Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony de Vit - overrated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cray92 wrote: »
    Overrated big time,he was brutal,responsible for startin off that hard house,worst genre of dance music bar none.

One week ban for pretty obvious trolling.
    jonny68 wrote: »
    Moderators is there going to be something done about this?

It's one thing slagging off a DJ (although to slag someone who is dead is a bit sick) but bringing someones sexuality into it is not on and people have been banned for less:mad:

Jonny - You have been around here along enough to know about the report post button. I have better things to be doing on a bank holiday weekend then to read every single thread on here. If you dont like a post - report it. Don't come whining on the thread about it if you havent reported it and allowed us a chance to action it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

A_Fitz wrote: »
    So you're upset because I slagged off Fergie/Rangers' Fans/Gays?? LOL, lighten up boy......slagging off is all it was......I couldn't give a **** what TDV and/or Fergie were/weren't doing etc., etc.......I just think hard house is complete muck, TDV was overrated, and Fergie is brutal, that is all.

And yes, I do think all DJs are at least somewhat overrated, but that doesn't mean I going to stop listening to electronic music, or that I'm not going to have opinions about it.

Relax.......I'm not saying that there aren't technically proficient mixers in the HH scene, I'm just saying that as genres go, it is one of the easiest ones to mix........big difference between mixing two DnB records, two electro records, or two dubstep tracks and two HH tracks, IMO

Correct me if im wrong and its quite possible i am, But did you not warm up for Fergie last year in tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Dont want to tread on anyones toes here, but ive been hearing some quite ridiculous rumours about fergie, ive nothing against the chap personally and if he wants to start playing techno instead of hard house i say fair play to him.

Maybe someone can verify this but i have heard that he doesnt actually produce his own tunes but most of them are actually the work of alan fitzpatrick and the gang? Anyone know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

wouldnt surprise me to be honest.
    i do think hes moved away from the hard house stuff but still plays stuff with a harder edge.

also agree with the comment about hard house being simple to mix.it really is quite simple

SteveDon wrote: »
    Dont want to tread on anyones toes here, but ive been hearing some quite ridiculous rumours about fergie, ive nothing against the chap personally and if he wants to start playing techno instead of hard house i say fair play to him.

Maybe someone can verify this but i have heard that he doesnt actually produce his own tunes but most of them are actually the work of alan fitzpatrick and the gang? Anyone know if this is true?

Yeah its Dave Robertson that helps him with the studio work, to be honest, its no big secret. Its a commonly known fact that at least 40% of DJ's have a studio engineer. The ideas for the tracks are all his but its dave robertson that turns the ideas into music.

To be fair, Dave doesn't do that much with Fergie any more because he's finding his feet with the producing himself. All the remixes are Fergie's own work.

Look at Tiesto..... I know for a fact, that DJ Montana Made Flight 643, Lethal Industry, Urban train and Adagio for Cock.

• Advertisement

Yeah its Dave Robertson that helps him with the studio work, to be honest, its no big secret. Its a commonly known fact that at least 40% of DJ's have a studio engineer. The ideas for the tracks are all his but its dave robertson that turns the ideas into music.

To be fair, Dave doesn't do that much with Fergie any more because he's finding his feet with the producing himself. All the remixes are Fergie's own work.

Look at Tiesto..... I know for a fact, that DJ Montana Made Flight 643, Lethal Industry, Urban train and Adagio for Cock.

hmm im not too sure about the 40% but i still reckon theres not alot of talent or skill in having the ideas. in dance music its so critical to have the execution done right.you could have a fantastic idea but if you cant get it out and sounding good itsd irrelivent.

just curious how you know for a fact about tiesto

• KevIRL wrote: »

Was going through his post, wondering what did he say, breaking it down, wondering what was so wrong with saying hard house is crap, or blaming TdV for its popularity, wondering if this was not a bit ott...
    ...and only then I saw the title on his post!

seannash wrote: »
    hmm im not too sure about the 40% but i still reckon theres not alot of talent or skill in having the ideas. in dance music its so critical to have the execution done right.you could have a fantastic idea but if you cant get it out and sounding good itsd irrelivent.

just curious how you know for a fact about tiesto

Its hard to explain without someone else seeing the post and realizing who i am lol.

