Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most boring places you've visited

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would probably say Geneva.
    Boring beyond belief.

I didn't mind Oslo tbh, it was ridiculously expensive, especially for a drink. But parks, museums, galleries etc are good. The whole Bygdoy area is stunning if you are into hiking or cycling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Hamachi wrote: »
    Only spent a few days there, but I found Brisbane quite dull when backpacking up the east coast of Australia. We couldn’t really find anything to do there.

The highlight of my stay there was getting the shift off a somewhat rotund English girl in the backpackers hostel. I remember my buddy saying, well you’ll never see her again anyway. Which of course meant that we continually ran into her over the course of the next several months traveling around SE Asia..

Totally agree on Brisbane.
    My overriding memory is lots and lots of grey high rise office towers. Zzzzzzzz

Going there directly after spells in Melbourne and Sydney didn’t help - as both those cities were wonderfully entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

Adelaide on a Monday
    Linkoping Monday to Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Hamachi wrote: »
    Have to agree with this. I spent two weeks on my own in Oslo with work several years ago. It’s one of the most sterile cities I’ve ever visited. It honestly felt like being in purgatory.

I was so bored by the middle of the second week I practically begged one of the Norwegians in the office to go drinking with me. We ended up pretty wasted in a nightclub. My credit card bill was horrendous after deciding that we needed shots to get the night going. Still it was worth it as a temporary break from the tedium.

I had been on a 6 week trip across America and flew home via Oslo. I'd been booking so many flights and had so many stop overs by the time we landed all I wanted was a cold beer and a warm bed. I realised when I got to my hotel my flight home was from Copenhagen, not Oslo so there was no reason for me to even be there.
    I wandered the streets all day in the freezing cold, there was literally nothing to do and it was snowing. I went into a freezing cold bar and spent about 100 euros on 5 beers. So sterile and boring. It was New Years eve too and I just wanted to go home but had to trek all the way to Copenhagen the next day to hang around there all day till my flight home.
    Left a pretty sour taste in my mouth for Oslo i tells ya!

gmisk wrote: »
    Surprised to see it mentioned, I suppose it depends what you are into.
    Some of the best museums and art galleries I have ever been too. Really beautiful especially the hofburg, couple of stunning palaces as well.
    It also has some brilliant restaurants.

Going to a new city to spend it walking around a quiet room with pictures on the wall with annoying people everywhere. That’s just not my cup of tea I suppose.
    And if you’ve seen one fancy looking European city you’ve seen them all. It just doesn’t seem to have its own character

There is zero life and energy to the place. Dull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The cliffs of moher

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭feargantae

NSAman wrote: »
    I see you took the cheap tourist route..:)

Actually I agree to a degree. parts of athens are great, but the place is a sh1thole of filth. City centre is boring at night and the food? Ffs everything is the same!

Yep! I can't blame the people for being sad to live there but why did everything look so down in the dumps?

The only thing the place had going for it, which is a common thing for capital cities in general is that there's 24/7 shops. Those little huts on every street corner where you could buy crisps and beers and shíte like that

feargantae wrote: »
    Weed.

That's about all there is to get
    Harsh, I love amsterdam.
    Some lovely bars on the canals, a few beers and bitterballen mmm cracking and pretty reasonable food. Museums, galleries etc top notch. Really fun to cycle around too.
    I have a good friend who lives there so would be over a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Probably Vienna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Singapore. Was there for 48 hours. Walking outside the airport was like walking in to a shopping centre in winter. That blast of hot air hitting you in the face but it was surrounding you all the time. About 20 people pointed and stared at me in the street and went ohhh when they did. Not even trying to be discreet. I'm very tall guess it was that lol. Not much to do there. Very boring.

Amsterdam. Found it bland and underwhelming. Ninja cyclists everywhere.

Lastly Australia in general. Very over hyped. A high proportion of Aussies are unbearable. Going over the top about being Australian all the time. Wasn't expecting that.

Had positive experiences overall wherever else I've been.

• Advertisement

Hamburg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

My own contender is Hannover in Germany - stopped there once out of curiosity on the way from Amsterdam to Berlin and I was pretty familiar with the name from history etc. Apart from an impressive city hall, and some nice palace gardens outside the city (pretty modest by German standards though), it was basically just filled with shopping streets.

