Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 goals

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

coach22 wrote: »
    Can you climb up boneshaker or is it just downhill?

You can but not recommended, partly because it's not an easy climb unless you're a strong technical climber, but the chances of meeting someone coming downhill at speed is high, a lot of lads session this trail so will be coming down fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Are you talking about the 'official' Boneshaker path, the long standing one that continues right up to the aerials, or is there one adjacent to that? If it's the same you'll also get lots of walkers and runners on it, and if someone coming downhill at speed is on the same track, it's a bit reckless. Having said that, in all my years and miles of using the Boneshaker I've never met a cyclist coming down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

rizzodun wrote: »
    Sounds like a good trail to try on a Boards MTB meet.

A meet this year could be a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Peter T wrote: »
    A meet this year could be a good idea

Well, I'll be back visiting from the UK near end of February and back in June for Metallica (with bikes in tow of course) if anyone decides to pick dates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Lemming wrote: »
    Well, I'll be back visiting from the UK near end of February and back in June for Metallica (with bikes in tow of course) if anyone decides to pick dates ;)

It's not a bad idea to help spur on the forum.
    If organised if could be posted on the main cycling forum to get some of the part time mtb'rs onboard too.

I'm sure one of ye would be up for organising it...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Noticed yesterday the amount of walkers going down the boneshaker - it's not safe to cycle down. With Ticknock so busy these days it's become a popular walking trail. Best left for early morning / night spins I think.

Also found another video of someone showing how the dreamtrack should be done - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H23VSU-ACt8. I wish I could ride it like this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Gerry

Boneshaker into dreamtrack is a great run. Mmm dreamtrack. Haven't been down it in a long time.. the boards MTB meet should include it and finish at the blue light :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

My goals for 2019:-

Do the entire Gravity series - and podium at least once
    Do the entire IDMS series - and podium at least once
    Work on my technical skills and bike confidence
    Get off my brakes!
    Do the river gap at GAP

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

My goals for 2019 (bearing in mind I only started MTB in Sept 2018)

Learn how to do a wheelie
    Learn how to do a bunnyhop (no idea how hard these two goals are, but it'd be cool to be able to do them)
    Make time to go to a bikepark, and not get caught up in "too busy" trap.
    Try not to get injured.
    Try to relax a bit more on the bike and not worry so much about getting injured!

Good jib! wrote: »
    My goals for 2019 (bearing in mind I only started MTB in Sept 2018)

Learn how to do a wheelie
    Learn how to do a bunnyhop (no idea how hard these two goals are, but it'd be cool to be able to do them)
    Make time to go to a bikepark, and not get caught up in "too busy" trap.
    Try not to get injured.
    Try to relax a bit more on the bike and not worry so much about getting injured!

Best of luck. One trick for wheelies when beginning is to remember that if you've come up too far are are going off the back of the bike - the back brake will firmly plant your front wheel - it's a useful one to give you a bit of confidence to try them more. Also - try them up slight hills first. I'd say bunnyhops are the easiest - especially if you have a full suss. All you need to practice is a kerb.

Global Mountain Bike have a ton of skills vids on youtube which could be useful - here is there one on wheelies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih05ONF0gc8. Getting out on the bike with the specific goal of practicing these is the way to learn - in your driveway, back garden - where ever you have the space.

Being relaxed on the bike is key so that's a great goal. If I think of any of the bad crashes I've had - I was nervous right before them and therefore tense AF. Have to be loose. If it doesn't feel right - come back to it. When you're nice and relaxed you know it and it feels great to be on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭El Vino

Enter an Enduro race
    learn to jump
    ride 160km off road in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

El Vino wrote: »

160km! That's an enormous spin. 55km is my longest (Cooley Thriller) and it was tough going. Best of luck with it.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    160km! That's an enormous spin. 55km is my longest (Cooley Thriller) and it was tough going. Best of luck with it.

Was thinking same thing. 160KM on the road is a savage spin - can't imagine how you'd do it off road. And the even bigger question is where you could do this in Ireland?