Ill just leave it at i know someone very well that was on tour with tiesto in that heineken thirst competition. The person was on tour for 8 months so they got a good insight to his studio operations and also is still very good friends with montana.

Its hard to explain without someone else seeing the post and realizing who i am lol.

Ill just leave it at i know someone very well that was on tour with tiesto in that heineken thirst competition. The person was on tour for 8 months so they got a good insight to his studio operations and also is still very good friends with montana.
    fair enough.
    actually now that you mention it from the few tiesto tracks i had on vinyl back in the late ninetys i kinda remember the montanna name in the credits.

its definitely not uncommon for the silent producer set up but its something i fecking hate if im honest

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Correct me if im wrong and its quite possible i am, But did you not warm up for Fergie last year in tralee?

You are completely and utterly wrong - I've never in my live played in a club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

KevIRL wrote: »

How's that trolling when most people, if asked, would say the exact same thing about HH?? He's just stating the obvious really TBH, and if ye weren't so quick to be banning people on here, you're forum would be a lot better and busier, IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭ Esteban Scary Thanksgiving

A_Fitz wrote: »
    How's that trolling when most people, if asked, would say the exact same thing about HH?? He's just stating the obvious really TBH, and if ye weren't so quick to be banning people on here, you're forum would be a lot better and busier, IMHO
    I agree about Hard-House. Along with Happy Hardcore and the likes of Darren Styles, its the worst electronic music there is.

I remember a DCU electronic music advert for tutorials saying 'all records welcome, except for hard house' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

I seen him a few times and each one he had the crowds rocking and what he has done for the hard house scene is unbleivable and he did release some rockers but i wasnt into a lot of the stuff he done as well, i wud say he is a legend for all the work he done for the hard house scene and dacne music scene in general

Fergie never played happy hardcore.

A_Fitz, it was the topic of the post he was banned for. not the content

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I remember reading an interview with fergie a while back and he claimed he didnt play "hard house", he played "house which was hard, mixed with some techno". Having never seen him i cant verify if he's telling truth or waffle but thats what he said anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Nah Tony De Vit ain't overrated.
    His mixing was very decent especially for it's time (1992 - 1997). A number of his 1995 - 1998 mixes at Naughty But Nice & at mixes and his residency at Trade is a lesson in track-selection, it even inspired people like Keno Flanagan, Rory Orbit, Alan Pullen & Mark Kavanagh to start playing Hard House over here or at least a harder more energetic style of House & some Hard Trance music. And they all become HH producers, with them all releasing tracks on Abbey Discs & Kavanagh setting up his own label with Pullen called Baby Doll.
    And Tony's Trade Vol.1 & Vol.3 mixes are some of the best HH mixes ever released on CD maybe only Pete Wardman's Trade Vol.4 is as good.

And as a producer he can't be touched, he's been 20 years dead and not even HH legends like Farely, OD404, Paul King, Mark Kavanagh, Alan Pullen, Ian M, and Paul Glazby haven't been able to surpass him his fresh & innovative music within all that time, actually they've pretty much killed HH, HH was always played between 135 - 150 bpm, now some idiots who are well established are playing it over 170 bpm.

Along with his classic tunes like:
    Are You All Ready?
    The Dawn
    Feel My Love
    Skychilds Toccota
    Burning Up
    Splashdown etc... plus about 40 remixes ranging from the Pet Shop Boys & Bananarama to E-Trax & Patrick Prins.

I've recently come across a number of his previously unreleased tracks like:
    Trippy - X2 mixes
    Something About You (Unreleased Trade Mix)
    Give Me A Reason ( Unreleased Club Mix)
    Give Me A Reason ( Unreleased Rap Version)
    Tim N Ton
    Throw Up
    The Pill

So maybe even underrated.

