Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work if you did not have too? Say you won the lotto tomorrow.

• 10-09-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So would you?

I would not.

Far to many places to go and see and things to do without wasting time working if I were to win the lotto.
    If anyone asks what you do easy you just say your an investor.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I like working but I had fun being off for a few months this year because of covid so i probably wouldn't bother working again. I would travel, and spend time on hobbies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

AMKC wrote: »
    So would you?

I would not.

Far to many places to go and see and things to do without wasting time working if I were to win the lotto.
    If anyone asks what you do easy you just say your an investor.

Same here, I'd definitely never work again. I think people who say they'd stay working need to get more hobbies and an imagination. Life is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Greyfox wrote: »
    Same here, I'd definitely never work again. I think people who say they'd stay working need to get more hobbies and an imagination. Life is short.

I was chatting a guy on a train a few years ago, he was in his late 50's id say, we were chatting about working, he said he wouldn't know what to do if he retired as he had no hobbies. i felt sorry for him, i cant get my head around the fact people can have no hobbies, like surely you like something other than working?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Not for all the tea in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Id open a company in my field of expertise. Id have a trusted manager type who looked after the boring stuff.

Managing the money would be a job in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Greyfox wrote: »

Agreed.

Once got talking to guy who said winning the euromillions would be a waste because you couldn’t enjoy all that money.

I told him he lacked imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd probably take a part time job doing something random with zero stress. I definitely wouldn't work fulltime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Not a fecking hope in hell unless where I'm my own boss, can get up when i want an work when i want and travel when I want.

I'd probably buy the local pub where I grew up and as long as it broke even or close to it I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I think if you do win it you should give up your job.

Give someone else a chance to get a job you really dont need anymore.

I hate those people who carry on working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Agreed.

Once got talking to guy who said winning the euromillions would be a waste because you couldn’t enjoy all that money.

I told him he lacked imagination.
    27mill current pool, prob some poor bastard in UAE sticking twice that amount of diamonds on some lambo :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

No. If I didn't need the money I would never do another days work again. Hell I hope its the Euromilllions so I don't even need to do my own housework anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd have told my boss to shove his job up his hole within seconds of winning the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

it all depends on how much I won.

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd have told my boss to shove his job up his hole within seconds of winning the lotto

Not a good plan.

I’d keep working for at least a few months as normal so as not to arouse any suspicion about winning the lotto etc.

After enough time had elapsed I’d then indicate I was moving on and hand in my notice.

I’d then go full time farming, buy a heap more land and the best of machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

Would enjoy work more if it wasn’t about the money. I just wouldn’t tell anyone. Would think about investing and retiring early too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Any "work" would involve managing and monitoring my portfolio and drip feeding enormous amounts of money into various companies. That would account for 1% of my time with the rest travelling/golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd pack it in if I won the lotto, been doing grunt work for the past 26 years and beginning to feel it now.

Have a lot of respect for tradesmen who work into their 60s, its not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I would in my... I'd write a book though. Go to college. Need a focus (besides the money :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Not a good plan.

I’d keep working for at least a few months as normal so as not to arouse any suspicion about winning the lotto etc.

After enough time had elapsed I’d then indicate I was moving on and hand in my notice.

I’d then go full time farming, buy a heap more land and the best of machinery.

So you would continue working in one of the most dangerous industries there is. You most really love it.
    I'd pack it in if I won the lotto, been doing grunt work for the past 26 years and beginning to feel it now.

Have a lot of respect for tradesmen who work into their 60s, its not easy.

What's grunt work lol?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

AMKC wrote: »
    So you would continue working in one of the most dangerous industries there is. You most really love it.

What's grunt work lol?

Uhh , hmmph, urgh, harder, lob it into me boss etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,797 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I'd work but it would be managing my winnings by buying a shopping centre or apartment blocks to earn from that.

Sitting on your hole doing nothing businesswise with millions in your productive years is not a good place mentally to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not a chance.

I'd keep busy doing things that I was interested in and enjoyed, but I'd never be turning up for a salary ever again.

I could not understand people who were complaining of boredom while they were off for months earlier in the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't work, but would do a couple of volunteer things. Meals on Wheels maybe, or driving people to medical appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'd have my own business and invest in property. I couldn't do nothing. I would like to travel and that but you would need something to occupy yourself. Have people working for you and then retire maybe at 60 and keep the business running also but have someone looking after most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d spend my time enjoying the best of life, a couple of well furnished, luxurious properties, here, south of France , pool, tennis courts games rooms, sauna, jaccuzi, couple of nice cars...

I’d invest some money with the motivation in earning it that I’d make it do 100% good for others.

Say pick x number of charities say 7 , give a base donation of say 50,000 annually, that could be upped if investments are earning...

No work. Not a hope. I’m by virtue of my personality easily bored but no, I’m not working... apart from at enjoying life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Most people that win the lottery are broke. Divorced or dead after 5 years. Just stay poor and happy
    https://www.syracuse.com/lottery/2016/01/powerball_jackpot_curse_winner_horror_stories.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Secret is, if you win 50 million, let on you won 20 say.... can still look after everybody , give them a nice share , firstly as a lump... then a yearly gift for a while, say you earned a good bit on investments... just sharing the wealth.

having it known that you are sitting on a massive stockpile of cash WILL mean you’ll be inundated with begging letters, calls , and so on, probably enough to inhibit your day to day ability to enjoy life...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Aside from doing my own projects that I'd be interested in, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I pretty much have two jobs so I'd cut back on the amount of work I do - just stick to basic computer repair (rather than installations/onsite/networks) cos I enjoy it. Other job would be harder to give up....carer for my father. Unless I stick him in a home or get a beautiful live-in nurse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Most people that win the lottery are broke. Divorced or dead after 5 years. Just stay poor and happy
    https://www.syracuse.com/lottery/2016/01/powerball_jackpot_curse_winner_horror_stories.html

I'd still like to find out the hard way about that fall from grace.

Advertisement