Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quickest way you've seen someone lose it all?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

For millennials maybe,but any honest proud irish person wants a United ireland,be it now or the near future

what happens if you re an honest proud irish person, and you dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Good friend of mine had a pretty horrific near death experience in late teens but he pulled through although he became a nightmare for drink and drugs. He sorted himself out and he looked to be on the right path, good job, girlfriend.

He received an unexpected inheritance from extended family, very significant sum in the region of 250k I think. Jacked in the job, went drinking along with the help of some local lads who took a shine to the money and didn't stop drinking until the money was gone, which was only about 2 years. His girlfriend was long gone at this stage, drinking buddies disappeared soon afterwards. Gambling had a part to play too.

Died in drink driving accident with a big wall a few years later after many attempts to stop drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

For millennials maybe,but any honest proud irish person wants a United ireland,be it now or the near future

Its embarrassing all these years later to be still calling it the free state, move on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Brendan O´Carroll took a lease for a pub and got screwed over by his business partner. So he went bankrupt

I believe he lost over 2 million sterling producing a film and he spent years in negotiations but eventually everyone got paid back.

Just how I remember his story and I like it. Seems honourable the way he treats people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Its embarrassing all these years later to be still calling it the free state, move on

It is the free state though, embarrassment yes by our forefathers who created a divided country,ask any nationalist in tbe 6 counties what it was like to be abandoned and feel abandoned by most down here,out of sight out of mind eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

It is the free state though, embarrassment yes by our forefathers who created a divided country,ask any nationalist in tbe 6 counties what it was like to be abandoned and feel abandoned by most down here,out of sight out of mind eh?

Who cares

celt262 wrote: »
    Who cares

Not u obviously snowflake, but those of us with kids and grandkids up there do, and those forced to flee their houses overnight by uvf elements, saying no more , conversation closed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread needs to get back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Good friend of mine had a pretty horrific near death experience in late teens but he pulled through although he became a nightmare for drink and drugs. He sorted himself out and he looked to be on the right path, good job, girlfriend.

He received an unexpected inheritance from extended family, very significant sum in the region of 250k I think. Jacked in the job, went drinking along with the help of some local lads who took a shine to the money and didn't stop drinking until the money was gone, which was only about 2 years. His girlfriend was long gone at this stage, drinking buddies disappeared soon afterwards. Gambling had a part to play too.

Died in drink driving accident with a big wall a few years later after many attempts to stop drinking.

probably better off

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    probably better off

Bloody money amazing how it changes some ppl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

probably better off

Yeah probably. He owed loads of people money too. Not dangerous people or anything that I know of, but friends that would have given him a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

vriesmays wrote: »
    Frank McNamara - use to be a respected, successful, middle-brow composer/musician. Now he's playing at funerals scraping a living after the banks tried to take his home.

Hes married to a barrister. And the bank didn't take his home,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Brendan O´Carroll took a lease for a pub and got screwed over by his business partner. So he went bankrupt

I believe he lost over 2 million sterling producing a film and he spent years in negotiations but eventually everyone got paid back.

Just how I remember his story and I like it. Seems honourable the way he treats people

Brendan paid back all his debts. He also gives a lot of money to deserving charities

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

The world was my oyster, apparently, never had it to loose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

if one is locally popular they can get away with anything , being from a popular family adds to it too , place i grew up , a guy literally killed another fella ( not deliberately but a punch up after a days drinking ) , never did his popularity a bit of harm , guy has no shame anyway but those kind of brass necked clients just see everything wash off them

Well this guy owed €28m and the debt was/is a badge of honour for him. I don’t know if it’s rumour or fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if it were true, but apparently he was in a local restaurant one night and very loudly said “anyone that didn’t go broke wasn’t living properly. Sure what is it only a few bob”. The neck on this guy is unbelievable. Hopefully some of the people he wronged will catch up with him eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Anyone that lost a lot of money (I’m referring to debt here) , regardless of whether the banks or a sole trader suffered the resulting loss because the money can’t be retrieved and are living their lives with zero remorse/no regrets, happily ignoring requests to pay the money back , must be a special breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

vriesmays wrote: »
    Frank McNamara - use to be a respected, successful, middle-brow composer/musician. Now he's playing at funerals scraping a living after the banks tried to take his home.

You mean the banks generously allowed him to live rent free in their house for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What has this got to do with the 25 - 40 age group?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

vitreouss wrote: »
    Had a friend in his late 20s who was a millionaire after getting into an engineering degree and working for a famous multi-national company in the U.S.

Work was good but stressful. One day he got into a car accident and was prescribed strong painkillers (hydrocodone) for his leg. Got dependent and within a year and a half he lost his job, sold his house/car, and ended up homeless for a while. Called a family member who got him off the streets and into rehab. Doing better now.