The Wicklow Way from Marley Park to Clonegal is about 132KM and that's 10/11 hours for a pro - not many have done it. I could not do it in a day - tried and got 42KM into it and then bailed somewhere near Roundwood. I totally underestimated how hard it would be.

Let us know how you get on and where you're planning to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Personal best so far was 44km on the Nire Valley Drop - hats off to you if you can manage 160km in a day!

Surely that's a typo! Even 160km off road in a long weekend would be impressive.

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    Surely that's a typo! Even 160km off road in a long weekend would be impressive.

I'll feel a lot better if it was meant to be 16KM..

OP - put me out of my misery - did you really mean 160KM????

steamsey wrote: »
    I'll feel a lot better if it was meant to be 16KM..

OP - put me out of my misery - did you really mean 160KM????

So not a typo and not trying to brag, also not in Ireland. I know it will be bloody hard. I've entered the event below as riding the South Downs Way has been a goal of mine for about 10 years. I have had a couple of aborted attempts solo as there are two many easy bail out options so I entered the event below. Last few years I've done a lot of road riding so base fitness is good. I did the same Charity's London to Brighton offroad in September and this was pretty easy as about 40km was on a Greenway, SDW is proper off road.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/events/bike-rides/south-downs-way-off-road-bike-ride

So not a typo and not trying to brag, also not in Ireland. I know it will be bloody hard. I've entered the event below as riding the South Downs Way has been a goal of mine for about 10 years. I have had a couple of aborted attempts solo as there are two many easy bail out options so I entered the event below. Last few years I've done a lot of road riding so base fitness is good. I did the same Charity's London to Brighton offroad in September and this was pretty easy as about 40km was on a Greenway, SDW is proper off road.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/events/bike-rides/south-downs-way-off-road-bike-ride

Fair play. Let us know how you get on.

You'd probably love the Tour de Timor. My brother did it last year. 450km with 10,000 metres vertical ascending over 5 days. Some dirt roads and some "proper" mountain biking.

Take a peak at the Wales360; new event/organiser that I met at the UK cycle show last year.

6 days (teams I think), point to point, 550km through North & Mid Wales taking in some notable riding locations like Cody-y-Brenin, Llangdella, Bets-y-coed, and Machynlleth.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Peter T wrote: »
    Same as the rest of ye, get fitter and bring up the skill level, improving my jumping being the main skill focus so plan on making a few trips to bike park to dial things in. Blitz Ballyhoura is definitely on the cards and might squeeze in one or two extra

So following some reading I did in the normal cycling forum with people looking back at the previous year how did the 2019 goals go ?

For me the fitness improved very well, the nire valley was a nice benchmark for myself and i was very happy with my performance on the day. My skills came along also but jumping not so much given bpi's closure and the demolition of the jumps down in tracton so still improvement needed there. Did the blitz ballyhoura also so another thing ticked off the list. Looking forward to more biking this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

prunudo wrote: »
    Happy New Year mtb forum, hope you all had a good Christmas holidays. Whats the goals for the year, anybody have any mad trips or adventurers planned?

Mine are just to ride more, increase the fitness, improve the skill level and possibly enter a couple of races. A new or second bike would be nice too but doubtful.

2019 review
    Ride more = yes
    Increase fitness = debatable
    Improve skill level = yes but not as much as I had hoped
    Enter races = yes (1 blitz and 2 enduros)
    New bike = still dreaming.

2020 aspirations
    Similar to 2019 and I'd be happy. Going to focus on improving jumping, body positioning etc on the bike. Also will try and do more off bike exercises to strengthen core.
    But mostly I want to try and enjoy the riding more rather than getting obsessed with starva times.

What I wrote for 2019:
    Lemming wrote: »
    Much like yours jvan, just get out and ride more, increase the fitness & skill levels with an eye on not coming last in what will be my first 'full' enduro race in Scotland in September (PMBA Enduro round #5). Tempted to enter a few other races, but that's the only one committed to for now. Also keep threatening to bring the missus to Fort William which never happened in 2018.

