Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

• 01-06-2016 1:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there's not much going on the genealogy world but there's no reason we can't chat.

So this is a first for our board: an off topic chat thread. Please be nice!

So where's everyone gone these days? Are you all on summer holidays?

I'm not but I did just sit outside on freshly cut grass enjoying my lunch and my book (Ready Player One by Ernie Cline - love it!)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Pinky banned for off topic post!:p

I've been footing turf the past few days which has kept me away from my family tree.
    Hot weather for it but there was a welcome breeze today.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Great idea for a thread but IMO it would be best to keep it somehow linked to a geno theme?

I'm been working on a work (non-geno) project, not an easy one, nearly there, missing the good weather, will get it off my desk in the morning, hopefully get out of town before the traffic gets frenetic and then 'enjoy' the w/end gardening "in the vastness of my country estate!" For me gardening is probably equally painful as having to read science fiction (no offence Pinky!)

I sent in a piece to the IGRS a while back for their "80 at 80" project - I had one 'on the stocks' which I adapted and sent off but that has prompted me to think about writing about an event in a collateral branch of my family involving a family rather than an individual. That needs to be done for posterity so it will occupy me for the autumn nights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've also submitted a story to the IGRS 80th archive. I chose my gg grandfather who had a 31 year army career.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I hope he was on active duty and not in the guardhouse!:P:) I hope it will be included - do you know what the response has been like to the call for articles?

Good response but we'd like more. People are generally positive about reading them but less proactive about writing them!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Although it is early yet, the time passes very quickly! Any other Boardsies risen to the IGRS challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I'm too obsessed with dead people to be bothered by holidays! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe I will write about my 'twice baptised, twice married, outlived the husband, went to the US and damn near outlived everyone there too' great great grand-mother.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I feel I should try write something on the two interesting tree entrants (one is not a blood ancestor, but the mother of a stepmother of a direct ancestor) that take up a lot of my time and that I've found a lot on; but I'm not sure I could make it interesting enough. I also need to fill in an RIC ancestors site survey for someone on here for one of them before I do that!
    spurious wrote: »
    Maybe I will write about my 'twice baptised, twice married, outlived the husband, went to the US and damn near outlived everyone there too' great great grand-mother.

If this was a few years later than now, and the potential subject lives a little longer, I have a potential "third wife outlives the first wife by 100 years" coming up, and its not even that scandalous age wise.

Write all of these people up! They sound great.

Some tips: I fleshed out my gg-grandfather's story. I knew he was in the army so I looked at where his regiment went over time and what was happening in those places while he was there. Came away with a more rounded picture of him, and only wish I had a photo to accompany the biography. His army record gives a description which apparently included tattoos, but they fail to say of what!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I feel I should try write something on the two interesting tree entrants............

Keep Condition No.5 in mind .............
    The work should focus upon the life story of ONE Irish-born ancestor or relative, with their provenance clearly stated. Please do not submit extended family histories as these will not be acceptable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Keep Condition No.5 in mind .............
    The work should focus upon the life story of ONE Irish-born ancestor or relative, with their provenance clearly stated. Please do not submit extended family histories as these will not be acceptable.

Separate essays would be required anyway, they never met!

pinkypinky wrote: »
    .......... His army record gives a description which apparently included tattoos, but they fail to say of what!

I have a WW1 record that does give the tattoo description

This guy was pre-WWI - I have also seen war records with tattoos described.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I’ve come across a new (to me) word “Rippier” as the occupation of one of the two people who had stood as sureties for a 17th century marriage in a town on the south coast of England.

Definitions:
    RIPPIER: one who sold fresh water fish at the markets or maker and seller of baskets (Rootschat)
    RIPPIER: A person who carries fish inland to sell. (Oxford)

That made me look up the position of bonds, banns, sureties and licences, here, worth rereading as I’d forgotten much of it.

All of which, as inevitably happens, has raised considerably more questions than provided answers.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Has anyone ordered certs from the GRO recently?

In the past, I used to get e-mailed the certs the day after posting off the request form. This time, I’ve been waiting over a week now and still no e-mail.

From Dick Eastman
    Australia’s Trove Online Database may be Shut Down due to Funding Cuts
    The Library’s funding comes from the Australian government. The National Library is facing $20 million in funding cuts for the next fiscal year. A leaked email message from the National Library’s director-general projected 22 jobs would be axed next financial year, with more in the future, as a result of the funding cuts. That obviously means cuts in services as well. The Trove Online Database reportedly is one of the cuts planned.

A shame that governments sometimes place such small value on heritage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That story is actually from months ago (February) and got regurgitated somehow. Its still under threat; although the election in Australia should given a sufficient kick up the arse to well, whoever gets the government. Labor have possibly beaten the Lib/Nat coalition on numbers but they'll be (vastly) more likely to get support off the small parties and independents

I periodically watch the ‘Ireland Reaching Out’ geno project and it has recently published a list of stories on several Irish people/families that passed through Ellis Island. Nothing amazing discovered among those I’ve read to date, just a common thread in the many stories, usually going to stay with relatives, arriving with little/no money, mostly unskilled, etc. For beginners in US geno some pointers can be found in the texts on where research was done. Free access –here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anyone else taking part in the FamilySearch transcription effort this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

very busy couple of weeks at work - my 'therapy' was a WDYTYA US marathon ... Molly Ringwald, Chris Noth, Lea Michelle, Scott Foley, Ginnifer Goodwin, Brian Cranston..

Brief moan: I sent the Roscommon GRO an email to initiate a search in overseas births and army marriage registers. Got a totally useless reply back saying "here's our standard forms, fill them out"....but the forms are not set up for any searches at all, and has no mention of the particular records I want them to search.

**sigh**

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Brief moan: I sent the Roscommon GRO an email to initiate a search in overseas births and army marriage registers. Got a totally useless reply back saying "here's our standard forms, fill them out"....but the forms are not set up for any searches at all, and has no mention of the particular records I want them to search.

**sigh**
    I wasn't aware that they ever offered a search service - you can't even specify in an order that you don't want the cert unless it has specific information. So you end up ordering certs that may or may not be for the person you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

KildareFan wrote:
    I wasn't aware that they ever offered a search service - you can't even specify in an order that you don't want the cert unless it has specific information. So you end up ordering certs that may or may not be for the person you're looking for.

And we're still all waiting for the online release of the historic state BMDs, even though the legislation is passed and the work done. That momentous day can't come soon enough. To be able to view NI records online has been great I must say.

Kildarefan: they do offer a search service but it's largely superseded by the way the indexes function online now. They charge €6 (including the cert). In the case of the army registers and the overseas bmds, they have to search for you, as they're only in Roscommon.

Mod9maple: we could always start an email campaign to Heather Humphreys asking her to get a move on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote:
    Mod9maple: we could always start an email campaign to Heather Humphreys asking her to get a move on.

Sounds good to me. I'm not much of a writer but if someone composed an email/letter I'd certainly send it on to her. Even a prospective date would be nice!

Let's not forget the usefulness of this thread and allow it drift to the nether regions.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm almost crashed out after a marathon of three days on the trot researching the GRO records. Didn't get to my leaba until 2am this morning. I don't drink, but I can definitely say I feel 'wasted'! But certainly not a waste of time. :D

Yeah, it was 2 am finish for me too. So much work to do now with all the new certs I've found.
    But I've straightened out a few issues where I'd made assumptions based on the indexes alone.
    Being able to check all the entries for a given name where there was uncertainty over date and place of event is just brilliant.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'm just home after a day out and already thinking about what I'll tackle tonight. Such a nerd.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement