Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uncut Gems - upcoming Safdie Bros film with Adam Sandler (!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Iirc correctly, they need for the movie to have a cinema run for it to be eligible for Oscar contention (and other awards). Previously, cinemas were quite against Netflix's flimsy initial plans to distribute their Oscar contenders for a week or so before putting them on their platform. That makes sense - the shorter the cinema window, the less likely people would to pay attend a screening. So both sides seemed to have settled on a longer theatrical period.

Important to remember this isn’t actually a Netflix production - they just picked up the distribution rights to it for the UK / Ireland. Their release strategy here could be somewhat dictated by A24’s in the US.

For the most part though the release does follow their recent (and welcome) pattern of a three week theatrical run ahead of the streaming release. That said, both Marriage Story and The Irishman ran for a whole lot longer post-streaming release, so they’re obviously much more liberal than they were and more cinemas are happy to accept the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Wow. It's the film equivalent of standing outside chain smoking, waiting for someone to come round and kick your head in for not having the money you owe them. You can smell the stale sweat, the bad cologne and of course the piles of dirty, stinking money.

It's fùcking phenomenal. It will give you actual anxiety. At certain points the screen is swarming with characters talking and shouting over each other. Someone is yelling into a phone in the background on loudspeaker, with the other two phone lines on hold, lining up to add to the chorus of insults and fùck you's. Out in the hallway someone else is buzzing at the door and yelling to be let in. Claustrophobic and overwhelming, there are a few dark laughs, but it's relentless for the most part. A+ for making you feel something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wayward and very specific thought on both this and Good Time, so spoilers for both.
    There’s something grimly string about the way the Safdies handle the deaths of key characters. It’s Ray falling from the window in GT, and Howard being brutally wiped out here. They’re both filmed in very different ways (one from far away, one right up close) but they had the same gut-level impact for me. It’s the brutal, immediate shock of it I think - something you lose when the film dwells on it too long or makes a big holy show about it. Here, Howard dies in this vivid explosion of euphoria, tension and chaos, and that so much other stuff is being thrown at the screen simultaneously that you’re sort of overwhelmed by the immediacy of it all.

Think the only other current director whose films handle death in a way that properly rocks me is Ari Aster - again, a certain bleak casualness to the way he dispatches characters that’s as striking as it is shocking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This dropped today on Netflix; at Johnny U's suggestion on the Netflix Recommends thread, I'm going to try and watch this in one sitting to maintain the pulse of the thing.

Will be interesting to see if opinions diverge, now that the environment to watch it in has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Watched it tonight on Netflix excellent flik. Shame it got unnoticed by Oscars but their loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Fantastic such an uncomfortable watch but wow brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd been hyping this movie up to myself for months, finally just watched it and it exceeded my expectations. The Safdies have me in the palm of their hands, between this and Good Time I will watch absolutely anything they make from here on. The sheer anxiety they can induce through their movies is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Absolutely marvellous stuff. One of the best I've ever seen. Nice and intense, with a great satirical dig of the classless pursuit of money and shiny thing$ that makes demented goons out of everyone addicted to the pursuit. The district feels like a Character itself doing it's best to curse everyone in it. Editing and photography is just top class. Great soundtrack too. Just Great. A proper film of our times. These lads are just gifted. 10/10

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Great to see people loving this.

If you think this is great, make sure you see The Lighthouse. It's EVEN better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This was brilliant , it actually makes you stressed out watching it,
    You'd want to be in a good mood going into it or it might annoy you but at the same time that makes it brilliant as that is what the movies sets out to do ,

Its make you feel uncomfortable and feel his stress,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

El Duda wrote: »
    If you think this is great, make sure you see The Lighthouse. It's EVEN better.

If you think the Lighthouse is great, then you actually need to see Parasite. It's even better again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

This was brilliant , it actually makes you stressed out watching it,

The soundtrack was very unsettling and kept me on edge for most of the film.

Effects wrote: »
    If you think the Lighthouse is great, then you actually need to see Parasite. It's even better again.

And Portrait of a Lady on Fire is just as good as Parasite :pac:

2019 was, in short, a hell of a year for film - and there’s a glut of seriously great films getting a belated release here over the next few weeks.

Effects wrote: »

Parasite is out on Friday and it is the last film on my 'must see' list from this awards season.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire and The Farewell have also peaked my interest but it was;

The Lighthouse
    Little Women
    Uncut Gems

The Lighthouse

That had be hyped. After these are out of the way, it's...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Watched this yesterday while hungover and I only realised after about 1 hour in that the film was intentionally set up to put you in AS's shoes and melt your head.

At first I taught it was my hangover but it definitely done the trick. Great performance by Adam Sandler.

I also enjoyed Good Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

On foot of advise here, We watched it on friday night, phones left in the kitchen so as not to break the tension.

Jaysus, it was hard going, not really any like-able characters and the constant noise / sensory overload was hard to take when trying to relax after a hard week at work.

Its a film I'd recommend, but couldn't say I actively enjoyed, purely from the discomfort it creates.

Was about to re-watch this on Friday with the Mrs. Just before we were about to watch it, she gets a phonecall to let her know a colleague has died.

