Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leixlip-Dublin commute

Options
  • 10-08-2018 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to move to Leixlip in a few months, but continue commuting by bike.

Just wondering if anyone else here has the same/similar commute, and how they find it?

In terms of route, the broad choice seems to be N4 vs Strawberry Beds. N4 has its own choice between Chapelizod/Conyngham Road or bypass/St John's Road West. Getting to Strawberry Beds could mean going through St Catherine's Park or around by Confey, or a bit of the N4.

Do bus drivers give much space on the N4? Are commuting drivers close-passing speedy bastards on the Strawberry Beds? Anyone do different routes for in/out?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

buffalo wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone else here has the same/similar commute, and how they find it?

In terms of route, the broad choice seems to be N4 vs Strawberry Beds. N4 has its own choice between Chapelizod/Conyngham Road or bypass/St John's Road West. Getting to Strawberry Beds could mean going through St Catherine's Park or around by Confey, or a bit of the N4.

Do bus drivers give much space on the N4? Are commuting drivers close-passing speedy bastards on the Strawberry Beds? Anyone do different routes for in/out?

Thanks in advance!

The N4 is fine, noisy but fine. There is a dedicated bus lane the entire way in and generally I would only have maybe 5-6 buses pass me on that section. I have never had an issue with bus drivers, for the most part (with the exception of a few bottle necks) the traffic on the N4 moves freely, so buses can move out into the other lanes to pass.

The only annoying issue with the N4 is the M50. On the way into town you can use the cycle path and separate bridge that brings you in to Palmerstown village. On the way out you could use this but it is awkward. Staying on the N4 outbound over the M50 IMO is not a wise choice. Even driving that section is an adventure at times with traffic trying to get on to the M50 jumping lanes, traffic coming off the M50 merging in etc..

Strawberry beds I have done a few times, if trying to extend my commute. In my mind I always thought it would be a rat race but it seems to get very little commuter traffic. The section of speed bumps every 100m is enough to slow drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

I take N4 to Hermitage and then use the pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the M50.
    The stress of merging lanes overbthe M50 at rushhours is not worth it IMO.
    From Palmerstown onto Chapo and either in Conyngham Rd or else a lap of Park.

On way home do thisnin reverse or often the Strawberry Beds. Infind car traffic on the Beds to be mostly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Royal Canal to Ashtown and then the Phoenix Park? Slower but nicer with a small detour required for the Deep Sinking (though it is rideable with care)...

Royal doesnt go to Ashtown, maybe you mean Clonsilla?
    From Leixlip Louisa Bridge to Castleknock/Blanchardstown is only doable on a bike with fatter tyres and perhaps CX/MTB tyres when its wet.
    Its a nice spin but hardly a commuting solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

guanciale wrote: »
    Royal doesnt go to Ashtown, maybe you mean Clonsilla?
    From Leixlip Louisa Bridge to Castleknock/Blanchardstown is only doable on a bike with fatter tyres and perhaps CX/MTB tyres when its wet.
    Its a nice spin but hardly a commuting solution.

The Royal does indeed go to Ashtown, as that's where I live now and it's great from there into town. :)

I wouldn't be so keen on the Deep Sinking in the mud and dark of winter, but could be a nice diversion in summer alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

It probably depends on which side of Leixlip you're at and where you're going? I used to live near Confey and commute into the G. Canal Dock area. I always took the Porterstown road in to Farmleigh and down through the Phoenix Park. It might be a bit longer for you but one of the advantages is it skips the ramps and steeper climbs along the strawberry beds and just gives you a drag through the Park and the sandhole at Castleknock College.
    Louisa Bridge to Confey is doable with a road bike on the canal but from there to Clonsilla you'd need something a bit more cross-ish. **Edit** what will you be riding just to give us an idea of potential routes?
    Once or twice I came out the Grand Canal to Adamstown just to try something different.

It probably depends on which side of Leixlip you're at and where you're going?

I'm at the western end of Leixlip (Easton), heading for IFSC.
    Louisa Bridge to Confey is doable with a road bike on the canal but from there to Clonsilla you'd need something a bit more cross-ish. **Edit** what will you be riding just to give us an idea of potential routes?

I'm on a steel road bike, but I don't mind compacted earth surfaces. They'd be slower going though, and time saved on a daily commute is valuable to me.

