Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I decided to sear my leg of lamb for today's dinner on the Koda 16. I heated it for 15 mins on full whack with the cast iron pan in it.

I coated the lamb in olive oil and seasoned it. I seared it for about 7 mins in total turning it a few times. It's in the oven now slow cooking for 5 hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Finally tried the toonsbridge pizza mozz and it was mighty.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pipmae wrote: »
    I decided to sear my leg of lamb for today's dinner on the Koda 16. I heated it for 15 mins on full whack with the cast iron pan in it.

I coated the lamb in olive oil and seasoned it. I seared it for about 7 mins in total turning it a few times. It's in the oven now slow cooking for 5 hours.

I did something similar - we got a boneless lamb shoulder, cut it into chunks and seared on the grizzler. Once it was done I grizzled some red pepper and garlic in the lamb fat until it was charred, then slow cooked the lot.

Basically we made these three recipes as our 3-course Easter lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Have any of you tried biga or can you point me in the direction of a foolproof recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Have any of you tried biga or can you point me in the direction of a foolproof recipe?

Youtube link

This guy’s class. Best pizza related content on YouTube that I’ve found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RedCardKid wrote: »
    Have a similar situation with the little one. Ended up buying a new pizza stone just for her. Her Pizza is always the first one done, stone removed and on we go. It can be a very nasty illness that can be triggered by very little contact. Having seen the wee one suffer, I wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Would just making all the bases from GF flour be an option? Or does it not taste as nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Guys what's the go to Dough recipe and sauce recipe that everyone is using. Also what size do you use for your dough balls. We have a woodfired ooni type oven picked up from Amazon that is working a treat, we use pellets or kindling. Now want to go to next level with it and improve on the pizzas!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

TheFairy wrote: »
    Guys what's the go to Dough recipe and sauce recipe that everyone is using. Also what size do you use for your dough balls. We have a woodfired ooni type oven picked up from Amazon that is working a treat, we use pellets or kindling. Now want to go to next level with it and improve on the pizzas!

Dough is 500g flour, 300ml warm water, teaspoon dry yeast, pinch of salt and sugar. That makes 4 x 12" bases. 72 hours proving in the fridge if possible.

No sauce recipe. Just passata. Less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Download the ooni app - there is an ingredient calculator there, aim for 70% hydration and doughballs of around 200g to 230g depending on how thin you want the base

For pizza sauce try the mutti pizza sauce, it comes in a green tin - its really nice and there is no crap in it, just tomatoes and a few herbs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Download the ooni app - there is an ingredient calculator there, aim for 70% hydration and doughballs of around 200g to 230g depending on how thin you want the base

For pizza sauce try the mutti pizza sauce, it comes in a green tin - its really nice and there is no crap in it, just tomatoes and a few herbs

70% is probably on the high side for someone relatively new? I'd get really comfortable with 60-65% before moving on.

That mutti pizza sauce is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the gustibus range is good too; i think we got some in lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

70% would be a bit high if you weren't used to it and depending on what type of pizza you would want to make,for me recently ive been using 60/63% in a woodfire oven as i like a crispy base ,if i was making a neapolitan pizza id go for 65/70%

Also should have a look at PizzApp i find it a lot better than the Ooni one.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

MacDanger wrote: »
    Would just making all the bases from GF flour be an option? Or does it not taste as nice?

If I am honest it tastes like muck. I wouldnt be a fan of it myself if you know what the real things tastes like. Additionally, I would never have convinced the wife I need a Napoleon gas BBQ and a gas Pizza oven otherwise!!! :P:P

Download the Pizzapp...all very simple and minimal yeast needed, hydration approx. 63-65%. Balls I normally target 280-300g and find that to be a nice size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

nomoedoe wrote: »
    70% would be a bit high if you weren't used to it and depending on what type of pizza you would want to make,for me recently ive been using 60/63% in a woodfire oven as i like a crispy base ,if i was making a neapolitan pizza id go for 65/70%

Also should have a look at PizzApp i find it a lot better than the Ooni one.