And his own Jump Wax`, isn't filled with loads & loads of tunes but the 10 or so on it are stompers including all B sides from ...
    Si Macca Body - blody Blow/ Stranger Things
    Sigma 2 - Chemical Hostage/The Controller
    Tony De Vit - I'd Don't Care/Resistance is futile
    Formate One - Elevate/Tag
    Committee -Welcome (I Said Shut Up)
    Tony De Vit - Are You All Read/UFO

My favorite HH label of time. Every tune is sure to get people on the dancefloor.

But don't get me wrong like every great producer he had one or two stinkers.

I couldn't stand his remix of Handbaggers - U Found Out, I couldn't stand that record in general anyway. And his very first production in 1992 was a cover of Axel F, which is just better of being forgotten about done under his Version Two guise - https://www.discogs.com/Version-Two-Axel-F/release/1186403 .
    I liked all the other records he did under the Verion Two name especially Skychilds Toccata - https://www.discogs.com/Version-II-Skychilds-Toccata/release/556322
    The 6am @ Trade mix, 8am @ Trade mix and A Deeper Cut - are all great mixeson that record.
    And yes, thats tthe same Deeper Cut who did great Asylum tunes "Feel It" & Organgrinder" plus great remixes of Diddy - Give Me Love & JX Son of a Gun.

I wasn't mad on his remix of Taylor Danes - Tell It To My Heart either. But then I recently heard a unrealesed remix by Tony De Vit of the song & it was much better than mix he realese.

So that's about 3 cons vs about 150 pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭snickers

Wow this thread really is oldskool loved the trade cds you mention above some whopper tracks on them but some of the tidy stuff was hit and miss the likes of the handbaggers and lots of other tunes at the time were aimed at the queens on the gay scene I have to admit I still love to blare some untidy dub tracks just something about that wobbly beat . I always loved Tony’s version of funky dory good times but at the same time I absolutely can’t stand the dawn should be called the yawn but he always played some belters in his sets sister suck gotta get it up and flip side this world is a ghetto stand out for me in my opinion Tony was a one of the early pioneers of hardhouse and helped to shape it into what it became so for me no not overrated at all rip TDV

I loved most Sister Suck tunes from 96 - 98 like you already said GGU & the World is a Ghetto, also there stuff on Friction Burns label like Jump Up Crew, Please Take Another,Suck This & Clone Ranger.
    Also loved the Razor Babes stuff from 1996 - 1998 as well. Razor Babe was just BK's early stuff & in my opinion his best stuff. I loved Razors Babes - Come One Baby 98 which is one of top 20 Hard House tracks. He did remixes of Sister Suck - Jump Up Crew, Mark Kavanagh's Bad Boy, and Cadenza - Trading Faces.

And yeah I really disliked the The Dawn as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

seen him once,on word..."rocking">...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I thought he was okay 'back in the day' but his stuff hasn't aged well. I relistened to some mixes recently and i'd have to be 17 and on yokes to think it was good.

He was highly regarded and influential on UK/IRE dance scene but he served his time and purpose and that is in the past.

I disagree, I think the majority of his production & mixes have aged well.

I'm not actually sure what you mean when you say "his stuff" because he played such different at different places, stuff from 130 - 140 bpm Funky, Euro & Progressive House in one mix to 155 - 165 bpm Hard Acid Trance & UK Hard House in another mix.

Sure the more cheesy Euro House stuff like Burning Up, Hooked & U Found It has aged badly but the stuff on his Jump Wax label is still some of the best Hard Acid Trance/Hard House ever made, "Body Blow", "Chemical Hostage", "Welcome (I Said Shut Up)" "Elevate", "UFO" etc.... great Hard Dance. Maybe only Choci Chewns & the Spanish label MD Records was better in that genre, which Tony did play a lot of both those labels .