Sat down to watch it last night and the dog started puking up.

God knows what'll happen if we try and watch it tonight.

El Duda wrote: »
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire and The Farewell have also peaked my interest but it was;

TBH both films were comfortably among my favourites of last year, and while I really liked The Lighthouse I’d comfortably rank both of them above it (for reference: Portrait and The Farewell are on the same tier as Parasite / Uncut Gems / Little Women, and far far above 1917). Would not for a second consider skipping them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The bottled, cinematic equivalent - and as guaranteed to agitate - as being at an airlines customer desk for a cancelled flight. At Christmas. In a blackout. And the airport's on fire. That sounds like a criticism, but in truth it's the opposite: the film barely let up, screaming along at a pace both stressful and yet, despite the histrionic tone, quite absorbing. I couldn't look away, even as my blood pressure went up. It was also tactile in a fashion I hadn't seen in an age; it felt grubby and raw, every sense overpowered by the noise, sights and even the smells in your head. The cast of (what I suspect were) game amateurs lent the story an authentic, lived-in feel. Maybe some truly were genuine jewelry district workers.

Adam Sandler channeled Pacino to the point that at times he even sounded eerily alike the elder method actor. And as with all his best performances, Sandler's was living on a hair's edge of self destruction, a man spiralling out of control, even while trying to spin even more plates.

How on earth do you even shoot a film like this, everyone shouting over each other constantly? How did the directors judge their work "stressful enough"?

There's one scene in the bail bonds office in Good Time where there are like 3 conversations going on at once all talking over each other, and I feel like that scene was essentially just a proof of concept for this entire movie.

• Advertisement

I keep just thinking back to tiny little details in this movie, like
    at the end of the movie when KG is on TV doing his post-game interview he says a line like "when I'm out there it's just me and the rock" and in basketball slang the "rock" is the ball, but in the context of the movie it's obviously the opal. It's just such a clever little repurposing of already existing footage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I really didn’t expect the ending. Adam Sandler is a brilliant actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Watched it last night - loved every minute of it and the soundtrack as jazzy as it was really contributed to it. Amazing film making. Imagine a movie with a story in 2020 who'd have thunk it. Adam Sandler is shockingly good too - he actually has serious talent when channeled properly his last stand up special on Netflix was really good too - but some of his comedy movies are absolute dog dirt. This is definitely his finest movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Thought it was an ok movie but the music annoyingly bad in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

While I appreciate how good and incredibly intense this movie is I would not recommend it if you're not willing to immerse yourself fully in it.
    I watched it when I wasn't feeling particularly well and couldn't cope with ALL the shouting. It is constant and feels like you're watching an episode of eastenders on steroids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Thought it was an ok movie but the music annoyingly bad in it.

It annoyed me at the start as I thought it was kinda overpowering - but then I settled right into it(I wasn't expecting to). I think it's because it distracts a bit from the main character and provides some relief from the onslaught of events.
    I think it works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

I'm a big fan of Oneohtrix Point Never anyways myself, so I really did enjoy the music score and I thought it worked brilliantly in parts. Same for the one he did for 'Good Time', both are a kind of updated hyper colour version of some of the classic Vangelis film scores which I also love. Lovely colourful synth lushness which makes a refreshing change from a lot of the loud doomfull synth scores you hear now on a lot of other films. Y'know, the ones that just go "BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" over and over and over to different scales of the exact same sound.
    Love the way a few modern day pop tracks get thrown into the mix along with all of the works Lopatin scores himself too. Wouldn't exactly like those sort of pop tunes but I enjoy the way the Safdies throw them into the mix alongside the scores done by Lopatin. If any of you liked the score you should check out his albums "Rifts" "Replica" "R plus Seven" & "Garden of Delete" too. Really good.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Don't see the hype with this one.
    Thought Sandler was ok. Found it irritating all the constant shouting and noise. I get that this was their intention but it does not make for a good movie experience or something I would want to see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Shane St. wrote: »
    Don't see the hype with this one.
    Thought Sandler was ok. Found it irritating all the constant shouting and noise. I get that this was their intention but it does not make for a good movie experience or something I would want to see again.

Agreed. Sandler was decent but right away the shouting, talking over each other etc was ridiculous. The trippy music was out of place too in some parts.

It got a bit better towards the end as it got more tense and less shouty but it felt like it could have been much better.

Was debating whether to see it in cinema for weeks, glad I didn't. Surprised as it's gotten so much praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

turbbo wrote: »
    Watched it last night - loved every minute of it and the soundtrack as jazzy as it was really contributed to it. Amazing film making. Imagine a movie with a story in 2020 who'd have thunk it. Adam Sandler is shockingly good too - he actually has serious talent when channeled properly his last stand up special on Netflix was really good too - but some of his comedy movies are absolute dog dirt. This is definitely his finest movie.

Those terrible Adam Sandler movies are amongst the highest grossing, so you can see why he does them.

I wasn't going to watch this because it was Adam Sandler but it was so good. Only scene I didn't like was how he was explaining how he got his high with the basketball player, don't think I bought KG's acting.

Advertisement