Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Russian build up along Ukraine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭sparky42

They have sent a lot of hardware to the border, much I think than they have been doing since the war broke out, testing to see what Biden might do? Distracting from something domestic again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Weather's improving - sun is higher in the sky....campaign season is almost upon us and The Bear is coming out of hibernation!

Western Europe (in general) seems to care little about what goes on 'over there' - ah shur...that's nothing to do with us!

Oh, and by the way...those minor law changes that were voted in last July...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53255964

Guess whose 'power-base' has suddenly extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

From what I'm reading, it's not a huge move, 2000 men. And an artillery exchange that lasted a day when they usually last an hour. So this seems to be over reported.

blindsider wrote: »
    Weather's improving - sun is higher in the sky....campaign season is almost upon us and The Bear is coming out of hibernation!

That gave us all a huge fright, that year they moved on Crimea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I dont know what to read into this, the US asked about it as it wasnt planned movements, some guy on Twitter I read in his page ( I forget who he is ) but he said if the Russians were planning to attack they would have moved fast already & they would have used Artillery first to soften the ground for Infantry to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

On Twitter, GorseFiresCollectif and Andy Scollick seem to be knowledgeable and fairly anti Putin. (=Free press/slightly west-leaning neutral.)

They are both suggesting that the situation in Ukraine is anything but 'minor'......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Smiles35 wrote: »
    From what I'm reading, it's not a huge move, 2000 men. And an artillery exchange that lasted a day when they usually last an hour. So this seems to be over reported.

That gave us all a huge fright, that year they moved on Crimea.

Not what I'm seeing. Many of the units seen in the area would have no military reason to be operating here, other than a pre-invasion built-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Russia are promoting the narrative that they will invade Ukraine if the Ukrainians don't turn the water back on to the Crimea.

https://www.rt.com/russia/518514-ukraine-invaded-water-supply/

That was spoken about on Twitter, if thats the case just give them the water & be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Psychlops wrote: »
    That was spoken about on Twitter, if thats the case just give them the water & be done with it.

And how does that help to eject Russia from their illegal annexation of the Crimean penisula.

The West must back Ukraine unstintingly in its fight for territorial integrity against the rotten corrupt cess pit that is the Russian Federation under Putin.

Putin relies on the reticence of the West to put him on his arse. He should be disabused of that notion.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    And how does that help to eject Russia from their illegal annexation of the Crimean penisula.

The West must back Ukraine unstintingly in its fight for territorial integrity against the rotten corrupt cess pit that is the Russian Federation under Putin.

Putin relies on the reticence of the West to put him on his arse. He should be disabused of that notion.

Well if it stops an escalation I am all for it.

It wont.
    Russian state sponsored media saying things like "Russians in Ukraine need to be protected" and "there is no Ukraine, just Nazi supporting rats".
    There is a bigger game being played here.
    Remember in 2000 all of a sudden we were hearing about how the Taliban in Afghanistan were destroying ancient religious shrines, closing schools and forcing women to wear the burkha? Then when the inevitable invasion of A-Stan came, society sayd "fine, nasty people there anyway, I read about them on t'internet".
    Remember when Saddam Hussein had Chemical weapons and he was going to launch them at Israel any minute, drawing the Saudis into a global conflict when the Israeli invaded the birthplace of Mohammed (PBUHN). Then we saw the inevitable invasion of iraq and society said "Thats fine, nip it in the bud, better in the long term".
    Remember when Saddam Hussein publicly stated the enemy he feared most was a son of saudi Billionaires with close ties to the Saudi Royal family who had become a radicalised Salafist, with a terrorist network that had spread all over the world. And then this Saudi masterminded an attack on New York and Washington DC when some of his saudi followers flew planes into the WTC and the Pentagon. And as a result we were none surprised when the US and other allied states invaded Saudi Arabia to dismantle the regeime that supported him financially militarily and practically?
    Oh, right, the last one didn't go the same way, because the message was controlled, because the world still relied on Saudi Oil, and they need to be kept sweet no matter what they do.
    So the message is controlled.
    That is what russian state media has been doing.
    Preparing it's people for an inevitable invasion of Ukranian sovereign territory, as if it was part of the old USSR, stolen from them.
    If they get away with Ukraine, they will do the exact same in the Baltic states, and before you know it, their eye will be on finland to secure access to their arctic ports.