What I did from the above list:
    • Ride More: fail
    • Increase fitness, check
    • Participate in Enduro race, check
    • Survive Fort William, check.

Rode less perversely enough, but increased the fitness due to weekly torture sessions with a physio/trainer at the gym; essentially circuits with bike for pre-torture warm-up and after for cardio work on top of the torture because 'why not' since I will already have picked a spot on the wall some 30 minutes prior and pretended I was already dead. Everything from battle ropes, push-ups, planks, burpies, weights, kettle bells, rope-pull, extension rows (arm or leg), etc.

Rode my first 'full' enduro (i.e. not some mini mash-up) in Scotland. Didn't come last, but I still got utterly smoked by the category leader with a good few minutes difference. Awesome weekend/race-day and for some of it I was pushed well and truly outside my comfort zone technically, not just on account of a matter of speed.

Also visited Fort William, and rode the World Cup track and "Top Chief" (black trail, also at top of the Gondola). In summary, the WC track has more 'steep' in it than a steeple and the drops are neither trivial nor inconsequential if you get them wrong. The track is also rough as fvck, and that's just the "smooth" bits (even Greg Minnaar agreed with that sentiment whilst chatting with him a month later). Top-Chief is the trail with all the board-walk off the side of the mountain for those who have seen you-tube videos. Much more ride-able than the WC track, but the board-walk sections can be a bit disconcerting to ride at times.

What I'm aiming to do for 2020:
    • Ride more :pac:
    • Improve the skill levels, particularly in the air.
    • Visit the Dirt Factory in Manchester at least once (following on from previous point).
    • Do a DH race: aiming to do a round of the GAP spring DH league since I'll be back in Ireland at the time.
    • Do two enduro races: Signed up for PMBA #5 in Scotland, deciding upon which other round to do since #1 (Gisburn) is all sold out.
    • Improve upon my previous enduro race result in Scotland, both time-wise and position finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Put van back on road for MTB trips.
    Enter & complete La Tramun near Girona in October.
    Destroy trails & haul ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

saccades wrote: »
    Bought a new bike with an emphasis on trail rather than xco, want to have a bit more fun to get me out more. Saying that, it's a steamroller of a unit with a dinner plate cassette so hopefully not too much slower.

Goals... Do a 160km spin (100 miles), if the weather holds it will be this year.

Epic club league (if it starts again).

Get down towards 90kg, have a clear plan this time and it was working until Xmas.

Do more of the old school xc spins I did 10-15 years ago whilst I can still remember them.

Oh, and stay healthy.

Managed the 160km spin.
    Ace racing in the club league.
    Still too heavy.
    Got lost a lot of times ;)
    Not a single days illness.

Pretty good year really.

Now aiming for 180km spin with everything else the same. Oh and learning to jump.

Right - tore my hip flexor playing 5 as side 6 weeks before I was supposed to do the South Downs Way so had to defer my place as even though cycling wasn't too bad I couldn't walk properly and there is at least one climb that most people walk. Definitely on for it this year though and have given up football and have a equally hard road ride in Alps a few weeks later so will be in reasonable shape.
    Got much better at jumping after a couple of Bikepark Wales and GAP visits, have some coaching this weekend so hopefully will improve more.
    Did one Enduro - not sure it's for me, too old
    2/3 aint bad I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭Gerry

Not a bad year at all.
    New trail/enduro bike - check.
    Improve skills - glad to say this is a check. Worked on cornering, mostly confidence to lean the bike. Berms way improved. Generally trying to brake less and pedal less. Jumps - not quite gotten to the widowmaker gap but have focused on building this up, getting the technique right. Can clear quite a few smaller tabletops and doubles now. More to do. Can wheelie now and small manuals.. more work needed.
    Fitness.. hard to say. Marginally better overall. Power certainly better. Blitz will tell all, it's a good benchmark.
    Hoping I can do better race results this year in general.

Advertisement