Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is the painter?

Options
  • 24-12-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my mother has some lovely art belonging to some great artists including kernoff, George Gillespie, Alexander Williams, Mark oneill and a good few others. Most art inherited from her parents.

She has two pieces of art bought back in the 60's, possibly earlier, from her grand aunt for a very pretty sum (500 pounds i believe). They were purchased in a reputable place in Dublin where the art dealer was very sure these were iconic and very important pieces. This is what my mom has said.

The art looks to be of Ross Castle in kerry and the lakes of killarney. They are not signed anywhere and were assessed a good few years ago as being quality piece but no signature.

So wondering how I would go about tracing the artist?

Thank you in advance,
    Boggy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Forgot to attach the art I am curious about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Those pics I attached are not great. Will do a higher quality one in the mornin with natural light. They are very detailed and definitely done by a deft hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corkonian60

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Forgot to attach the art I am curious about

Phone Crawford Art Gallery (if you're near Cork). The director, Mary McCarthy might be able to help you find an authority on Irish artists. The style looks like 18th century.
    If you're near Dublin, phone the National Gallery or Trinity College.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Maybe Christie's of London could and would help?
    I have an Antique Silver Oriental Cigarette Box, contacted Chester Beattie Library in Dublin about origins. They adviced to get in touch with the London Art Auctioneers..

Advertisement