Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Beast of Ballyhoura - Ireland's longest AR

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You put a certain inevitable spell on it alright ha ha you are not the only tough Kate in the world ya know :p

I hope you find a good one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What?? :eek::confused::eek::confused: Oryx, are you mad to pass this opportunity up?? This is right up your ally, if you must know. Honest to god, if I lived anywhere near Ireland I'd be all over this and not blink twice.

<looks next to Solobally 8....>

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What?? :eek::confused::eek::confused: Oryx, are you mad to pass this opportunity up?? This is right up your ally, if you must know. Honest to god, if I lived anywhere near Ireland I'd be all over this and not blink twice.

Its two weeks after IMUK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Dory Dory wrote: »

Well I was asked but since I was 4th choice I decided to say no :D

(Actually I was flattered to be asked but I have a wedding that weekend)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Well I was asked but since I was 4th choice I decided to say no :D

(Actually I was flattered to be asked but I have a wedding that weekend)

At least you were asked :(

I wouldn't, but, that is not the point. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Mike, no matter what you do you can't please them all :rolleyes:

AKW wrote: »
    Mike, no matter what you do you can't please them all :rolleyes:

I mean, even YOU made the team...I feel so dejected to be deemed not even good enough for a team YOU made :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I mean, even YOU made the team...I feel so dejected to be deemed not even good enough for a team YOU made :P
    He put his hand up for the challenge! Did you? As did 2 other lads but one had to drop out. When iron hoochie became unavailable I went searching. I had a friend and multiple marathon winner with bike skills practically signed up but she had to drop out reluctantly too. I currently have another tough future hoochie who stepped forward practically signed up and good to go but I'm waiting on a decision from an earlier draft choice first. Either way the female element of this boards team will keep the boys in check when the going gets tough I'm sure of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

There's biking involved, why are you surprised??

BTH wrote: »
    There's biking involved, why are you surprised??

I'm a great cyclist. :)

• Advertisement

I'm a great cyclist. :)

You're better than me.

But very few are worse. :)

Oryx wrote: »
    You're better than me.

But very few are worse. :)

I just realised there's MTB involved, I win the 'Worst Cyclist' Category for that ;)

So we have a Boards team entered into this year's Beast of Ballyhoura :D

Team Tri Harder
    shotgunmcos
    AKW
    nerraw111
    career_move

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Causeway

So we have a Boards team entered into this year's Beast of Ballyhoura :D

Team Tri Harder
    shotgunmcos
    AKW
    nerraw111
    career_move

Folks, thanks for getting a team together, don't be afraid to ask for any advice, either on here or if if you prefer you can contact me through the website. On here might be better and you'll get more replies from other boards members who have taken part in many other events.

Sothgunmcos no ankle socks this year ;)

Heading for a spin in the Ballyhoura trails this weekend if anyone knocking around.

The mind rather than the body :)

Read over the route instructions for the last 2 years today :eek: In 2012 we just left all the thinking to Enduro. It took me 2 hours today just to plot the 2012 control points on the maps and go over the route we took :o. Just that exercise was interesting as I combined Enduros route decisions with how the team were feeling at key stages. I underestimated how much he carried us through with his experience in the last 12 hours. Going back over the report 24 hours into the race it took us 3 hours to cover a simple 25km bike on the road in the dark :eek:

Some of the CPs look so handy on the map but in reality they were mostly anything but handy.

There is so so much to this race and it would be coinsidered a short one by AR standards! Last time I was blissfully unaware :cool:

Hopefully there is some shooting stuff this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I wasn't doing much carrying :) Experience is the best teacher alright, and it played a big role in my decision making. You'll have learned tons from that race, and from looking back and analysing it now.

But attitude counts for more, and that's what got us around that course so well. Even at our lowest we were still all racing and doing our best to collectively make it to the finish with the best result we were capable of (which we most certainly did!).

