Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding maths as a teaching subject

• 27-11-2019 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,
    So I'm currently doing the Science education course in ucc ( biology entry through BEEs).
    As you can figure from the title I'm looking at options to add maths as a teachable subject for me after graduation.
    Just wondering what options there are for me to make up the necessary credits in maths.is there an accelerated program or would I be looking at a full maths degree.
    I was looking at the open university and also the course in UL but I think you must be currently teaching maths to do it.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheehan123

Hi, so you can do what’s called a higher diploma course which offers a range of subjects that you can study. The course is only one year long and you are qualified to teach that subject at the end, provided you’re already qualified in teaching. Just google higher diploma in maths and a few colleges should come up. Just out of interest does the BEE’s course qualify you to become a post primary teacher?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC - might get better responses here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Buckers2411

Sheehan123 wrote: »
    Hi, so you can do what’s called a higher diploma course which offers a range of subjects that you can study. The course is only one year long and you are qualified to teach that subject at the end, provided you’re already qualified in teaching. Just google higher diploma in maths and a few colleges should come up. Just out of interest does the BEE’s course qualify you to become a post primary teacher?

It does If you choose the science education degree stream you will be qualified to teach JC science and Leaving Cert bio

Also yes I was looking at higher diploma option which seems s the more likely.... pity I can't find one in cork😪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

That UL course is no longer running.

Maynooth do a higher diploma in maths course. Its a 1 year full time course but you can do part time over two years as far as I know.
    I think UCD do a similar one.
    You'd need to check in advance with the Teaching Council to make sure they recognise the courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheehan123

It does If you choose the science education degree stream you will be qualified to teach JC science and Leaving Cert bio

Can you choose a different career path aswell other than teaching with that degree?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Always check with the lovely folk in the Teaching Council as to whether a particular course is acceptable to them.

Can you choose a different career path aswell other than teaching with that degree?

You can. There are quite a few degree outlets from it things like geology zoology etc lots of info on ucc website

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Hi there,
    So I'm currently doing the Science education course in ucc ( biology entry through BEEs).
    As you can figure from the title I'm looking at options to add maths as a teachable subject for me after graduation.
    Just wondering what options there are for me to make up the necessary credits in maths.is there an accelerated program or would I be looking at a full maths degree.
    I was looking at the open university and also the course in UL but I think you must be currently teaching maths to do it.
    Many thanks

Not sure if you saw this - might save you a lot of time and money. Best of luck.

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2019-press-releases/PR19-12-19.html

Advertisement