I want to gather a few ideas, then trial them over the next few weekends to see how I get on.

The Royal does indeed go to Ashtown, as that's where I live now and it's great from there into town. :)

I wouldn't be so keen on the Deep Sinking in the mud and dark of winter, but could be a nice diversion in summer alright.

Confused Ashtown with Adamstown - mybad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

time saved on a daily commute is valuable to me.

Then you'll probably be looking at the N4 - I'm assuming Louisa Bridge to Custom House Quay as a proxy and it's the shortest route.
    As I see it you have 3 options.
    1. N4 all the way. Shortest route but a bit hilly including drop in and out of Leixlip and some draggy stuff in by Chapelizod - heaviest traffic route.
    2. Canal to Confey and then road towards Westmanstown before dropping down the hill to the Stawberry beds. Less than 1km longer and should be less traffic although Strawberry beds can be a bit busy. Also have ramps and hills on that route that can slow you up a bit.
    3. Canal to Confey and then head in by Luttrellstown Castle and Farmleigh. An extra 1.5 km to the N4 route but the quietest roads and the fewest hills.

I'd do them all a few times and see which one you prefer.

As I see it you have 3 options.

I'd do them all a few times and see which one you prefer.

Cheers dude, I'd never have thought of diverting through the Park as an option (though cdaly_ did mention it!), but it could be a realistic option for a more pleasant route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

I commute from (west) Celbridge through Leixlip (Green Lane (or down to Intel and along station road) then main street) up onto N4 until exit 2 (Liffey Valley). Turn off there down towards Kings Hospital then up onto the cycle track and over the ped / cyclist M50 bridge to the old Lucan road down into chapelizod then along Chapelizod road to Conyngham road and along the quays.

More or less the reverse route home. The route is pretty flat and takes me less than an hour each way (not pushing it - I'm a fat auld fella). There is little interaction with motorists for most of it, just keep an eye out at the slip roads on the N4.

I'm not a huge fan of the Strawberry beds, particularly during the winter months, I find that road a bit claustrophobic.

As a helpful bonus the cycle paths along the N4 and the Chapelizod road(both directions) double up as a great training route if you are planning to race on Pave at any stage.

See you on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I cycle Celbridge to City Centre 4-5 days a week return. Deffo would recommend it as the bus or car is soul destroying when the schools start back!

Below is the route I take, I do it after trying several options and settled on this as the best mix between time and safety.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/2192972680

I used to use the Canal on the way in but since they started works where I joined it, the diversion just took too long.

Can count on 1 hand the number of issues with bus drivers or cars since doing it over 1 year. Most stem from both of them beeping if I'm not on the cycle path (I use cycle path mostly but some stretches are shocking so I use the road instead.).
    The next biggest thing on this route to watch is cars cutting/veering into the cycle lane as they look to turn left up ahead or undertake a car turning right (Mainly around the Kilmainham Gaol/IMMA stretch) - I find you generally get a feel a 6th sense for what a car is going to do in terms of this sort of stuff but I always err on side of caution.

Takes me on average 1 hour in and anywhere between 1hr - 1hr 10min back (slightly uphill and normally into the wind on the way home!).

I don't cycle outside of the commute so not looking to break any Tour de France records. Also, I stop at all the reds and don't take risks so I'm sure you could do it quicker depending on your level of fitness and general behaviour when you cycle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I sometimes cycle out those general directions from where I work in the IFSC…

Homeward bound, I cross the Luas lines and go out onto Amiens Street and head across the bridge and swing around George’s Quay and on down the Quays.
    Keep right at Heuston Station and head for Phoenix Park..

I then either:

Go into Park and use cycle lane until last roundabout before Castleknock Gate; then keep left and either take first right to exit at White’s Gate or keep ahead straight for exit at next right at Knockmaroon Gate.

Or from Quays, cycle down Conygham Road, across Island bridge and go into park at small gate (Chapelizod Gate I think its called) and some climbing up to Knockmaroon Gate or keep going straight a little further onto right turn for White’s Gate exit (as already mentioned in first option).