Fair point - should have said I like a thin base and found it difficult to stretch it thin at 60%. 70% makes it a lot more pliable

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

RedCardKid wrote: »
    Download the Pizzapp...all very simple and minimal yeast needed, hydration approx. 63-65%. Balls I normally target 280-300g and find that to be a nice size.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Should also add that 00 flour with a protein level above 13% also makes a difference to the dough.

Pizza sauce also very simple....good quality tinned San Marzanno tomatos....just a pinch of sea salt and squeeze them with your hands to a sauce. No work in it.....

Fresh basil blended with good olive oil is a nice finish for most pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs. B surprised me with an Ooni Koda for my birthday! I guess I’ll be down the pizza dough rabbit hole now.

It’s the gas one so I need to get a gas bottle. Where do you get gas bottles these days? What type do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Mrs. B surprised me with an Ooni Koda for my birthday! I guess I’ll be down the pizza dough rabbit hole now.

It’s the gas one so I need to get a gas bottle. Where do you get gas bottles these days? What type do you need?

Its propane gas or as its called here patio gas i've got it in Woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

BaZmO* wrote: »

It's propane but you don't need the propane tank, you need Patio Gas which is the same stuff but with the correct connector.

• Advertisement

Copied an earlier poster on this thread and popped my Karu on a Halfords tool trolley, with gas tank on lower shelf - gonna live outdoors now with a cover (next to its siblings).

549767.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Copied an earlier poster on this thread and popped my Karu on a Halfords tool trolley, with gas tank on lower shelf - gonna live outdoors now with a cover (next to its siblings).

What cover do you use. wondering what I would need to get through cold wet winter days without damage?

tmh106 wrote: »
    What cover do you use. wondering what I would need to get through cold wet winter days without damage?

I got this one from Amazon (76 cm version) - actually fits it very well (see pic below), albeit without the chimney attached (but this does slot nicely next to the gas tank for storage). Should protect it fine over winter. Note it was cheaper when I bought it - about €11 ex-VAT.

Ignore the manky decking and fence - getting painted shortly!

549892.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I've been following this thread for a while having got a Karu late last year. Between moving house etc, finally unpacked it recently and inspired by oleras's table I started building my own table at the weekend. So just dropping in to say thanks to all for sharing their hints and tips!

I'll post a pic when i'm finished. And thanks to oscarBravo for sharing the .stl file for the leg brackets as well. I downloaded and tweaked them to fit my table and they work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

tmh106 wrote: »

Another option is Ooni themselves who sell covers on their site, 25 euro I paid for mine. It has been on it all winter and has stood up very well as its made of good quality material. It also doubles as a carry bag with handles too if you ever wanted to bring it camping somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Well, delighted to say my Koda 12 arrived last Friday evening and we tested it out yesterday with success. Delighted with how the pizza dough turned out but I really need to get the hang of stretching it and launching it into the oven. (I was using an aluminium peel; my 8" peel arrived today so that should help with turning and the wood peel from Ooni is still sitting somewhere with GLS in France.) I'd post a photo but can't remember how to do it here!

Dough proofing in the fridge now so it'll be pizza for dinner tomorrow or Wednesday so I can get practicing again.

@Muahahaha was the inspiration for a table I've asked my husband to make, which he's working on now :) Will post pics when the Koda is in its new home.

Hope we get some good weather to enjoy our staycations this year, even my teens are asking to have friends over for pizza!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Blizzard wrote: »
    Well, delighted to say my Koda 12 arrived last Friday evening and we tested it out yesterday with success. Delighted with how the pizza dough turned out but I really need to get the hang of stretching it and launching it into the oven. (I was using an aluminium peel; my 8" peel arrived today so that should help with turning and the wood peel from Ooni is still sitting somewhere with GLS in France.) I'd post a photo but can't remember how to do it here!

If you upload your photos to Postimage, click on the code for forums (third from the bottom) and paste it here it'll post your photo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone know if the Ooni Owners Ireland page has been deleted from Facebook? Either that or they've kicked me out...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Ooni Owners Ireland page has been deleted from Facebook? Either that or they've kicked me out...

:D

The group is still there. Can’t see a page cos I ain’t a member.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »

Definitely there, you must have been naughty!

Advertisement