Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Rfrip wrote: »
    Dying to see this

Glad to see it been added, was one of the films I wanted to see just never got around to it

I watched the first episode of "Them" last night, I really wasn't expecting the episode to ramp up as much as it did near the end but definitely has my interest to watch the rest of the episodes

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Wow that looks absolute garbage.

It's top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wow that looks absolute garbage.
    Based on what? The trailer?
    All the signs seem to point to the opposite....will be checking out this week anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

gmisk wrote: »
    All the signs seem to point to the opposite....will be checking out this week anyway

Watched it last week. It's really excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

gmisk wrote: »

If I understand the premises correctly? This is the part I have trouble with - Drummer loses his hearing, which is entirely down to his own fault, what a martyr. Boo ho. Presumably the chick wears protection, or maybe their dream is to be eternally deaf?

If I understand the premises correctly? This is the part I have trouble with - Drummer loses his hearing, which is entirely down to his own fault, what a martyr. Boo ho. Presumably the chick wears protection, or maybe their dream is to be eternally deaf?

I shall watch in the next few days. I have no idea how accurate your irrate guesses are but regardless, the best of cinema is about human experience. You don't have to view protagonists to be perfect people or anything... Also guessing a film that is highly regarded is terrible based on a limited blurb, that's pretty silly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What a bizarre thing to get worked up over. I think you'll find that most movies have characters that don't make rational decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

A fair few of my friends (all mid-forties) have hearing loss or tinnitus from loud music and gigs. Protection against hearing loss wasn't thought about, discussed or recommended when we were going to gigs in our late teens through to our late twenties. The first time I saw ear plugs at a gig was when Mogwai use to sell them because they were so loud. Yeah, people messed up their hearing but mainly through ignorance. It's hardly justification for going 'Oh, you lost your hearing? Boo hoo...' It must be horrifying to lose your hearing especially when your entire life is based around it.

I've lost most of my hearing in one ear from repeated infections from a cyst at the opening from my ear into my skull. The repeated infections basically ate away one and a half of the three small bones in my inner ear meaning I don't here any high frequencies in that ear - so if someone is talking to me beside that ear, I know they're talking to me but the lack of higher frequencies means I can't make out what they're saying. Thankfully my other ear can compensate most of the time but losing your hearing blows. Honestly don't know if it's due to loud music but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

A fair few of my friends (all mid-forties) have hearing loss or tinnitus from loud music and gigs. Protection against hearing loss was thought about, discussed or recommended when we were going to gigs in our late teens through to our late twenties. The first time I saw ear plugs at a gig was when Mogwai use to sell them because they were so loud. Yeah, people messed up their hearing but mainly through ignorance. It's hardly justification for going 'Oh, you lost your hearing? Boo hoo...' It must be horrifying to lose your hearing especially when your entire life is based around it.

I've lost most of my hearing in one ear from repeated infections from a cyst at the opening from my ear into my skull. The repeated infections basically ate away one and a half of the three small bones in my inner ear meaning I don't here any high frequencies in that ear - so if someone is talking to me beside that ear, I know they're talking to me but the lack of higher frequencies means I can't make out what they're saying. Thankfully my other ear can compensate most of the time but losing your hearing blows. Honestly don't know if it's due to loud music but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Sorry to hear that, really I am. I've played drums for 30 plus years. From metal to punk etc. None of the people in my circle used ear plugs, naivety of being young expecting your hearing to bounce back.

Foam inserts gave off a muffled bass driven sound. Soon as those rubbery types came on the market, it was a game changer. Those saved my hearing.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, really I am. I've played drums for 30 plus years. From metal to punk etc. None of the people in my circle used ear plugs, naivety of being young expecting your hearing to bounce back.

Foam inserts gave off a muffled bass driven sound. Soon as those rubbery types came on the market, it was a game changer. Those saved my hearing.

You'll have to forgive me but knowing your history of playing drums and that you wouldn't have used ear plugs in your youth which would have put your hearing at risk, it seems doubly odd that you can not empathise at all with the plight of a guy losing his hearing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

You'll have to forgive me but knowing your history of playing drums and that you wouldn't have used ear plugs in your youth which would have put your hearing at risk, it seems doubly odd that you can not empathise at all with the plight of a guy losing his hearing like that.

I think you should watch the film Sugarlumps as, like the above, I actually think you would get a lot out of it, maybe more than most

I have seen it and was very impressed, I don’t want to say anything further for risk of spoiling it

I'm an oddball.

I've watched seven episodes of Them so far and while it's a really good show, it's unremittingly bleak. I'd recommend spacing it out a bit more than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched making their mark, which is a sports documentary following a number of teams of aussie rules during the pandemic year. personally i have a massive soft spot for this sport as i used to play it as a kid, but i found the documentary incredibly humble and passionate, and very well made insofar as it jumps from one team to another and doesn't just follow the one, but you still end up getting amazing insight into every team it delves into.

