Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Aer club pushed to July.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Avios appointed an Irish marketing manager a few months back

Any word on an Irish credit card or other ways to earn additional Avios yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Word is Super Valu will issue Avios as part of the Aer Club program

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Super Valu are launching a new Real Rewards program in the summer. I believe there will be a partnership with EI involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Rock of Gibraltar

I wonder if Tesco will follow suit, they do this in the UK; 1 £2.50 Tesco clubcard voucher can be converted to 600 avios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

How can I sign up to Aer lingus loyalty club??

I am already a member of BA and Etihad but cannot seem to sign up online?
    It seems they are between clubs at the moment but how can I be sure my travel will be counted when the new club opens up ?

Anyone have any information ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

carq wrote: »
    How can I sign up to Aer lingus loyalty club??

You'll have to wait until AerClub is launched in July,

Gold Circle applications were no longer accepted once AerClub was announced, so in the window of announcement of the new program to the actual roll out, there is a hold on new applicants joining.
    It seems they are between clubs at the moment but how can I be sure my travel will be counted when the new club opens up ?

unless you were a GC applicant before they stopped accepting applications, you won't gain any credit from Aer Lingus for flights taken, your best bet would be to get the Avios on your BA account.

You'll have to wait until AerClub is launched in July,

Gold Circle applications were no longer accepted once AerClub was announced, so in the window of announcement of the new program to the actual roll out, there is a hold on new applicants joining.

unless you were a GC applicant before they stopped accepting applications, you won't gain any credit from Aer Lingus for flights taken, your best bet would be to get the Avios on your BA account.

Aer lingus no longer seem to be a partner to BA.
    Not appearing on the list of partner airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Still showing here: https://www.aerlingus.com/plan-and-book/plan/our-airline-partners/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Given that they are both part of the same group (IAG), and multiple Aer Lingus flights have BA code share flight numbers I think you'll find that isn't the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Super valu partnership confirmed in IAG quarterly presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Super valu partnership confirmed in IAG quarterly presentation.

Any credit card providers mentioned?

pclive wrote:
    Any credit card providers mentioned?

No and there will not be. Basically as I undserstand it, Revenue in Ireland views the issuance of airline points from a credit card as a form of currency and therefore should be taxable. Nonsense really and explains the non existance of reward credit cards in Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I never realised that. Fibally make sense of why we have never had an airline credit card program here. I know that Aer Lingus have a program for US based frequent flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    No and there will not be. Basically as I undserstand it, Revenue in Ireland views the issuance of airline points from a credit card as a form of currency and therefore should be taxable. Nonsense really and explains the non existance of reward credit cards in Ireland.

Do you have anything in writing on that? I would find it unusual, there are rewards cards such as AIB Platinum which include cash back; equally Tesco clubcard points are identical. There should not be any basis on which to tax the reward - it is neither income from an asset, investment nor an employment but essentially a manner of a non cash discount
    Tenger wrote: »
    I never realised that. Fibally make sense of why we have never had an airline credit card program here. I know that Aer Lingus have a program for US based frequent flyers.

Is there still a US card? There had been a BArclays US one but I know from family that it was cancelled 18 months or so ago.

Marcusm wrote:
    Do you have anything in writing on that? I would find it unusual, there are rewards cards such as AIB Platinum which include cash back; equally Tesco clubcard points are identical. There should not be any basis on which to tax the reward - it is neither income from an asset, investment nor an employment but essentially a manner of a non cash discount

Ill have a look alright. In regards to the cash back reward cards at present, thats just an internal cost AIB or whomever absorb. I know there shoukd be no basis at all but sure theres no basis for changing VRT but revenue still do it!

I'd say Avios themselves will be trying to team up with a card issuer like they do in the UK, they'll have to have talks with Revenue of course though so not sure when we will see this happen if ever.

Ill have a look alright. In regards to the cash back reward cards at present, thats just an internal cost AIB or whomever absorb. I know there shoukd be no basis at all but sure theres no basis for changing VRT but revenue still do it!

I'd say Avios themselves will be trying to team up with a card issuer like they do in the UK, they'll have to have talks with Revenue of course though so not sure when we will see this happen if ever.

I'm not sure if that is supposed to be flippant but VRT was legislated for in 1992 and drafted with the intention of being coherent with European single market principles. That's an entirely different proposition from something on which the tax code is silent and which does not, in the ordinary scheme of things, constitute income.

Marcusm wrote: »
    There should not be any basis on which to tax the reward - it is neither income from an asset, investment nor an employment but essentially a manner of a non cash discount

Unfortunately it is viewed as a form of currency which in theory it is. Revenue view this as a way of increasing your personal income, but like you highlighted it works in much the same way as Tesco clubcard or chargebacks. I can't find any legislation to make a distinction between the two unfortunately.

