Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Y Chromosome Test

• 27-03-2021 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

Hi all. New to boards. Is the Y chromosome test worth doing to establish a link on the paternal side with a more famous line of the family!! Rumours of relationship but I couldn't find anything through ancestry and heritage dna, or genaealogy records. The nearest I got was a 1773 ad in Finns Leinster Journal where my ancestor appears to be a brother of one of the more famous line.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

It’s worth trying but it’s an expensive test. You will need to order Big Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s worth trying but it’s an expensive test. You will need to order Big Y.

How expensive? Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have a look at familytreedna.com for pricing, but they do offer discounts around holidays.

This kind of test won't give you a straight answer. Even if your haplogroups don't match, you still could have a connection that was influenced by a non paternal event at some point.

I recommend reading extensively and watching some talks before you commit money to this. Genetic genealogy Ireland on YouTube is a good starting point

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Have a look at familytreedna.com for pricing, but they do offer discounts around holidays.

This kind of test won't give you a straight answer. Even if your haplogroups don't match, you still could have a connection that was influenced by a non paternal event at some point.

I recommend reading extensively and watching some talks before you commit money to this. Genetic genealogy Ireland on YouTube is a good starting point

Thank you!

pinkypinky wrote: »

Just looked it up $119 isn't too bad. Do ancestry and myheritage offer the test?

I'll look at that youtube vid. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Just looked it up $119 isn't too bad. Do ancestry and myheritage offer the test?

I'll look at that youtube vid. Thanks.

That is not the price of a 'Big Y' test, it's usually at least $400. Ancestry only test autosomal DNA, not Y. Nor would a Y test result be conclusive for a link about 10 generations ago, provided you could find a direct descendent of the 'famous' line.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    That is not the price of a 'Big Y' test, it's usually at least $400. Ancestry only test autosomal DNA, not Y. Nor would a Y test result be conclusive for a link about 10 generations ago, provided you could find a direct descendent of the 'famous' line.

Thanks. We're talking 9 generations or so. A few links were coming up on the 5-8th cousin links on ancestry.

I'm just waiting to do a bit of work in the Registry of Deeds before going the Y chromosome route. I've been trying to find someone on that other family line who has taken the Y chromosome test, but no luck yet.

The line are James Fintan Lalor, land reformer, brother Peter of the Eureka Stockade in Australia, his father MP Pat Lalor. Cousin General Joseph O'Lalor, who ended up fighting with Wellington v the French in Spain. Sr. Alice Lalor, set up an order in the US, another was a leading surgeon. Links would be early to mid 1700s. I'd be curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Mick Tator wrote: »

From a previous discussion I gained the impression that Big Y (being quoted at $449) was only for experts and would not give more information than Y-111 (being quoted at $249).

Big Y does provide more (a lot) information.. it provides you with a final SNP (that does change if there is new additions), Y111 tests STR's which are not the same as SNP's. STR's can back mutate which can provide false results, indicating that you match with a particular group, in reality you do not. SNPS do not change for hundreds of years. At Y111 there can be people who appear to match you but are actually 1000-2000 years out. For ex, in my Y111 I have a lot of McClean matches (50+). However, after purchasing the Big Y test, I discovered that I am not part of the same branch of the R1B tree as the group.

Matches, see A1067:
    0OZqv1w.png

SNP map showing that our respective branches separated over 2,000 years ago:
    VeRrE1I.png

So, Y111 can be quite inaccurate, actually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think the takeaway from this is - it won't give you a definitive answer, so think carefully about spending this level of money.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks. We're talking 9 generations or so. A few links were coming up on the 5-8th cousin links on ancestry.

I'm just waiting to do a bit of work in the Registry of Deeds before going the Y chromosome route. I've been trying to find someone on that other family line who has taken the Y chromosome test, but no luck yet.

The line are James Fintan Lalor, land reformer, brother Peter of the Eureka Stockade in Australia, his father MP Pat Lalor. Cousin General Joseph O'Lalor, who ended up fighting with Wellington v the French in Spain. Sr. Alice Lalor, set up an order in the US, another was a leading surgeon. Links would be early to mid 1700s. I'd be curious.

That will show up in the Big Y test if you have the same SNP or a SNP a generation back. STR tests such as Y111 could indicate a close match but in reality this is not the case due to back mutations. If you really want to determine if you are related to this branch I suggest that you order the Big Y test. There is a sale on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Thanks. We're talking 9 generations or so. A few links were coming up on the 5-8th cousin links on ancestry............... Links would be early to mid 1700s. I'd be curious.
    Ancestry does Autosomal tests (DNA from both parents) only, so at the level of nine generations you have 512 ancestors (presupposing there were no cousin marriages). Your Ancestry matches could be from any descendants of that mix so you cannot infer a Lalor link. Also I doubt that a BigY would be sufficiently accurate that far back.

Advertisement