Defunkd wrote: »
    I thought he was okay 'back in the day' but his stuff hasn't aged well. I relistened to some mixes recently and i'd have to be 17 and on yokes to think it was good.

He was highly regarded and influential on UK/IRE dance scene but he served his time and purpose and that is in the past.

And yes, he clearly had a huge influence on Irish DJ's like Mark kavanagh, Alan Pullen, Keno Flanagan, DJ Orbit & even Pressure as they all started playing Hard House in late 96 - early 97 and later guys like James Devlin & Senan Shortt.
    And also had a big influence on English DJ's as well like Andy Farely, Pete Wardman, Steve Thomas, Alan Thompson, Ian M, Glenn Miller & Paul King (F1) who all played at Trade when Tony was still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Hard house was really f*cking awful tbh

But he didn't just play Hard House Billy.

This is why Tony De Vit is still regarded as one of the best DJ's ever, even 21 years after he died. https://hearthis.at/ewtbtdj/1995xxxx-tony-de-vit-live-trade-turnmills-london/

A 11+ plus hour mix from Tony De Vit in April 1995 from Trade @ The Turnmills. Nearly 700 minutes of mid 90's Hard/Progressive/Acid House,Trance & Techno.
    The first 90 minutes is slower House, some Funky & Piano stuff in there been played 120 - 125 bpm, the next 90 minutes is what's known as TradeLite basically a lot of Sharp Boys style stuff which is played at 130bpm, the next 2 hours or so is more up beat House & some Progressive House - Celvine Rotane, Tall Paul, Hyper-Go-Go, Artemesia, Kadoc, Quench that sort of stuff. Staring at around the 5 hour mark for the next 4 hours or so is the best part of the mix, absolutely banging UK Hard House, German Hard/Acid Trance & Italian & Spanish Hard Techno, with a small bit of Hardcore thrown in, starting around 145bpm & building up to 160bpm, it's simply amazing, a lesson in track selection. The last 2 & a half hours of the mix slows things back down to 140bpm but it's still pumping House & Trance music.
    This is the best example of what Tony De Vit was all about.
    Tracklist:
    001. [000] ID
    002. [006] Little City Recordings - Wanna Dance
    003. [012] ID
    004. [015] ID
    005. [018] Toko Productions - The Big Push (Stripped)
    006. [024] Divine Circle feat Annette Taylor - Show Me (Tee's Frozen Mix)
    007. [028] Franco Moiraghi & Amnesia - Dance Now (Club Mix)
    008. [034] ID
    009. [037] ID
    010. [041] ID
    011. [046] ID
    012. [050] Winx - How's The Music (Funky Fever Mix)
    013. [053] Franco Moiraghi & Amensia - Dance Now (Dub Mix)
    014. [060] The Phorce - Strong (Lex Loofahs Tribal Slam)
    015. [065] East Anglia - Unmanageable (Hard Work Mix)
    016. [070] The Hed Boys - Girls - Boys (Seka Mix)
    017. [073] Elevatorman - Funk & Drive (Grinstretcher Dub)
    018. [078] Jason Nevins - Wonderland
    019. [081] Ram Groovers - I Can Make It (Healthful Dub Mix)
    020. [086] DIY - Hothead
    021. [092] Gypsymen - Hear The Music
    022. [096] Cool Jack - Jus' Come (Rhythm Masters Annihilating Remix)
    023. [097] Buzzin Cuzzins Feat Romanthony - Let Me Show You Love
    023. [102] 2 Bad Mice - Bombscare (Graham Gold Remix)
    024. [107] ID
    025. [110] DJ Trajic Featuring Anastasia - All Men R Doggz
    026. [114] Cosmopolitan - Cry Boy (Tony De Vit Remix)
