Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stallions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Fair enough.

But with Montjeu,what you mostly get is a mile and a half tough 3 year old colt.

With Galileo you can get precocious two year olds who train on extremely well,and can produce champion older horses anywhere from a mile upward.

Colts and fillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭JimDeChamp

Montjeu gives good 2yr olds over a mile and 3yr olds and up from a mile and 2 all the way up to 2 and a half mile... Theirs 90 Galileo 2yr olds in Ballydoyle and 10 montjeu 2yr olds and the best two out of the 100 are by montjeu...!

Put it this way: If it turns out that your foal is a filly,you'd be disappointed if it's by Montjeu(odds are)

Where are you getting these numbers from?

Who are the two best? Camelot being one I take it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

JimDeChamp wrote: »
    Montjeu gives good 2yr olds over a mile and 3yr olds and up from a mile and 2 all the way up to 2 and a half mile... Theirs 90 Galileo 2yr olds in Ballydoyle and 10 montjeu 2yr olds and the best two out of the 100 are by montjeu...!
    Maybe you're forgetting the best 2yo fillly at Ballydoyle.

• Advertisement

Some people would be disappointed but I wouldn't, two of montjeu's g1 individual winners this year were filly's...

Camelot and Wading

As for wading people didn't even see all of her this year, she wasn't fully fit on any of her runs plus she had a couple of other slight problems....

Some people would be disappointed but I wouldn't, two of montjeu's g1 individual winners this year were filly's...

Camelot and Wading

As for wading people didn't even see all of her this year, she wasn't fully fit on any of her runs plus she had a couple of other slight problems....

Both came at Woodbine the other night.

Sarah Lynx had previously won a group 2 in France,was exposed and had best result apart from that was 5 lengths beaten in the Vermeille.

Miss Keller was the other winner,last seen in Ireland when beaten into 4th in a listed race off a mark of 100.

Galileo had Together,Misty for Me,the South African filly and Galikova as group 1 winners this year-the same number that Montjeu has had since he became a stallion,and Montjeu is yet to have a group 1 winning filly in a European race.

Camelot is a nice colt no doubt,but I don't believe Wading's success is down to her sire.

Look at the breeding on her dam's side. Her dam is by Urban Sea. Three of Urban Sea's sons are group 1 winners and the three of them stand at stud.
    Dam is also a half sister to a grade 1 winning filly in America and half sister to the dam of Wonder of Wonders. There isn't a better bred family in racing.
    Also very closely related to Born to Sea,who is Invincible Spirit x Urban Sea,Wading's dam is Green Desert x Urban Sea (Green Desert being the sire of Invincible Spirit)

But saying Camelot and Wading are the two best in the yard is extremely debatable.

Maybe and Power have shown a lot already and have both got a group 1 to their name,as well as consistent runs. Not to mention some unexposed horses,such as Was who looked a class act on debut.
    I also really like Astrology for next year when he steps up in distance

Trust me thier the two best in Ballydoyle...! Maybe and power in my opinion have to many miles on the clock, astrology will make a savage jumper, he's a giant...! Right wadings pedigree is extremely good and to be honest urban sea could of went to a shetland pony stallion and prob would of still produced a champion... Any body know what happens to the urban sea mare that Coolmore sold to France...?

When was this mare foaled?

Her name is melikah she was by lammtarra...

• Advertisement

If So You Think puts in a good performance in the Breeders Cup Classic, will it be off to stud in the US for him instead of racing on for another year and standing in Tipperary. Do US based Stallions shuttle to Australia ?

Indeed they do Tryfix

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Indeed they do Tryfix
    Then I think that would be the plan if he can put up a serious performance in the Classic. His size and his wind operation would be much easier to sell in the US where they are not so fussy about such things. He's a bit of a monster and the Americans would appreciate his consistency, whereas he gets knocked over here for not being Pegasus.

Would I be correct in saying he'd be the first son of High Chaparral at stud

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying he'd be the first son of High Chaparral at stud
    Tried to search for his sons at stud there's no sign of any. He's quite the Legend in Aus, so it's surprising they haven't sent any to stud yet. They're hardy horses, he seems to have a lot of older horse who keep improving with age.

I remember I think last season reading that he had the 1 2 3 in the Ozzie Derby. Stud fee went to 99,000 dollars over there,think he stands at 25k here

If you had a mare to send to High Chaparral or So You Think, which would you pick? I'd take High Chaparral over So You Think any day, he's serious value compared to what they'd charge for the unproven So You think if he wins the Classic. He was a better racehorse as well.

I'd be the same. I don't know if I'd send one to High Chaparal,it would depend on the mare.

Just having a look here. One I'd definitely send a nice mare to would be Alfred Nobel at 5k.

Didn't realise he was so close to New Approach

Well not so close but there's some great lineage in him

• Advertisement

Close enough, a nice son of Danehill Dancer he should do fine , he'd be a great draw at a smaller stud. I'm a bit of a fan of Big Bad Bob, I would love to see what he could do with some high quality mares.

So am I. What a season he has had

I quite like Amadeus Wolf as a stallion too. Irish National stud isn't have bad,much better than the joke of an English one

The chances of him being retired to stand in America are slim and none, they already have 2 to new stallions for next year in Ashford plus theirs 2 also for Ireland and other horses take preference to stand in tipp over him... Also that's the first time I've heard of so you think having a wind op...!

Also Alfred is overpriced at 5k he's not a looker...!

The chances of him being retired to stand in America are slim and none, they already have 2 to new stallions for next year in Ashford plus theirs 2 also for Ireland and other horses take preference to stand in tipp over him... Also that's the first time I've heard of so you think having a wind op...!
    Giants Causeway finished second in the Breeders Cup Classic, stands in the US.

Henry The Navigator finished second in the Breeders Cup Classic, stands in the US.

If So You Think finishes second or wins the Breeders Cup Classic, why wouldn't they stand him in the US ?

So You Think had some kind of wind-operation and his detractors have been saying it would count against him as a stallion prospect.

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/what-operation-did-so-you-think-have_topic32703.html

First off both the giant and Henry were by American sires, so it was always on the cards that they would be American sires...!
    Secondly Ashford already have, uncle mo and cape blanco to stand next year so the chances of 3 new stallions standing in Ashford are slim and none...
    Third thing is so you think hasn't got the American pedigree that Henry or the giant have, so its extremely hard to market him to the american market and with high chap going down the national hunt stallion road personally I can see so you think going the same way.. Plus he has that ungenuine look about him in his races too...!

Edit:Wrong thread

First off both the giant and Henry were by American sires, so it was always on the cards that they would be American sires...!
    Secondly Ashford already have, uncle mo and cape blanco to stand next year so the chances of 3 new stallions standing in Ashford are slim and none...
    Third thing is so you think hasn't got the American pedigree that Henry or the giant have, so its extremely hard to market him to the american market and with high chap going down the national hunt stallion road personally I can see so you think going the same way.. Plus he has that ungenuine look about him in his races too...!

I wouldn't necessarily think High Chap is going down the NH route. If he started covering NH mares here he'd totally depreciate in Oz,not gonna let that happen for a 100k stallion. He wouldn't be covering any NH mares either at 25 grand

• Advertisement

Also Alfred is overpriced at 5k he's not a looker...!

Overpriced at 5k?

How many worse looking stallions are there with a worse pedigree that are standing for more at Darley or anywhere?
    He's from a lovely line at 5k he'll get some nice 2 year olds

Advertisement