I disagree, the Market Church is one of the strangest places in Europe with its giant inverted pentagram on the spire to fight off witchcraft. The Extersteine is not far away and one of most interesting rock formations you will encounter anywhere. Connected with Pagan cults - it was the site of the mythological Immersul tree of the Saxon tribes and the whole location oozes atmosphere. This is the location were Marianne Faithful climbed in Kenneth Anger's film Lucifer Rising. The SS castle as Wewelsburg is not far away and worth it for coming face to face with real occult nature of the Third Reich.

Yes the centre of Hanover is mostly bland shops - but the hinterland is the Germany of myth legend and amazing history.

"Boring" is subjective.

Galway (the city). Not only the most over rated tourist destination in the world, but a place you can see and do everything there is to do there in about 15 to 25 mins.

IT IS CRAP. To the point whereby if someone tells me 'Galway is amazing' I assume that they have either never been anywhere else, or think that the totality of human experience revolves around a few pubs and not much else.

Galway is actually a national embarrassment and no one wants to admit it. Like a family member we all know is a loser but service their self-delusions out of kindness.

Hamburg

If you think Hamburg is boring you were doing it wrong.

One of the most bad ass rock n roll cities I’ve ever been too.

So much to do during the day and some of the best nightlife anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Malmö.

Holyhead wasn’t great either. Thankfully, wasn’t stuck there for too long.

I came to post the exact two places.. :eek:

Malmo is a strange place. There is nothing to do at all, literally nothing but walk around it. Just looking at the top ten attractions on TripAdvisor... number 9..

‘ The disgusting food museum ‘. It’s a museum of disgusting food. :eek:

Otherwise it’s a library, churches, a park, a couple of streets and a square..

Holyhead is the land that time forgot... nothing to do apart from looking at the sky and getting drunk... pubs are crap too.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    The state of Texas. Considering its size, there is almost nothing in it. Some of the cities are nice like San Antonio but its a fews hours drive through totally flat plains between cities.

Dallas was a particularly banal place. I drove up on a Sunday and it was like a ghost town. Like alot of american cities, there no shops downtown. Its more a business district. At one point, I was standing on the block corner & took a photo up a few blocks without a single person in view in the heart of the city.

Heres what it was like, almost no cars or people out walking:

matthew-t-rader-QXTg-_PPT3A-unsplash-scaled.jpg

The desert. It is incredible and Texan people are some of the nicest in the world.

Going to a new city to spend it walking around a quiet room with pictures on the wall with annoying people everywhere. That’s just not my cup of tea I suppose.
    And if you’ve seen one fancy looking European city you’ve seen them all. It just doesn’t seem to have its own character

There is zero life and energy to the place. Dull

Well that is my idea of heaven (minus the people everywhere) ha. More than just pictures to be fair, they have natural history museum etc as well.
    Oh and some great cocktail bars as well. I like a fancy looking place what can I say. Just not your cup of tea I guess as you say.

Where would you prefer for a european city break that isn't one of the obvious ones?

Oh I would also be tempted to change my answer to Bratislava...nothing to do...dreary....dour people, cheap beer was about only positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

NSAman wrote: »
    Eindhoven... to say I was bored is an understatement.

Completely forgot to mention Eindhoven actually, most of the main Dutch cities are worth a visit but Eindhoven was sh!te tbh. Just a load of busy roads and bland office buildings with a tiny church in the middle of it.

I think the Netherlands is one of the few parts of the world where I'd easily know where I was if you plonked me in the middle of it - all of the streets have that same copy-pasted red brick look everywhere, its bizarre.

Utrecht is well worth a visit, very walkable and far less busy/tacky compared with Amsterdam.

Strumms wrote: »
    I came to post the exact two places.. :eek:

Malmo is a strange place. There is nothing to do at all, literally nothing but walk around it. Just looking at the top ten attractions on TripAdvisor... number 9..

‘ The disgusting food museum ‘. It’s a museum of disgusting food. :eek:

Otherwise it’s a library, churches, a park, a couple of streets and a square..

Holyhead is the land that time forgot... nothing to do apart from looking at the sky and getting drunk... pubs are crap too.
    My only experience of Malmo was at eurovision....so the place was hopping, but I could see minus that it wouldn't be much fun.

gmisk wrote: »
    Well that is my idea of heaven (minus the people everywhere) ha. More than just pictures to be fair, they have natural history museum etc as well.
    Oh and some great cocktail bars as well. I like a fancy looking place what can I say. Just not your cup of tea I guess as you say.

