Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Options

Comments

By the way this thread, which I would like to contribute to, has far too much 9/11 gruff. There is a 9/11 sub forum, no less, with multiple threads and yet it appears here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

By the way this thread, which I would like to contribute to, has far too much 9/11 gruff. There is a 9/11 sub forum, no less, with multiple threads and yet it appears here.

That because the people questioning it know that their nonsense has been debunked in the subforum. They see this as a new outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

For the WEF stuff

This appears to be one of the "co-living" editorials, it's an idea for e.g. students.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/05/co-living-answer-affordable-housing-crisis/

This is the 2016 opinion piece about "owning nothing" which in the meantime conspiracy theorists have gone nuts about prompting the author to add a disclaimer
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/how-life-could-change-2030/

Neither of which point to any conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod: i agree, so let's move on and and if posters wish to discuss 9/11 conspiricy theories, they are more than welcome to do so in its dedicated forum

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Is it just me or has anybody else seen a picture of Ghislaine Maxwell since she was arrested?

• Advertisement

BettyS wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anybody else seen a picture of Ghislaine Maxwell since she was arrested?

Now that is a conspiracy theory I can get behind. Not that all of the US legal system was trying to get Epstein off, or Ghislaine, there's clearly a lot of police who went after Epstein only to see the cases dropped. And now with Ghislaine Maxwell there is a effort to bring her to book. But I don't think we will get much out of her. Some kind of sweetheart deal will happen. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I guess this thread has been sapped like a bubblegum balloon near a candle.

Surprise, surprise, Marjorie Greene, the Republican congresswoman has just admitted the conspiracies she promoted were all false. Sandy hook, 9/11 and Qanon. She's still been kicked off the education and budget panels.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise, Marjorie Greene, the Republican congresswoman has just admitted the conspiracies she promoted were all false. Sandy hook, 9/11 and Qanon. She's still been kicked off the education and budget panels.

That would have made her a little bit crazy anyway, no? Unless of course she is a distraction. She sounds a tad unhinged but having said that it's always good to have a nutcase to link to people who might have a healthy skepticism.

I've often wondered about Paul Wellstone and his death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

That would have made her a little bit crazy anyway, no? Unless of course she is a distraction. She sounds a tad unhinged but having said that it's always good to have a nutcase to link to people who might have a healthy skepticism.
    Or maybe she's a genuine believer?
    But this makes you uncomfortable because it exposes a lot of the issues with your own belief system. Thus it's more comfortable for you to invent a conspiracy about her rather than face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gordon Liddy, the Watergate "mastermind" died, 90 years of age.

Theres a conspiracy. The act and especially the cover up.

Rather amusingly Liddy drove a Rolls Royce with H20GATE as the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

BettyS wrote: »

I was under the impresison she was in jail and her court "appearances" are via videolink. Opportunities for photos on the way to Court are zero. Anyway there are courtroom sketches of her from the video links.

What's your point?

Here's one

That Russia invaded and annexed the Crimea against the will of the majority of Crimeans. And that the Crimeans are just yearning to return to Ukrainian rule directly from Kiev. That Crimea is now crushed under the Russian jackboot :pac:.

Doesn't look like it to me:

crimea2.jpg

crimea1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGUTxM_jlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqCQmRCHZc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Would Santa claus count as a credible conspiracy? Kids genuinely believing in his existence and all adults playing along spending a fortune on toys etc as he is magic and will get you what you want if you are good.

Here's one

That Russia invaded and annexed the Crimea against the will of the majority of Crimeans. And that the Crimeans are just yearning to return to Ukrainian rule directly from Kiev. That Crimea is now crushed under the Russian jackboot :pac:.

Doesn't look like it to me:

crimea2.jpg

crimea1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGUTxM_jlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqCQmRCHZc

Yes, the Ukrainian Crimeans that were chased out do yearn to have as part of Ukraine. The Russian Crimeans don’t. Just like nationalists want Northern Ireland to be reunited with the Republic of Ireland, while unionists want it to remain part of the UK. Not sure what you think the conspiracy is.

I watch a few minutes of that guys video. He bangs on about the bbc being wrong about 95% but provides no evidence himself. He follows school kids sounds claiming that the bbc said there was no school, but it was a tangent from his previous argument that he failed to back up. Very like conspiracy theorists here. Why is he shouting too? It doesn’t make him more right.

Here's one

That Russia invaded and annexed the Crimea against the will of the majority of Crimeans.

The Russians annexed Crimea. Whether or not Crimeans supported it, they really had no choice in the matter.

The Russians annexed Crimea. Whether or not Crimeans supported it, they really had no choice in the matter.

Do you see a resistance movement in Crimea to Russian "occupation"?

I don't. Would you like to know why? Because there isn't one. The only people who think that Crimea is annexed and occupied against their will by Russia is YOU.

