Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outside Noise

• 09-12-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, moved to a new property (25years old approx) and the noise from outside traffic and aircraft can be very loud in the mornings. Doesnt help that im a v light sleeper!
    I have gotten a price of €900 to add one additional sliding window to be placed in front of bedroom window, but no guarantee this will work.
    Does anyone have any recommendations or useful tips.
    thankyou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Do your windows close properly with no gaps around the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cmred

hi, yes they do. any suggestions greatly received

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I assume there are wall vents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Google acoustic glass Ireland, made for the job.

Then add sound board which is acoustic plasterboard to the walls and ceiling and you should have a nice quiet room.

yes , one. put a picture in front of it. realize this makes little or no difference but would be adverse to blocking it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

HOw long are you in the property? You would be surprised how quickly you will get used to most of it.
    Try earplugs

coming up to 2years, earplugs hep but not very well. trust me, wont get used to it. allergic to noise, sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That sounds like a lot for one window adaptation? Of course it depends on a lot of things, not least the size and style of the window.

i know, but it was actually the cheapest out of 3 companies who came to see it. wouldnt mind paying it as a one off if it actually worked. no come back if it doesnt..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

Get what I've got: " ICHS " :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Static vents are required in rooms with combustion sources in them, like fireplaces and gas appliances. Otherwise blocking the vent would help.
    The suggestion of acoustic plasterboard is good, and the equivalent glass product. You need mass to block noise and fuzz to cause it to be diffuse. My understanding is that in your case you need to block the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

cmred wrote: »
    Hi, moved to a new property (25years old approx) and the noise from outside traffic and aircraft can be very loud in the mornings. Doesnt help that im a v light sleeper!
    I have gotten a price of €900 to add one additional sliding window to be placed in front of bedroom window, but no guarantee this will work.
    Does anyone have any recommendations or useful tips.
    thankyou
    OP, your problem sounds like air borne sound entering the house via air leakage.
    As I see it you have two choices;
    1, chase your tail trying all sorts of things that "might" help a bit or
    2, test the house for air tightness and then deal with each and every leakage found.
    This 2nd option, I guarantee, will solve >90% of your problem if done right

thanks so much
    "Test the house for air tightness" - is this something i can do or need to get someone in?

yes the acoustic glass or placing a secondary window in front of the existing one is the other option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Static vents are required in rooms with combustion sources in them, like fireplaces and gas appliances. Otherwise blocking the vent would help.
    The suggestion of acoustic plasterboard is good, and the equivalent glass product. You need mass to block noise and fuzz to cause it to be diffuse. My understanding is you need to block the noise.
    There is a bit more to it that that:
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/tgd-part-f-ventilation/technical-guidance-document-f-ventilation

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The suggestion of acoustic plasterboard is good, and the equivalent glass product. You need mass to block noise and fuzz to cause it to be diffuse. My understanding is that in your case you need to block the noise.

Do not block the vents bit there are units you can get that open automatically when they need to and there are foam inserts to help stop the noise as I find the pipes between the vent covers created a lot of noise from the wind and can hear everything inside and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Ok good to know. Can you summarise? Link is to a multipart document.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have an occasional problem with a noisy nighthawk neighbour. I bought a white noise machine so I just turn it on when the issue arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Do not block the vents bit there are units you can get that open automatically when they need to and there are foam inserts to help stop the noise as I find the pipes between the vent covers created a lot of noise from the wind and can hear everything inside and out.

Do you have a link for the unit and foam inserts?

thanks so much
    "Test the house for air tightness" - is this something i can do or need to get someone in?
    You'll need to get someone with experience in testing and addressing the leakage paths found. Generally its part of a heat loss survey so you might get to kill two birds...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Are airtight dormers more prone to sound pollution than airtight non dormers?

• Advertisement

Are airtight dormers more prone to sound pollution than airtight non dormers?

If both are equally airtight then no (what level of airtightness you mean by "airtight", is it passive house level or building regulations?;))

Btw, the majority of houses with room(s) in the roof, be they dormers or no, suffer significant air leakage unless specific measures were taken when built.

Hi again
    finally getting to this and have two options which hopefully someone will be able to advise which is best. cost is little or nothing between the 2

supply and fit a white aluminium secondary window with 6.8 acoustic glass

or

improve your sound reduction by 8 decibels

thankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hi again
    finally getting to this and have two options which hopefully someone will be able to advise which is best. cost is little or nothing between the 2

supply and fit a white aluminium secondary window with 6.8 acoustic glass

or

improve your sound reduction by 8 decibels

thankyou

i have secondary glazing in my house and it makes a huge difference to noise (and air movement)

however you need to be aware that secondary glazing will negate any ventilation on your primary glazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Advertisement