Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SEC's late change to 2020 History/Geography LC practical

• 09-12-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Did anybody else get the SEC's letter last Friday, 6 December 2019 saying the format for the practical for this forthcoming LC exam in both subjects will change with immediate effect? All my students, and I suspect the students of many other teachers, have spent a large amount of time handwriting their booklets and now, at this very late stage, they are expected to rewrite the entire thing in a new format (with new space restrictions which require more editing?).

I've no issue with their bringing this change in for students sitting their LC in 2021 but telling this year's students they must rewrite everything smacks of chaotic organisation on the part of the SEC. It's essentially punishing the organised students because the SEC is disorganised, and that's wrong. When the SEC says 'There is no significant change for candidates.' it's not exactly being honest: many, many students will now have to rewrite their entire projects. How can the SEC defend this late change?

All I can find about it online is here:

December 6, 2019

For the attention of Teachers, Students and Parent/Guardians in Second level Schools

Leaving Certificate History & Geography 2020

The purpose of this notice is to outline the following:
    (a) Roll out of Online Marking in the subject of Leaving Certificate History & Geography for 2020 and beyond.
    (b) Changes to the front cover of the Leaving Certificate History & Geography Coursework Booklets 2020
    (c) Information for Candidates and their Parents/Guardians.

Roll out of Online Marking in the subject of Leaving Certificate History & Geography for 2020 and beyond
    .... In the case of Leaving Certificate History & Geography, the written paper and the coursework booklet will both be marked online in 2020.

Changes to the front cover of the Leaving Certificate History & Geography Coursework Booklets
    As you will be aware, History and Geography Coursework Booklets for the 2020 Leaving Certificate candidature will be issuing within the coming days. The cover of the 2020 Coursework Booklets will be different to the 2019 Coursework Booklets (see below).

One notable change will be the presence of barcodes and L shaped marker marks both on the front cover and all other pages (not present above). These are tools used to facilitate the scanning of the Coursework Booklets in preparation for online marking.

Another change will be that candidates will be required to provide their Day and Month of Birth on the front cover along with their examination number, Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) and School Roll Number. The format of the Day and Month of Birth will be DD MM or LL MM as below. This is to allow the SEC carry out further reconciliation checks to ensure that candidates have submitted their correct examination number.

Information for Candidates and their Parents/Guardians
    There is no significant change for candidates. They will sit their examinations in the normal way. When the Written Paper and Coursework Booklets are returned to SEC, they will be scanned and will become electronic scripts. The paper versions will be retained. The scanned images of the candidates’ Written Paper/Coursework Booklet will then be marked by examiners using specially designed software. Candidates sitting any of the examinations in subjects which will be marked online should be made aware of the following in advance of the examinations.

Candidates should write their answers in black or blue pen. Gel pens should not be used.
    Pencil may be used for completing diagrams and graphs.
    Candidates should not use correction fluid (i.e. tippex) on examination material. Where a candidate makes an error, they should cross out the error, and continue with the correction on a new line. This is the case for all subjects, as there is a possibility that marks can still be awarded if content in the perceived error merit credit.
    Candidates should complete their answers using the spaces provided as this will ensure that all of their answers are captured in the scanning process. Anything written outside of these areas or in the margins of Coursework may not be seen by the examiner.

....Please bring this email to the attention of teachers and particularly to the attention of candidates and parents/guardians. All of the information detailed above can also be found on www.examinations.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Am I right in saying that they haven't got the booklets yet?

As you will be aware, History and Geography Coursework Booklets for the 2020 Leaving Certificate candidature will be issuing within the coming days. The cover of the 2020 Coursework Booklets will be different to the 2019 Coursework Booklets (see below).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I won't comment on the history booklet, but looking at the Geography one I can't see a problem for the students who have paid attention to the word counts allocated in each section. There should be more than enough room to write it up.

Advertisement