips and upskill in some areas, tomorrow is another day.

• Advertisement

Same! But there’s nothing we can do about it right now I keep telling myself. Going to review my application tips and upskill in some areas, tomorrow is another day.

Can I ask what you’re thinking of upskilling in? Got AC PFO too :(

Advertisement