Where would you prefer for a european city break that isn't one of the obvious ones?

Oh I would also be tempted to change my answer to Bratislava...nothing to do...dreary....dour people, cheap beer was about only positive.

I really like museums, just not on a weekend break if you get me. Maybe I’ll end up there again some day and love it.

• Advertisement

Norway is a country I have been to many times and I always feel 'sad' there.

When you travel properly - not like most Irish people - you come to understand how pretty awesome Ireland is and places like Dublin we slag off are a million times better than we realize. To be honest most of Western Europe - apart from the ancient cultural elements - is essentially a life support system before the locals eventually die.

Ireland is special regardless of if you want to admit it or not. Although we have been destroyed by the most despicable and unnecessary covid lockdown on earth so who knows if we will ever recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I disagree, the Market Church is one of the strangest places in Europe with its giant inverted pentagram on the spire to fight off witchcraft. The Extersteine is not far away and one of most interesting rock formations you will encounter anywhere. Connected with Pagan cults - it was the site of the mythological Immersul tree of the Saxon tribes and the whole location oozes atmosphere. This is the location were Marianne Faithful climbed in Kenneth Anger's film Lucifer Rising. The SS castle as Wewelsburg is not far away and worth it for coming face to face with real occult nature of the Third Reich.

Yes the centre of Hanover is mostly bland shops - but the hinterland is the Germany of myth legend and amazing history.

"Boring" is subjective.

To be honest I only had time to see the city centre and I was travelling by train anyway, I'll take your word for it. I've certainly heard about Wewelsburg and the strange stuff that the SS got up to there, didn't know it was nearby.

In my head I am probably unfairly comparing it to some other cities in Germany. Dresden was beautiful and well worth the visit - despite all the damage of the past century most of the spectacular centre has been completely rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

feargantae wrote: »
    Yep! I can't blame the people for being sad to live there but why did everything look so down in the dumps?

The only thing the place had going for it, which is a common thing for capital cities in general is that there's 24/7 shops. Those little huts on every street corner where you could buy crisps and beers and shíte like that

Greeks are very selfish and don’t look after the environment around them...
    Graffiti is a national obsession and it’s BAD graffiti. They clean up little apart from their own property and even then in the city they could care less cause some little ***k comes along and grafitti’s it.

Worked there and still do, imagine my joy when I found a Mexican and a Chinese within a week of each other, Greek food sucks ...oregano on fecking everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Lastly Australia in general. Very over hyped. A high proportion of Aussies are unbearable. Going over the top about being Australian all the time. Wasn't expecting that.

Really enjoyed Australia overall, but also experienced this. If one more gob****e said to me ‘it’s a bloody great country, isn’t it mate’, I wouldn’t have been responsible for my actions.

Found Australians a mixed bag. Some of them have quite strange notions about Irish people and are carrying around attitudes that died out in Britain in the 1970s.

I’m not a huge fan of mass immigration or multiculturalism in general, but I found some of the attitudes towards Asians repugnant. I actually intervened in a Sydney cafe when two young, good looking, blonde Australian girls were remorselessly belittling the middle-aged Asian waitress. Normally, I’d never involve myself in a situation like that, but I felt desperately sorry for the poor woman, whose English wasn’t terrific, but was trying her best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I agree with Bratislava. I remember ordering baked fish and potatoes in some dank restaurant and being handed a full fish on a plate with a dollop of cold potato salad by some sourpuss waitress.

Milan is really dull too. If you're into fashion and shopping I guess it's interesting but I hated it.

Porklife wrote: »
    I agree with Bratislava. I remember ordering baked fish and potatoes in some dank restaurant and being handed a full fish on a plate with a dollop of cold potato salad by some sourpuss waitress.

Milan is really dull too. If you're into fashion and shopping I guess it's interesting but I hated it.

Ha, Milan, forgot about that one (because it’s forgettable)

If you think Hamburg is boring you were doing it wrong.

One of the most bad ass rock n roll cities I’ve ever been too.

So much to do during the day and some of the best nightlife anywhere

Next time I am over can I give you a shout?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Derry - seems outwardly interesting, but place was far too quiet in the evening. Though better than Letterkenny which isn’t even interesting during the day.

The Hague is cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Belmullet. Ice cream van on the roundabout was the highlight.

Advertisement