Knockmaroon Gate will bring you down the Strawberry beds with some speed ramps which also slows cars down which is good. I never find it too bad here car wise....
    White’s gate will bring you out around by the College and eventually onto and out by Castleknock GAA and Hotel on the Luttrellstown Road and then on for Westmanstown direction…

If I am feeling particularly energetic I will sometime take a sharp right off Strawberry Beds and go up either Rugged Lane or Somerton Lane to bring me up onto Luttrellstown Road..Testing though:) And surface is a bit testing on Rugged Lane too!

I generally turn right at the bad bend before Westmanstown and go across the rail tracks and thru Barberstown Lane to bring me onto Barnhill Road..

You have lots of options from there really..Nice spin on a summer evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

use the N4 route..
    been commuting 2-3 days a week for the last 4 yrs from near Louisa bridge to city centre
    down the hill past the Garda station, thru the village up by the Springfield join the N4, using the bus lane to Liffey Valley , then use the footbridge by Kings hospital onto old Galway road back out at the rear of the Apple petrol station, N4/Chapo bypass to hueston and the quays(be careful!)
    used to go down into Chapo and then Coyngham rd (more lights and was asked:rolleyes: by the Gardai to use the cycle path on a few occasions, lots of debris esp in winter,
    l wouldn't go around by Luttlestown/Porterstown , narrow and busy (used to do a school run that way)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1590436673

on the way out i do use Congyham rd and use the bike path on the Northern side of the N4 all the way to the Pitch & putt before the Springfield

https://www.strava.com/activities/1572050305

i use a hardtail MTB(mainly) for the commute with 35c tyres, only 1 puncture i can remember

have and do use the full canal route, Dorsett st to Louisa bridge in summer occassionally,its a great route on a fine evening(deep sinking apart), wouldn't consider it at all in winter or bad spring /autumn weather

safe cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Could try the Grand Canal via Lucan. I've taken a few Sat/Sun morning spins in along it and although you've to contend with a few gates and crossing the road at Clondalkin, Kylemore Rd and at Blackhorse Inn, I consider it a straightforward ride. Downhill in the morning, not so in the evening :)
    Lucan to Portobello segment is doable in under 30 mins (Strava).
    12th Lock bridge upgrade at Lucan Sarsfields just means a short detour along Haydens Lane to the red footbridge.

Grand Canal option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's the Deep Sinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I also cycle from Easton area to town on my commute , I go in the N4 all the way , including the chapalizod bypass , the only dodgy part on the way in is crossing over the M50 as you’re moving into fast moving traffic , you could go over the footbridge , but I tend not to as I’m generally pushed for time .
    On the return commute it’s N4 all the way home too , Its much safer on the way home as there is no crossing lanes to get over the M50 , although I tend to stay out in the traffic lane when crossing the M50 as there is always glass and debris washed onto the side of the road that has caused me a few punctures .

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

I cycle maynooth to Harcourt at 2/3 times a week. I've tried a few different routes recently as I found I was getting a lot of hassle by taking the bus lane on the n4. I tried the grand canal , I'll try it again but I have to say it's mind numbing. For eastbound I've now resorted to n4 but using most of the cycle lanes - though they are a bit of a disgrace. For westbound I can't recommend the n4, it is ok once you get past the Liffey valley overpass but too much stress before that at each turnoff. Ive changed up and go strawberry beds , phoenix park to skip chapelizod then down past the anglers rest, as others have mentioned it's not so bad because the ramps slow cars a lot. Then after climbing westmanstown hill on past confey, back of intel, carton. Last few times I've taken the canal at the next bridge.. it's fun on a road bike but I think I will leave the canal for an early morning commute on the MTB when the days get a longer.

I've only been cycling two days (1.5?), but the N4's been fine as long as I can keep a decent speed. I think if I was fighting a monster headwind I'd be on the cycle track a lot more.

I left 30mins later today than yesterday, and the difference in traffic is very noticeable. Today with all the extra gridlock, any busses were stuck behind me at the pinch points. It's a pity, as I feel like public transport users are being penalised by my choice to cycle.

The one downside has been the fumes. It wasn't as noticeable early yesterday morning, but today and yesterday evening felt like I was chewing exhaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The one downside has been the fumes. It wasn't as noticeable early yesterday morning, but today and yesterday evening felt like I was chewing exhaust.

Noise and fumes... It is incredibly noisy, the constant drone.

Advertisement