Places to track the boards team this summer
    SleepMonsters
    The Beast on FB
    Beast website
    A series of pics from last years race which Enduro & Co won

Only 8 of 21 teams completed the full course last year :eek:

One of my 2012 teammates is looking for a team if there is another scratch boards team or otherwise out there :)

:confused: If you were given maps and as master map with CPs premarked for you to copy to your maps, why not just be given a marked map(s)?

Hey Ivan any chance I could get a copy of the grid coordinates of the TAs and CPs from last year, I'd love to see the route taken for the first ARES here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

:confused: If you were given maps and as master map with CPs premarked for you to copy to your maps, why not just be given a marked map(s)?

Think of it from the organisers POV... they have enough to keep themselves busy as it is :) In international races if you get maps which have the CPs on them they would more than likely be pre-printed rather than pre-marked. I don't think the Beast's budget would stretch to a custom run of OS maps (Personally I'd prefer to mark the CPs myself rather than trust a volunteer to get all the CPs on my maps right if they were being hand-marked).

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Along with Enduro said, it's also another element to the test, most orienteering events are run the same way, though at least with the Beast, you're not on the race clock while marking up maps. But how quickly you can mark up maps and decide on route choices, and how you plan and pack food and gear for the various stages determines how much rest/sleep you get prior to starting the race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye, used do a lot of orienteering when younger, you always had to copy down the maps yourself. i imagine for the beast though the checkpoints are large enough, so you'll spot them. for orienteering, finding the flag was as much down to the accuracy of those who marled up the original maps as it was your accuracy in taking them down

The plan for 2014 event will be for us to have 1 or 2 sets of master maps which will be marked up by me, it's then over to you to copy them over to your set of maps.

Think the main reasons for me not marking them all up are covered above, think how long it would take me to mark up 25 sets of maps, plus some teams like to mark up the maps themselves, maybe adding other bits of info as they go.

Anyone up for Ballyhoura spin this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Anyone up for Ballyhoura spin this weekend?
    Yip - Saturday after 6pm or Sunday afternoon :)

Update on Facebook:

Maps for this weeks Beast planning session, cut, ironed, taped together and laminated. (yes i did say ironed! New OSI maps come folded which can get a bit fiddlely to laminate on your own) Anyway total area at the moment is 50km x 90km or 90km x 50km depending on which way you look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

mossym wrote: »
    aye, used do a lot of orienteering when younger, you always had to copy down the maps yourself. i imagine for the beast though the checkpoints are large enough, so you'll spot them. for orienteering, finding the flag was as much down to the accuracy of those who marled up the original maps as it was your accuracy in taking them down
    while you may imagine they are large, you would be wrong. they are often hidden in rocks, marked by approx 6 inches of red/white hazard tape or under a waterfall. in fairness they are accurate to the coordinates on the map but this gets pretty difficult after 24 hours!

Ivan, sir, you are a masochist!

Ivan, sir, you are a masochist!

;)

In fairness if the control is on an OSI map we try to use something which is marked on the map but you may also have to use the route book which will give you more detail (so the control may be on a small tree) On the map the control will be marked as a forest track junction, which should be big enough to find, in the route book it will be Track Junction/On Small Tree 5m NW, get your team working well together and it all becomes easier, nav to the track junction, have another team mate reading the route book, he/she tells you it's on a small tree 5 meters North West of the Track Junction and it should be on said small tree, now you might be in a forest but all the other trees will be big so that should help as well as does the little bit of red and white tape.

Controls on orienteering maps may be slightly more tricky to get but then you have more detail on the map ;)

BTW we're now down to the last few places, 10 spots left but at least 6 of them I can almost account for as being taken.

• Advertisement

http://vimeo.com/92941214
    12 weeks to go...

Update on Team Tri harder

Our honorary hoochie career_move had an off road win at the weekend!

Nerraw111 is back from injury and running again, woop!

AKW is logging some bike kms

I snap into a 10 week block of beastly training after a dip in a lake in london

Advertisement