    027. [120] MD X-Spress - God Made Me Phunky (Original Mix)
    028. [123] Mike - Twangling 3 Fingers In The Box (Pukka Mix)
    029. [126] X-Press 2 - London X-Press
    030. [132] Pizzaman - Sex On The Streets (Playboy's Fully Loaded Dub)
    031. [138] ID
    032. [141] Marshal Stax - Switchead
    033. [147] ID
    034. [152] ID
    035. [156] ID
    036. [162] ID
    037. [165] NY Connection - Triptonite
    038. [169] ID
    039. [175] Sound Environment - Be There (Funky Frenzy)
    040. [179] Celvine Rotane - I Believe
    041. [183] Deep Stix vs. Kentish Man - U-Got
    042. [185] B B Club - Play This House (Original Hard House Mix)
    043. [189] Itty Bitty Boozy Woozy - Tempo Fiesta (Party Time)
    044. [192] Chakka Boom Bang - Tossing And Turning (Original Club Mix)
    045. [198] ID
    046. [202] Petra & Co - Just Let Go (P + C Gallery Vocal Mix)
    047. [205] The Numerical Value - Krazy Noise (Instranormal Remix)
    048. [209] Nail - Optimus
    049. [214] Hyper Go-Go - Never Let Go (Mukkaa Remix)
    051. [218] Gongo - Master Blaster (Mtthew's Master Mix)
    052. [222] Nush - Move That Body (Nad Dub)
    053..[227] Time Of The Mumph - Control (Hoombarla Mix)
    054. [231] ID
    055. [235] Artemesia - Bits & Pieces (Tony De Vit Mix)
    056. [239] Artemesia - Bits & Pieces (Tin Tin Out Mix)
    057. [244] 99th Floor Elevators - Hooked (Tony De Vit Mix)
    058. [253] Kadoc - You Got To Be There (Unison Remix)
    059. [258] Eating Habits - May I Have The Mayonnaise
    060. [262] Kool World Productions - In-Vader (Tall Paul Lush Mix)
    061. [269] Epik - The Blob (Tony De Vit Remix)
    062. [275] ID
    063. [279] Sourmash - Pilgrimage To Paradise
    064. [281] Quench - Dreams
    065. [285] ID
    066. [288] The Pump Panel - Ego Acid
    067. [293] Watchman - Cut The Midrange
    068. [297] Robert Armani - Circus Bells (Hardfloor Remix)
    069. [303] E.E.G. - Virgo
    070. [307] Mark NRG - In My Brain
    071. [311] Yo Yo - Ga Ga
    072. [315] Antic - The Ultimate
    073. [320] Dex - What Is Going On (Tony De Vit Remix)
    074. [327] Marmion - Schonenberg
    075. [332] Marmion - Schonenberg (Marmion Remix)
    076. [341] D.M.B. - If We Lose Our Lovin (Razors Edge V Disco Volante Dub)
    077. [346] ID
    078. [350] Meng Syndicate - Sonar System (Speedy J Remix)
    079. [354] Friends Of Alex - What Is...? Fick Dich
    080. [357] Ultra Shock - The Sound Of E (Energy Mix)
    081. [362] Kaoss - Kaoss Suite (Kaoss Techno)
    082. [366] Tony De Vit - Higher And Higher (Remix)
    083. [371] The Disciples - Underrave
    084. [373] Partizan - Kelly's Heroes
    085. [378] Scorpia La Central Del Sonido - Hypnose
    086. [383] ID
    087. [389] Force Mass Motion - Let It Move You
    088. [394] De Tune - Acid Dream
    089. [399] Fuego - El Diablo
    090. [404] Mikado - Feel The Bass (Trance Mix)
    091. [409] Tony De Vit - To The Limit
    092. [417] Nexus 6 - Tres Chic
    093. [420] ID
    094. [426] Blu Peter - Flagship (Higher Energy)
    095. [432] Tony De Vit - Starlight
    096. [437] DJ Eric Sneo - Forces Of Nature
    097. [444] ID
    098. [449] Dynamic Maniax - Calling Middle Earth
    099. [456] DJ Edge - Nations
    100. [461] Mega Lo Mania - Emotion
    101. [466] The Dentist - Phase IV (Global Phases)
