Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this pump fitted the wrong way around?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

With a perfectly installed system the pipe stat if installed on the flow and depending on its setting will generally start the pump sooner than if it is installed on the return close to the stove and shouldn't start it at all with OF on and stove off but will start it if installed where yours is as water circulates through the cylinder coil irrespective of which heating system is in service.

It looks to me as if the stove pump is pumping away from the stove return, through the cylinder return (and rads) and back through the cylinder flow (and rads) to the stove flow and downwards through the stove and back through the pump. Until the circ pump comes in then the flow will be the other way (with stove only on) but will reverse direction immediately the pump starts. It is certainly not, under any circumstances, supposed to be installed this way. I did see a neighbours OF system operating in reverse for 8/9 years until he asked me to have a look as the boiler very occasionally tripped out on the hi limit stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

John.G wrote: »
    With a perfectly installed system the pipe stat if installed on the flow and depending on its setting will generally start the pump sooner than if it is installed on the return close to the stove and shouldn't start it at all with OF on and stove off but will start it if installed where yours is as water circulates through the cylinder coil irrespective of which heating system is in service.

It looks to me as if the stove pump is pumping away from the stove return, through the cylinder return (and rads) and back through the cylinder flow (and rads) to the stove flow and downwards through the stove and back through the pump. Until the circ pump comes in then the flow will be the other way (with stove only on) but will reverse direction immediately the pump starts. It is certainly not, under any circumstances, supposed to be installed this way. I did see a neighbours OF system operating in reverse for 8/9 years until he asked me to have a look as the boiler very occasionally tripped out on the hi limit stat.

Thanks very much for the time you have taken to figure out what might be going on here. Would you have any idea if any of this could result in air getting sucked into the expansion tank or what he could have meant there?

I will get in touch with the plumber and ask him to look at this properly and try to get configured properly. I will report back on the outcome.

Yes, that could certainly result in air ingress.

Appreciate all the responses John G. Will report back.

I have the stove off tonight and the stat on the side of the stove set to 0. Side of stove doesn't seem warm this time and it doesn't look like the pump is kicking in either. Would that make sense? Just wondering is this a potential workaround until I get it sorted properly.

• Advertisement

Are you sure?, setting the pump stat to 0C should mean its constantly running?.

Edit: Is this a different stat to the one on the cylinder return?.

Are you sure?, setting the pump stat to 0C should mean its constantly running?.

Edit: Is this a different stat to the one on the cylinder return?.

Yes returned the stat on the cylinder to 55 as it was before. Not the pump stat. Just the dial on the side of the stove which goes from 0 to 5 I had turned sown 0 could be wrong though it might have no effect unless the stove is lit. It's for controlling the burn rate. Was just an odd observation this evening and if effects hot water circulating through the stove. Stove was cold and pump stat in hot press wasn't kicking in this time.

Edit: looking into it it should only control air flow. Odd the stove is cold down the side today and the pump never kicked in. I'll need to get it looked at.

The 0 to 5 is a damper of some sort so are you saying that with the OF on (and stove off) that the pump isn't running at stat set point of 55C?. Are the cylinder flow and return pipes hot?.

The 0 to 5 is a damper of some sort so are you saying that with the OF on (and stove off) that the pump isn't running at stat set point of 55C?. Are the cylinder flow and return pipes hot?.

Yeah but I don't think the setting on the stove should have any impact think am off with that but for whatever reason hot water doesn't seem to have travelled down to it this time. The pipes to the right of the pump are hot and to the left of the pump the pipe is fairly warm but not as hot. I guess it's just not at 55 and not starting the pump although the OF was on quite a while. A lot less time yesterday activated the pump. Will put on OF for another while to see.

As a sidenote is 55 a typical temp for a stove pump. I guess putting it higher would help stop the OF activating it but you would be burning a lot of fuel in the stove to get the radiators warm, particularly with the unusual stat placement.

It depends on what the stat is measuring, if its the flow (hot) from the boiler 55c might be OK but if its measuring the return it might be set to 40C. If you are not lighting the stove then suggest setting it to 65C or so but reduce it if lighting the stove.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I recall the stat was originally set to 75 (maybe to avoid the problem with the OF boiler) and I was told it was too high I'd be burning too much coal to get my radiators hot. Might explain why it was so high before.

If the stat is set too high then there is a danger of the water boiling in the stove as its temperature can be substantially higher than the temperature at the until the pump cuts in, so 75C might be the prudent max temp to set to, if the OF boiler stat is currently set to 65/70C then the stove pump cannot start at 75C. (until the stove is lit).

If the stat is set too high then there is a danger of the water boiling in the stove as its temperature can be substantially higher than the temperature at the until the pump cuts in, so 75C might be the prudent max temp to set to, if the OF boiler stat is currently set to 65/70C then the stove pump cannot start at 75C. (until the stove is lit).

Ok think I'll leave the pump stat high at the minute when OF only is on so as not to activate it and will drop it down to 55 when only stove is on until I get it looked at.

Advertisement