Not sure what HMRC do in the UK in relation to Nectar/Avios pts etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unfortunately it is viewed as a form of currency which in theory it is. Revenue view this as a way of increasing your personal income, but like you highlighted it works in much the same way as Tesco clubcard or chargebacks. I can't find any legislation to make a distinction between the two unfortunately.

Slightly related, from an income tax perspective there is a section in the BIK documentation online that exempts reward schemes as a result of business travel from being taxed.

It's certainly not a form of currency - in most of the participating countries, only governments can create currency or delegate the authority to do so. Likewise, it's mere existence does not make it taxable income, it must fall under a category (schedule or case) and derive from a taxable source (office or employment, possession or asset). There is no meaningful distinction between Avios and Clubcrd points, they are all electronic green shield stamps and in the nature of a non cash discount available to customers generally.
    faceman wrote: »
    Slightly related, from an income tax perspective there is a section in the BIK documentation online that exempts reward schemes as a result of business travel from being taxed.

That does esn't exempt them per se but is a statement that the Revenue will not assess them as a taxable benefit. The reason is quite simple, as with employer provided parking, civil servants are permitted to retain the points. To assess them for BIK would be to tax them in the hands of civil servants which would be unacceptable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are rewards cards (Tesco, AIB) and were more in the past - Ulster, BOI, Amex Blue, Pigsback etc. They died due to banks wanting more money and reducing retailer rates for cards, not Revenue.

As there's no work involved I imagine it would come under the CAT thresholds rather than income tax; which would be rather implausible to reach.

Marcusm wrote:
    It's certainly not a form of currency - in most of the participating countries, only governments can create currency or delegate the authority to do so. Likewise, it's mere existence does not make it taxable income, it must fall under a category (schedule or case) and derive from a taxable source (office or employment, possession or asset).

Is Bitcoin not a currency then?

Is Bitcoin not a currency then?

Different views exist as to whether Bitcoin is a currency, an electronic commodity or simply a tokenistic approach to a payment system. Irrespective, gold circle points, Avios etc are not accepted by 100,000 or more vendors and are not even freely transferable between members of their respective systems so irrespective of whether Bitcoin might be a currency, Avios and GC points have few similar characteristics.

Marcusm wrote:
    Different views exist as to whether Bitcoin is a currency, an electronic commodity or simply a tokenistic approach to a payment system. Irrespective, gold circle points, Avios etc are not accepted by 100,000 or more vendors and are not even freely transferable between members of their respective systems so irrespective of whether Bitcoin might be a currency, Avios and GC points have few similar characteristics.

No different views don't exist. Bitcoin works without a central repository or single administrator/ government and the U.S. Treasury categorizes it as a decentralized virtual currency so yes it is a currency and used worldwide by more than 200,000 vendors.

Again Avios in theory "could" be accepted by thousands of vendors worldwide and it is easily transferred between members albeit at a cost.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given that they are both part of the same group (IAG), and multiple Aer Lingus flights have BA code share flight numbers I think you'll find that isn't the case.

Well when i log into BA to claim missing partner miles, AER lingus is not on the drop down list for partner airlines.

AirBerlin
    American Airways
    BA
    Cathay Pacific
    Dragon Air
    Finn air
    Iberia
    LANCHILE
    Malaysia Arilines
    Meridiana
    NIKI
    Quantas
    Quatar
    S7
    Sri Lankan
    TAM

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Well when i log into BA to claim missing partner miles, AER lingus is not on the drop down list for partner airlines.

AirBerlin
    American Airways
    BA
    Cathay Pacific
    Dragon Air
    Finn air
    Iberia
    LANCHILE
    Malaysia Arilines
    Meridiana
    NIKI
    Quantas
    Quatar
    S7
    Sri Lankan
    TAM

Those are the one world alliance members. Aerlingus isn't in the the one world alliance, it's listed under 'other airline partners' with Alaska airlines and Meridiana. You can't claim tier points for Aerlingus flights but you can claim Avios, just not as many as for the same flight with an OWA member. http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/flights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Anybody have any idea when Aer Lingus send out their monthly Gold Circle Statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Anybody have any idea when Aer Lingus send out their monthly Gold Circle Statement?
    Due in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

steve-o wrote: »
    Due in the next day or two.

just out of curiosity would you mind letting know when it arrives, as I recently entered GC, and from experiencing their delays with crediting flights, I want to keep an eye out that they have me set up correctly

I'm a bit suspicious that they mightn't have, as when I go to their old site:

http://classic.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/bookonline/myAerlingus.do

it shows the correct, almost up to date points, but still as applicant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Couldn't find the link for that recently. No idea how I apparently have 1000 points currently, at the rate of my future bookings (another 500 points worth in the next two weeks) and how delayed AerClub is I might actually get status again before the changeover! :pac:

Advertisement