Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am I missing any major sources of information?

Options
  • 05-04-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi all

I’m reasonably new to this genealogy stuff, and Im looking for some advice. I’ve subscribed to a few sites and found them quite useful. I don’t have much or anything to find abroad so it’s mainly Irish records I’m interested in. Here are the sites I’ve used so far. Are there any other good potential sources of data that I’m missing?
    Civil records
    Roots Ireland
    British newspaper archive
    Find my past (has been good for things like petty sessions and dog licences etc)

I haven’t subscribed to ancestry.com yet. It seems quite expensive.

Appreciate any advice

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I would add in the Mormon site 'familysearch' also the probate index for wills. There is also good info in graveyard records eg Glasnevin for lot of Dublin people.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Garlinge wrote: »
    I would add in the Mormon site 'familysearch' also the probate index for wills. There is also good info in graveyard records eg Glasnevin for lot of Dublin people.

Thanks. That’s something I haven’t looked into a great deal- the graveyards. Am I right in saying that there is no central database or site that holds all the graveyard information? It seems a bit hodge-podge from what I’ve seen so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

We have a dedicated thread with links to many graveyards and burial records.

Bear in mind the newspaper collection at the British Newspaper Archive and at Find My Past is one and the same.

There is also the Irish News Archive.

Church records are available at both Irish Genealogy and at the NLI dedicated site.
    The NLI parish register collection can be searched at both Ancestry and Find My Past.

The National Archives of Ireland have will calendars, census returns and more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You've left out the census, which is my first point of reference for any genealogy.

There's a lot of repetition between Ancestry and Findmypast resources but you could do the free trial for the former to check it out.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You've left out the census, which is my first point of reference for any genealogy.

There's a lot of repetition between Ancestry and Findmypast resources but you could do the free trial for the former to check it out.

Of course, yes, I’m using the census, forgot that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Thank you - yes, I’ve used those too- I forgot a lot in my first post, apologies! I also forgot the duchas website which has given me a few leads, not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Repeating myself, but just as we in other countries learn about our Irish ancestors in Irish records, researchers in Ireland can learn a lot by checking records of relatives who emigrated. You may find more about your ancestors in a New York, for example, obit than you would in Irish records. After you've exhausted Irish sources, look abroad.

Advertisement