Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lone Female Traveller Seeks your Advice

• 04-04-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to Boards seeking advise from you knowledgeable people.

I am 29 year old female who is interested in travelling for approx. 4 - 6 weeks this year/next year around Asia perhaps and possibly by myself but may have an option to bring a friend with me or join a solo travel group - although I’m thinking I might enjoy myself if I went alone.

So, I’d like to know:
    1. Where in your opinion would be safe to travel to alone?
    2. If I was to go with my friend what county would you suggest? We are both very different - I like all things health and wellbeing related and she likes the general touristy stuff and drinking at night - but we both like good food!!
    3. If I was to go with a travel group , could you suggest a group? And can you do your own thing if you were to go with a group? I hear they can rip you off though and might be cheaper to do myself? Any thoughts on this?
    4. Are there any websites that are known to be the best in terms advise for travellers?
    5. Budget? I’d ideally like to go somewhere that’s not too expensive but willing to pay for touristy trips too.

So basically I have no idea of anything , it’s something I would like to do in the next year or so and I don’t really even know where to start. Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to Boards seeking advise from you knowledgeable people.

I am 29 year old female who is interested in travelling for approx. 4 - 6 weeks this year/next year around Asia perhaps and possibly by myself but may have an option to bring a friend with me or join a solo travel group - although I’m thinking I might enjoy myself if I went alone.

So, I’d like to know:
    1. Where in your opinion would be safe to travel to alone?
    2. If I was to go with my friend what county would you suggest? We are both very different - I like all things health and wellbeing related and she likes the general touristy stuff and drinking at night - but we both like good food!!
    3. If I was to go with a travel group , could you suggest a group? And can you do your own thing if you were to go with a group?
    4. Are there any websites that are known to be the best in terms advise for travellers?
    5. Budget? I’d ideally like to go somewhere that’s not too expensive but willing to pay for touristy trips too.

So basically I have no idea of anything , it’s something I would like to do in the next year or so and I don’t really even know where to start. Any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading.
    If it's South-East Asia you have in mind several countries are fantastic travel destinations. You get a gentle introduction by starting out in more developed places such as Thailand and Malaysia. Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar (though not at the moment) Indonesia and Laos are all fascinating cultures in their own ways and the food is pretty good everywhere. Though this obviously varies, most countries are fairly safe for women and people travelling alone. Once you get the hang on travelling by yourself it becomes quite addictive and it allows you to absorb more of the local culture. Apart from Singapore, every country in the region is quite cheap if you stay away from the luxury places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

I'm male, it was a long time ago but I travelled through India, Nepal, Thailand and Malaysia solo, met lots of solo female travellers. On a lot of occasions you'd bump into them at bus and train stations and just travel to next destination together. If you got on well then maybe hang out for a few days or just do a few sights together before moving on. At most tourist sites/destinations you'd naturally hang out with other backpackers. Most people are moving in the same circles and it's easy to have travel company if you want it . Sometimes people are happier solo. The options are there. Few years of my life I'll never regret. Lonely Planet Thorntree was a good source of info back then. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LoneFeTravel

Thank you!

rje66 wrote: »
    I'm male, it was a long time ago but I travelled through India, Nepal, Thailand and Malaysia solo, met lots of solo female travellers. On a lot of occasions you'd bump into them at bus and train stations and just travel to next destination together. If you got on well then maybe hang out for a few days or just do a few sights together before moving on. At most tourist sites/destinations you'd naturally hang out with other backpackers. Most people are moving in the same circles and it's easy to have travel company if you want it . Sometimes people are happier solo. The options are there. Few years of my life I'll never regret. Lonely Planet Thorntree was a good source of info back then. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

• Advertisement

tomdublin wrote: »
    If it's South-East Asia you have in mind several countries are fantastic travel destinations. You get a gentle introduction by starting out in more developed places such as Thailand and Malaysia. Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar (though not at the moment) Indonesia and Laos are all fascinating cultures in their own ways and the food is pretty good everywhere. Though this obviously varies, most countries are fairly safe for women and people travelling alone. Once you get the hang on travelling by yourself it becomes quite addictive and it allows you to absorb more of the local culture. Apart from Singapore, every country in the region is quite cheap if you stay away from the luxury places.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Assuming you aren't massively partying and overindulging you should be safe !

pretty much the same as TomDublin has said - common sense and your gut instinct will keep you ok.

plenty of people travel solo - there are loads of apps to meet up with other solo travellers and loads of facebook groups with advice/tips.

you could always blog your adventure and create/build an instagram or other social media following - which could result in funding further travels, obviously this would involve learning about how to create content and produce engagement with followers, but it might be a bit of fun (I've never done it).

as regards the budget ....that really depends on what you want to do, eating/living in those countries can be done super cheap, or can be done in massive expense, Air B&B, Couchsurfing etc can help reduce expenses, learning about cultural events and experiences also make the trip worthwhile

the more planning you put in, the more hints/tips you will learn - for example Songkran in Thailand - thai new year (Start of April) - is celebrated with a water fight, which depending on where you are could be quite immersive experience, however if you didn't expect it you could find random strangers soaking you and your best clothes on your way to a restaurant for dinner - I've seen it happen.

enjoy your adventure - I can't stress how jealous I am (I'm married with kids so travel like that is unaffordable for us anymore - both myself and wife enjoyed our travels before we had the kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Not a female. So my advice may not be the most appropriate.

South East Asia looked safe when I was there.
    Thailand and Vietnam.
    Vietnam is a spectacular country. I would imagine very safe for a female too

As with travelling with your friend, it sounds like ye are not a match and would ruin a holiday. My memories of holidaying with friends are wanting to do things and other people not wanting it, or just going drinking or been too hungover to do stuff.

Once you start travelling solo and realise how good and free it is to be able to what you want you will never go back.

But the first solo trip can be daunting, wondering what the hell am I doing so far away from home on my own. But the key is to keep doing things don't allow idle time. You will meet travellers as some said above who you can travel with as long as it suits you/them then part ways and move on.

My recommendation go on your own and start with Vietnam. A fascinating country that has a great history and bit overly touristed yet, but enough to be easy for your first solo trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Good luck with the trip, just check out what immunisation shots you need before you go and maybe get a revolut card, or alt least explore its practicality

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Moonteach8

I solo travelled throughout my 20s and lived the dream! Some tips:

1) There are a ton of female solo travel blogs online specific to certain countries. Google them and you will find great advice from women who have solo travelled. (I can't remember any off the top of my head but there are some great ones out there).
    2) Have a plan for when you arrive at your destination. How will you get from the airport to your accommodation? Try to arrive during daytime if at all possible.
    3) Have a simple ring that you can pop onto your wedding finger if you feel like it may give you some security. (This is a handy, comforting move!)
    4) Have extra money that you can access should you need it. Again, this is more of a comfort move and fortunately I can't remember ever needing to avail of it.
    5) I used to start my day early and be back in my accommodation before night-time (depending where I was).
    6) Bring a set of spare clothes in your carry on. Keeping a money belt on you for your passport, money and phone is just one less thing to think of and means you can sleep easily while in transit. I had a thin one that was very discreet.

I would really recommend solo travel, you just need to prepare for it. I had a huge thirst for travelling in my 20s. It was a choice between not going or going solo as my friends didn't have the same level of interest. Now that I happily have a mortgage (and hopefully my own family on the way too) those days are past for me but I had so many wonderful experiences. You meet so many interesting people and journey with them along the way. People are often fascinated that you are travelling solo and I received so many kind deeds from strangers. Solo travel shaped me into who I am today and I'm glad I took the plunge.

Enjoy your adventure because that is what it will be!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I did "Vietnam on a Shoestring 18-30s" with G Adventures and it was brilliant! I went on my own and joined the group in Ho Chi Minh, I'd say more than half of the group was made up with solo travellers. As it's the "shoestring" edition, there were very few frills so you could pick and choose as you went along and the group leader would help you organise. Essentially travel, accom and few brekkies/lunches were organised. There was a fair amount of partying to be fair, but equally tons of heritage, museums, countryside bike rides, spa days, boat trips, cooking lessons etc based on my own interests. Some nights we went out as a group for dinner and drinks, other times we broke off into small groups.

I was a bit cautious about joining a group tour, I thought it'd be too rigid or not enough free time but in the end I'm so glad I did it!

EDIT: They've changed it slightly but this was the one https://www.gadventures.com/trips/vietnam-budget-tours/7252/itinerary/

Advertisement