Are you aware that the Crimeans requested a referendum to break from Ukraine and return to Russia in 1991/2? Probably not.

Crimea is Russian and always has been. You say they had no choice in being returned to Russia from rule in Kiev. You don't know what you're talking about. You're just making it up as you go along.

The Crimeans are Russians and they have NEVER wanted to be part of Ukraine. But keep telling yourself that they were "invaded" and gobbled up against their will and that they're all running away and trying to become part of Ukraine again.

Have some dignity, man.

Yes, the Ukrainian Crimeans that were chased out do yearn to have as part of Ukraine. The Russian Crimeans don’t. Just like nationalists want Northern Ireland to be reunited with the Republic of Ireland, while unionists want it to remain part of the UK. Not sure what you think the conspiracy is.

I watch a few minutes of that guys video. He bangs on about the bbc being wrong about 95% but provides no evidence himself. He follows school kids sounds claiming that the bbc said there was no school, but it was a tangent from his previous argument that he failed to back up. Very like conspiracy theorists here. Why is he shouting too? It doesn’t make him more right.

Well, do you see a resistance movement in Crimea? You talk about people being run out. Where are they? Do you see Ukrainians funneling arms and money to these anti-Moscow forces? I don't. Where are the riots, the demonstrations against Russian "occupation"? Again, do you see them? I don't and I don't hear anyone from the Crimea that I know saying anything about it either.

Hear's how it goes. Crimea was a Russian province for centuries. It was gifted by Khruschev in the 1950's to Ukraine with NO REFERENDUM or question levelled to the people. But under the Soviet Union that didn't really change things much. With the break up of the USSR in 1991 the Crimeans insisted that they become once again a part of Russia. This was denied until recent events caused Ukraine to be pulled westwards and the trick was to snatch Sevastapol and leave Russia with no access to the Black Sea. You don't like how it all worked out because it didn't go the way you wanted. Checkmated and now crying about being outfoxed.

SO....the best you can do is bitch about annexations this and invasions that. It's like a big goon in the ring puffing up his chest and then getting uppercut by the underdog, knocked out and then going screaming to the judges because "that's not how things were supposed to happen."

:pac:

Well, do you see a resistance movement in Crimea? You talk about people being run out. Where are they? Do you see Ukrainians funneling arms and money to these anti-Moscow forces? I don't. Where are the riots, the demonstrations against Russian "occupation"? Again, do you see them? I don't and I don't hear anyone from the Crimea that I know saying anything about it either.

They are no longer there. They were “run out” to Ukraine. They have no one to funnel arms to. Is that really confusing to you?

• Advertisement

Do you see a resistance movement in Crimea to Russian "occupation"?

I don't. Would you like to know why? Because there isn't one. The only people who think that Crimea is annexed and occupied against their will by Russia is YOU.

Russia broke international treaties and used their military to annex Crimea. A portion of the Crimean population supported this, a portion didn't, either way they had no choice.

Crimea is Russian and always has been. You say they had no choice in being returned to Russia from rule in Kiev. You don't know what you're talking about. You're just making it up as you go along.

False, I strongly suggest familiarising yourself with the history of Crimea. Likewise, nationalist Russians also view that sovereign Ukraine is also a part of Russia, and we see what's happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Have some dignity, man.

lol

Russia broke international treaties and used their military to annex Crimea. A portion of the Crimean population supported this, a portion didn't, either way they had no choice.

False, I strongly suggest familiarising yourself with the history of Crimea. Likewise, nationalist Russians also view that sovereign Ukraine is also a part of Russia, and we see what's happening there.

What international treaties?

Crimea was given away under Khurschev without a vote and against the wishes of the Crimeans.

With the dissolution of the Soviet Union the Crimea requested, in fact begged, to be returned to Russia. This is not a secret. Crimea was part of Russia for 200 years. It was gifted to Ukraine for 50 years without a vote of the citizens. And when the Crimeans finally were returned to Russia you call it "an invasion".

Check out the referenda in the 1990s in Crimea whereby they wanted to be part of Russia again. This is a people BEGGING to not be a Ukrainian province but to return to Russia. And you call it an "invasion".

Do you see any resistance to Russian "illegal" occupation of a territory that has been Russian for centuries and whose people insisted, no demanded, no begged, to become part or their country again?

I see resistance to foreign occupation all over the world and have seen it. Northern Ireland, Vietnam, Libya, Algeria, Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Honduras, El Salvador, Czechoslovakia,, The Netherlands, Poland, Norway, Greece, Cyprus, Laos.....at infinitum.

In all these countries there has been resistance to foreign invasion and occupation.

Not a rock, bottle or petrolbomb in Crimea against Russian occupation. not even a bit of graffiti. Not a single movement beseeching the international community to come and and help and save them from hell.

In 1991 Crimea voted by 92% to break from Ukraine. You call this an invasion?

