Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Helicopter Traffic schedule / Tracker?

• 09-04-2021 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭

Is there anyway of tracking Helicopter Traffic in Ireland via a site or an app?

Particularly the helicopters that check power lines at low altitude.
    If there was even schedule for them it would be quite useful.

I'm living on the outskirts with the countryside on my doorstep but still in a 15m max zone so will be keeping it under that altitude,
    But I would prefer to avoid flying all together when there's helicopter Traffic as there is power lines in the area (which I will keep away from as far as possible.)

There are also army Helicopters that travel to and from Collins Barracks periodically and I would prefer not to fly when they're about also even though they're at a higher altitude than the choppers checking the lines.

I have a Mavic mini on the way and will be using it locally for training but plan to travel further afield outside the 15m zone when I have enough training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

I think I may be wrong about being in a 15M zone as I have been reading the radius colours wrong on the map of the UAV forecast app. I just realized you can specify any radius you want for the airport's.

I'm outside the authorization zones on the DJI fly app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Im only recent convert to drones, but I use FlightRadar24. There are filters you can set, and set to show only aircraft flying under 4000 feet, for example. Works for helis too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Im only recent convert to drones, but I use FlightRadar24. There are filters you can set, and set to show only aircraft flying under 4000 feet, for example. Works for helis too!

Thats perfect thanks! I actually saw helis in the UK using the app but only saw the Irish Coast Guard helis. There was probably no other traffic at the time.

I didn't know you could filter traffic under a certain altitude!

Ive deciced to move even further away from the pilons to a more quiet spot.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement