Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Treating timber fence

• 10-04-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I had a pressure impregnated softwood fence installed last summer. My plan is to paint it with Cuprinol Ducks Back this summer. Can I apply this directly to the treated timber or do I need to treat it further before painting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

I had a pressure impregnated softwood fence installed last summer. My plan is to paint it with Cuprinol Ducks Back this summer. Can I apply this directly to the treated timber or do I need to treat it further before painting?

I think that stuffs pretty ****e.

Have a read of this. Ring these guys. Great advice from them.

They recommend Owatrol EB and high quality 100% acrylic masonry paint from colour trend that you can colour in any way that you want.

I did it on my fence last year. Great results.

https://www.paperturn-view.com/igoe/problem-solvers-2020?pid=MTE119381

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Timber is a natural material which expands and contracts in the weather and the moisture content goes up and down so, IMO, any treatment solution must recognise that.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

To answer your question, no further prep needed. I guess that product is similar to fencelife, cheap and cheerful and does the trick. Will need 2 or 3 coats and more frequently than the 5 years suggested. Better and more expensive products out there, I guess you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

To answer your question, no further prep needed. I guess that product is similar to fencelife, cheap and cheerful and does the trick. Will need 2 or 3 coats and more frequently than the 5 years suggested. Better and more expensive products out there, I guess you get what you pay for.

You mention better products, specifically which brand? I bought this in Homeland hardware and would be prepared to exchange. Below is the website address to their paints, any of these better?
    https://www.homeland.ie/hardware/garden-paint/
    The reason we bought the was because of the colours.

Thanks for answering my initial question re preparing the pressure treated timber by the way.

• Advertisement

Ronseal Fence Life and Fence Life + any better?

Do a Google of best shed paints, both Cuprinol and Fence Life are suggested. Go with whichever has your preferred colour. For me its not justified to spend mad money on a garden fence.

Stayed with the cuprinol in the end.

Stick up a few before and after pics if you have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I thought you needed to sand it?

I sanded a large area of pressure treated softwood fence by hand before varnishing last year. It took ages and was an annoying job. Brightened the wood up a lot though, not that that will matter if you are staining it.

Planning to stain some of it this year that I didn't treat last year. Got an electric sander. Is there no need to sand it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭spuddy4711

I just slapped on whatever stain was to hand, didn’t bother sanding. Consider 20 years a good
    innings for a wooden fence.

Fencelife states it can be applied to rough / sawn timber as I'd say most similar products can too.
    If there is previous fencelife or other, you'd need to check condition and remove any flaking bits etc but that is all I suggest.
    For proper paint the surface should be smooth alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Stayed with the cuprinol in the end.

We have used this for smooth fence and shed .
    2 coats . Lovely colours.
    Done 3 years and still pretty good .

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Fencelife plus works on smooth wood I see. They have another variant called one voat that is for rough wood only.

Advertisement