Any stories like these?

what did he do with all the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

sporina wrote: »

Heroin is often a cheaper “pain relief” than prescription pain killers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Worked for an accountant who was also a developer. He had a practice (and a business partner) in Dublin and also bought a plot of land in the carribean and was developing this. He owned a house on a golf course in florida (tiger woods supposedly owned the house next door). He owned a limousine company, creches and a couple of other companies. Used to be some craic when his business partner would open the post (the partner was quite elderly and the other partner was rarely there). there would be work credit card bills coming in with €20 and €25k on them and none of the expenses work related.
    Had his sister and father working for him and all this before he was 40. Crash came and he was over extended with the banks and the limos were lifted one day, he had to sell some property he had here and abroad and the development in the carribean. Soem heavies called round the office one day looking for him and could hardly fit in the door. A lot of people had invested in this and i am not sure if they all got their money back. Got a jail sentence for stealing money from some elderly clients and also got a con current sentence for signing audit reports when he wasnt a registered auditor. He was able to hold on to his house and he still lives in this. He works as a spiritual medium now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A guy I used to babysit for ....got arrested and convicted for fraud ..to the amount of 8 million.

Weird he was always talking bull****. I actually jokingly said it in front of my dad and him ..you guys talk such nonsense. His kid used to lie all the time.

Very friendly ...almost too friendly. Big talker ..would talk a load of bleh bleh bleh

I actually don't think his wife knew. Well until she knew..

The weird thing is this is going to sound awful ..but talking to him ...you could tell he wasn't einstein ...i mean you would have thought he would realize he wasn't smart enough to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

The weird thing is this is going to sound awful ..but talking to him ...you could tell he wasn't einstein ...i mean you would have thought he would realize he wasn't smart enough to get away with it.

If all it took was being intelligent, then I'd be wealthy, which I'm not. I'm no Einstein but I'm not stupid, I'm absolutely certain there are millionaires with less intelligence than me.

Sometimes people succeed in spite of themselves, e.g., they invest into something that some more measured people would dismiss as too risky, and the stars align and boom, they're wealthy.

Sometimes it just takes the balls to do something and often times I think people who are too intelligent, less impulsive, can fail to reach their potential because of it.

I don't have a brass neck. I wish I did, but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina wrote: »

thanks.. but, OP?

A lad I went to college with posted a massive post over the weekend about he lost everything on cryptocurrency during the crash on Sunday. Had gone all in on crypto, and was leveraged up to his tits.

I must admit I find it difficult to drum up much personal sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

What mind of engineering degree can make you a millionaire in your 20s (or 60s for that matter!). I want in!

Get a job (e.g. engineer or project manager) with 10+ years experience with one of the big oil/gas companies out in the Middle East, tough it out for about 10 years, don't let the money go to your head and look after it and i guarantee you'll be a cash millionaire by the end of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A lad I went to college with posted a massive post over the weekend about he lost everything on cryptocurrency during the crash on Sunday. Had gone all in on crypto, and was leveraged up to his tits.

I must admit I find it difficult to drum up much personal sympathy for him.

He bought high and he sold low (hopefully he didn't sell).
    Only thing for it now is hope it comes back somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If all it took was being intelligent, then I'd be wealthy, which I'm not. I'm no Einstein but I'm not stupid, I'm absolutely certain there are millionaires with less intelligence than me.

Sometimes people succeed in spite of themselves, e.g., they invest into something that some more measured people would dismiss as too risky, and the stars align and boom, they're wealthy.

Sometimes it just takes the balls to do something and often times I think people who are too intelligent, less impulsive, can fail to reach their potential because of it.

I don't have a brass neck. I wish I did, but I don't.

I'm risk averse and lazy so I doubt I'll manage to ever have a million in the bank. Not unless I get lucky with the idiot's tax (Lotto).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Motivator wrote: »
    Loads of stories from the Celtic Tiger era that locally were happening on an almost weekly basis post 2008 crash.

One builder that was a friend of the family years ago had two or three new estates in the works when the crash came. At one point he could put his hand on €10m cash but in the space of a couple of years everything was gone. Business up in smoke, helicopter gone, house taken By NAMA - the whole lot. To be fair to him, most of the cash he had stashed was used to pay the smaller lads who also went under. That was something that I won’t forget. He settled up with any local plumber, carpenter and electrician that were employed and had gotten through some work for him on the new estates. Other lads in his position hit the road and left everyone high and dry. His projects were absolutely flying and honestly it felt like it was overnight that things just disappeared for him. His wife was too used to the highlife and bolted on him, kids gone the whole lot.

He moved away from the area at the start of the last decade. I saw him around two years ago in a petrol station up the country driving a DPD van.

He had a helicopter?

FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Must be a sole destroying experience, wealth built on air, we 're slowly moving back towards this again

Nah, that's my local chipper.

Advertisement