Quite right Dohvolle.

The only thing Putin will respond to, is an escalation. He's posturing now, but his equipment is knackered and his supplies cannot sustain a serious engagement.

As soon as he steps foot inside of Ukraine's current eastern border, NATO should lay waste to his forces.

Quite right Dohvolle.

The only thing Putin will respond to, is an escalation. He's posturing now, but his equipment is knackered and his supplies cannot sustain a serious engagement.

As soon as he steps foot inside of Ukraine's current eastern border, NATO should lay waste to his forces.

There's enough SIGINT aircraft buzzing the Russian border to give anyone on the ground wearing a headset a nice suntan.
    France have also offered Ukraine some Rafales. Light years ahead of most of what the Russian AF have, except the top end kit they keep close to home. Will be interesting to see if France decide to lend some until they make their mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Dohvolle wrote: »
    It wont.
    Russian state sponsored media saying things like "Russians in Ukraine need to be protected" and "there is no Ukraine, just Nazi supporting rats".

Any idea why they were waiting 5 years?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

President Zelensky made a direct appeal to the NATO Sec Gen today to fast track his nation's accession process to that organisation. Not to make them a member immediately, but to hasten the steps in the process to demonstrate a clear policy and solidarity with the democratic nations of Europe.

Have to hand it to him, its a good way to see the colour of NATOs money. Either they're serious and they'll back him, or they aren't and NATO is a golf club with a nice members bar in Brussels.

As a side issue, it'll be pretty juicy to see what Hungary does about it, as it will put Viktor Orban at odds with Putin, where he doesn't really want to be. Ditto Poland, albeit to a lesser extent.

zom wrote: »
    Any idea why they were waiting 5 years?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Ukrainian_War

The conflict did not stop, it is just moving to the next phase. Word is Putin is unwell, and this may be his big moment to make his name for eternity, before his illness sees him physically decline and withdraw from view, like so many former soviet leaders did before.

The conflict did not stop, it is just moving to the next phase. Word is Putin is unwell, and this may be his big moment to make his name for eternity, before his illness sees him physically decline and withdraw from view, like so many former soviet leaders did before.

Yeah a lot of chat about that the last 6 months. Was it Parkinsons or Alzheimers that was mentioned?

Yeah a lot of chat about that the last 6 months. Was it Parkinsons or Alzheimers that was mentioned?

Parkinsons.
    We don't need another world leader with Alzheimers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭standardg60

Peace in our time, yep that works.

Parkinsons.
    We don't need another world leader with Alzheimers.

You see he signed a law allowing him to stay in Power?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/vladimir-putin-passes-law-that-may-keep-him-in-office-until-2036

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Exercise my hool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The military buildup has been continuing throughout the weekend. Russian spokespeople not even trying to claim it is military exercises anymore. Currently believed to be 85,000 Russian soldiers positioned on the Ukrainian border.

Initially I thought the Russian military was putting pressure on Ukrainian Government to alleviate the water blockade in Crimea. Now I wouldn't be surprised if there is the possibility of Russian forces annexing the territories held by separatists entirely. Precursor to this would be a request by the Government's of DPR and and LPR for intervention.

The Ukrainian Government have been saying they have military intelligence to suggest that the Russian Government is undertaking a massive military buildup that will continue throughout April culminating in a large scale invasion next month. I think everyone is highly skeptical of that, but if this military buildup continues in the weeks ahead then tensions will significantly increase. Of course that is probably what Russia wants, again the end goal may be to use a crisis to secure concessions on energy and water supplies. However this military buildup is a significant one and won't come cheap for the Russian Government. They want to get something significant out of it.

On Ukraine’s doorstep, Russia boosts military and sends message of regional clout to Biden

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1381242708359061507

Consequences will be heavy sanctions.

By now the West mustn't have many sanctions left in the locker to impose....

Consequences will be heavy sanctions.

Don't forget negative press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Quick guide to Russia-Ukraine military tensions

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56720589

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

Well this is most welcome news, honestly speaking I firmly believe we have stepped back from an actual brink of something, I wonder did they have a war of words via their video conference today on Climate change.

Either way this is great news, nobody would win a conflict like this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56842763

Advertisement