NATO didn't snatch Sevastapol under the cover of a collapsed Ukraine sh1thouse government. It didn't go according to plan and now it's just called "not cricket" and "oh so unfair" by the terrible reds.

Terry Norman, a paid government operative was assisted by police to help facilitate the Kent State killings.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I've never come across a conspiracy theory that I thought could actually be true. It seems that when you delve into one, it doesn't take long to see if it usually based on questionable logic.

Admittedly, I've never delved into any conspiracy with great detail, as I found it difficult to decipher the facts from some wack jobs take on things.

Are they are that actually hold-up if you take a closer look?

Terry Norman, a paid FBI informant, was sent in and protected by Ohio police and opened fire bringing on the Kent State Massacre.

What international treaties?

1991 Belavezha Accords
    1975 Helsinki Accords
    1994 Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances
    1997 Treaty on friendship, cooperation and partnership between the Russian Federation and Ukraine

The Russians sent in military units posing as "local militia", took over key facilities and within 3 weeks held a "referendum". You can argue all you want about whether or not the Crimeans wanted to join Russia, but they had no choice whatsoever. It was annexed.

And what's the conspiracy angle?

1991 Belavezha Accords
    1975 Helsinki Accords
    1997 Treaty on friendship, cooperation and partnership between the Russian Federation and Ukraine

The Russians sent in military units posing as "local militia", took over key facilities and within 3 weeks held a "referendum". You can argue all you want about whether or not the Crimeans wanted to join Russia, but they had no choice whatsoever. It was annexed.

And what's the conspiracy angle?

1991 Belavezha Accords
    A tripartite farce that had no international recognition.

1975 Helsinki Accords
    Another handshake and nod with ZERO legal binding nor international recognition. Even if it did have some kind of judicial weight it dates back to 1975. Article 3 of the Irish Constitution dates back further yet was scrapped in 1998. During the interim period when British Security forces were found to have crossed the border into places like Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, etc either by mistaken logistics, stupidity or for other more nefarious reasons, was the British Government in breach of the Geneva Protocols?

Another farce. What obligation did Russia have to resist the request for people of Ukraine to be returned to their homeland that was illegally given away. I'll give you a tiny hint since you are so concerned about not only the rule of international LAW but also territorial respect, recognition and integrity. If you are so up-in-arms about Russia reclaiming the Crimean Peninsula after a referendum then you must be equally up-in-arms about Israel annexing the West Bank and what with scores of UN sanctions against them then you might concur on those grounds regarding International Law and various treaties. Or is that again an exercise in "whataboutery"?

Again you make a schoolboy HOWLER in citing this memo of understanding. It was an agreement to respect the borders of one another's countries. Except, what seems lost on you and your head is going around in a loop because you can't accept it. Russia didn't violate or even invade Ukraine. The Crimea voted to secede. And return after 50 years of Kiev governance to Russia where she was for centuries a part.

So please tell me you have someting better than these useless "facts" and "violations".

Russia didn't violate or even invade Ukraine.

Russia indirectly invaded the Eastern part of Ukraine by heavily supporting an "uprising" in Donetsk. It's where many Russian soldiers went on "holiday" that year.

If you are referring to Crimea, it was annexed by Russia, which is why most countries don't recognise Crimea as Russian territory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Crimea

Again, is there a conspiracy angle to any of this?

Coronavirus introduced in china to "ease" its pension burden as the gemerations who were limited to 1 child getting old now....

but they lost control of it and fcuked up

• Advertisement

Really?

So how many Crimeans wanted to secede from Ukraine and return to Russia? Was it a majority?
    Is that not the definition of democracy or is it just pluralism or mob rule or some other epithet?

And I'm not tabling any conspiracy here. Rather I'm trying to counter one, i.e. that you are trying to sell the inane idea that Russia invaded and gobbled up Crimea the same way that Adolf just decided that the Sudetenland or any other place he wanted was for Deutschland.

Again, I'm sure the Godwin's Law crew will chime in, but that's their bag.

DJ comes up with these meaningless "treaties" about border integrity and the respect under law for boundaries. Must be having apoplexy over the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars then if that's so sacrosanct. A bunch of mythical "little green men" in Crimea is a "cause celebre" for rallying yet a NATO army wrecking the richest country in Africa is grand, all under the moronic pretense that the leader gives his men Viagra to rape people.

Bashar Assad is supposed to be gassing his people. Even though US Special Forces are robbing the oil from the North East of the country and shipping it to Malta.

The Saudis chop up a guy in Turkey under the connivance of one of their despicable princes/kings to shut him the fcuk up yet you weep for Navalny who I would think is getting a better deal.

So, there has not been any invasion of Ukraine. There are no Russian bombers about to land in Shannon. Red October is not off the coast of Copenhagen or Aberdeen or Killybegs about to force us all to eat borscht, though not a bad soup.

Russian invasion.....COP ON!

Advertisement