I've watched seven episodes of Them so far and while it's a really good show, it's unremittingly bleak. I'd recommend spacing it out a bit more than I did.

I'd agree with this, found there's a lot to take in at times.
    I thought in episode two the scene with Ruby in the classroom was pretty uncomfortable to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Anyone here who had the UK location set for the football and has now been reverted back to the Irish version, did yous have to change anything in the settings after ? Mine stopped and came up saying I was using a VPN, I've turned that off but pretty much everything now comes up not available in your location?

Barely a handful of things I can watch.

My UK library is still working. I use a smart DNS service and it works fine on my Firestick. iPlayer, ITVhub etc all working too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How I wish Sound of Metal was something released in cinemas! That magnificent sound work needs an auditorium-sized surround sound system to really do it justice. Thankfully it still works at home - been a while since a film so dramatically and relentlessly explores sound and silence, and with the goal of putting the viewer inside a characters’ traumatic experience.

The rest of the film is in some ways a conventional indie drama - not in a particularly bad way, but certainly it doesn’t quite have the same visual imagination as it does sound design. Nonetheless, it’s a genuinely tender and compassionate drama with an incredibly committed central performance. Some of the steps along the way may be predictable, but it all comes together for a rich and earned ending that felt natural and true to the character. As a drama it’s absolutely solid, but the commitment to adding that extra sensory layer allows it to rise above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

100 Streets (Elba/Arterton)
    Alabama Moon
    American Hustle
    Arch of Triumph (Hopkins)
    Breaking Through
    The Candidate (Original Title: El reino)
    The Children
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (B.Pitt/Blanchett)
    The Escapist (B.Cox/D.Lewis/J.Fiennes)
    The Free World
    Gangster Squad (J.Brolin/S.Penn/Gosling/E.Stone)
    Goodnight Mommy (Original Title: Ich seh, Ich seh)
    Hatchet II
    How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    Hot Air (Coogan/N.Campbell)
    It Had to Be You
    Julie Walking Home
    Kill Command (V.Kirby)
    Land of the Dead
    The Little Shop of Horrors
    Monster-in-Law
    The Neighbor
    Night of the Living Dead
    The Ninth Configuration
    October Baby
    The Other Boleyn Girl
    Palm Springs (Amazon Exclusive)(2020)
    Re-Animator
    Scanners
    School of Rock (J.Black)
    Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
    The Show (Original Title: This Is Your Death)
    Sound of Metal (Ahmed/O.Cooke)(Amazon Original)(2020) - Academy Award Nominee
    Sunset Song
    Time Trap
    Toys Are Not for Children
    Underdogs (Original Title: Metegol)
    The Unthinkable (Original Title: Den blomstertid nu kommer)
    Welcome to Me

Emergence (Season 1)(2019)
    Flashforward (Season 1)(2009)
    THEM - Covenant (Amazon Original)(2021)
    We Children from Bahnhof Zoo (Amazon Original)(2021)(Original Title: Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Constantine - 23/4
    Gangs of New York - 24/4
    Groundhog Day - 25/4

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

The three most recent episodes of this is us has appeared as ‘unavailable’ for the last couple of weeks, even though they were available to watch for a few days when they first came out. Anyone know why this happens and will they become available again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Scanners

i've heard about it on numerous occasions but never seen it, suppose now's the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

fryup wrote: »
    i've heard about it on numerous occasions but never seen it, suppose now's the time?

Likely my plan anyway only watched one of Croenbergs others Rabid(also on Prime) a few months back that I'd not seen I mean who wouldn't want to watch a virus movie right now?? :D

The Brood is on Prime now as well. Long time since I seen it but remember it being fairly unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

The three most recent episodes of this is us has appeared as ‘unavailable’ for the last couple of weeks, even though they were available to watch for a few days when they first came out. Anyone know why this happens and will they become available again?

I posted about this back in the thread. I was onto Amazon and apparently there is an error in these episodes that's preventing irish viewers seeing them. They are looking into the matter and say they will email me when it's resolved. I'll post here if I hear anything. :) Very annoying though, one of my favourite series.

I posted about this back in the thread. I was onto Amazon and apparently there is an error in these episodes that's preventing irish viewers seeing them. They are looking into the matter and say they will email me when it's resolved. I'll post here if I hear anything. :) Very annoying though, one of my favourite series.

Aw great thanks for the reply. Hopefully they sort that soon, and agreed, it’s excellent 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God I loved sound of metal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Just finished watching Them. Very good but very nasty.
    It’s like a tv series of ‘Get Out’ although probably not as good but even more nasty. Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Invincible, really is a great show. Highly recommend for any superhero/comic book fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just finished watching Them. Very good but very nasty.
    It’s like a tv series of ‘Get Out’ although probably not as good but even more nasty. Well worth watching.

An Irish interest in there too, Natalie Britton from Dublin plays Dottie who pops up a few times over the series.

• Advertisement

I see this is now sorted, and can catch up now. Finally 😊

Advertisement