    102. [468] ID
    113. [474] Dominatrix - Possession (Baby Doc Remix)
    104. [477] Penalty Phase - Odyssee
    105. [481] Cygnus X - The Orange Theme
    106. [465] Jam5& Spoon - Die Kraft Der Vier Herzen
    107. [491] JX - You Belong To Me (No Respect Remix)
    108. [495] DJ Edge - Bb6
    119. [499] Para-Dizer - Song Of Liberation (Liberation Mix)
    110. [506] Illuminatae - Tierra Del Fuego
    111. [509] Force Mass Motion - The Deep
    112. [513] Interactive - Living Without Your Love (Aux Mix)
    113. [516] Razor's Edge - Exquisite Sin (Exquisite Anthem Mix)
    114. [520] Sourmash - Throwing Caution To The Wind
    115. [525] Maurizio Braccagni - Megamix Maranza
    116. [529] Immaginazione 2 - La Musica Del Futuro
    117. [531] Fabio Locati - XTC Vol 3 (Immaginazione Version)
    118. [533] Plexus - Autoshutter (Mix 3)
    119. [535] Dyewitness - Observing The Earth
    120. [539] Joe Inferno - Tribal Church
    121. [542] 50% - I Hate Rock & Roll
    122. [547] E-Trax - Let's Rock
    123. [551] Immaginazione 2 - La Musica Del Futuro
    124. [554] Ramirez - El Ritmo Barbaro (El Flagelo Mix)
    125. [557] Ramirez - La Musika Tremenda (La Tormenta Mix)
    126. [560] Vinyl Blair - Scratch N Sniff
    127. [562] Rabbit City - Beyond Control
    128. [563] Voodoo Child - Voodoo Child
    129. [568] NRG - Never Lost His Hardcore
    130. [572] Point Good - Lets Dance (Bad Zone Mix)
    131. [574] Sharada House Gang - Let The Rhythm Move Yo
    132. [579] Cafe Latino - Esta Es La Musica (Remix)
    133. [583] Gat Decor - Passion(Naked Mix)
    134. [588] Diss-Cuss - Save The Day
    135. [593] Basic One - Devastatin' To Yo Ear (Club Version)
    136. [596] ID
    137. [599] Khaled - Cheeba (Man City Instrumental)
    138. [603] The Peppermint Lounge - Lemon Project
    139. [607] Aphrohead - In The Dark We Live (Dave Clarke Remix)
    140. [609] C*Y*B - Come On Boy (C*Y*Bemetic Body Mix)
    141. [614] Decktition - Love Rush
    142. [616] House Pimps - Zulu Nation (Andronicus Discuss Remix)
    143. [619] ID
    144. [623] D-Lay - Speen Go (Rmx)
    145. [626] Ovation - Everybody Relax
    146. [629] E-Rection - Smoke My Dang-A-Long
    147. [634] Rich Lee - Rock So Hard
    148. [638] OT Quartet - Hold That Sucker Down (Builds Like A Skyscraper)
    149. [643] Tech-Noise - Do You Want Me
    150. [647] Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Watch Out For Stella Club Mix)
    151. [652] Winx - Don't Laugh (Tony De Vit Remix)
    152. [653] Tony De Vit - Burning
    153. [657] Must - Gotta Get (Loose)
    154. [661] East 17 - Around The World (P+C Remix)
    155. [667] Mrs Wood - Joanna
    156. [671] Deuce - Call It Love (Movin' Melodies Mix)
    157. [676] I.C.P. - Free & Equal (Leftfield Remix)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Capone79

Yea, that's probably one of his better known & commercial remixes, I think it was only like the 1st or 2nd release on the Tidy Trax label as well. Tony's co-writer Simon Parkes actually did my favourite remix of Handbaggers in 2003 for the 5th anniversary of Tony's death. https://www.discogs.com/master/1441515-Travel-The-Handbaggers-The-Recycle-EP-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Overrated maybe...i seen him live in dublin around 1998..unreal he was..great night

Advertisement