Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most boring places you've visited

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

NSAman wrote: »
    While I found Paris snooty.... I find the countryside to be extremely friendly, especially Brittany. I have had some fantastic nights in the middle of no where talking to locals in bars.

I didn’t find Paris snooty.
    I found it intimidating and dirty.
    Lots of people harassing you.
    Especially around the train stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

GT89 wrote: »
    I've found the locals everywhere in France not just Paris a bit unwelcoming towards tourists. I get the feeling that compared to places like Spain and Italy the country doesn't really see tourism as a priority and it is only seen only a side industry.

Whereas in Italy and Spain they'd be very welcoming towards tourists in order to get as much money they possibly can.

I have found a lot of the French to be obnoxious up their own holes, and most especially the more touristy the spot.

And someone said Brittany.
    I have had and seen terrible insulting service in places like Morlaix, Quimper, Locronan, etc.
    I have actually witnessed a meltown by waiter that was like something out of Falwty Towers.
    He actually had same build as Basil to make it even more similar.

The worst and most unbelievable was the treatment of anyone English speaking in a restaurant in of all places Normandy, near the beaches.
    FFS these ignorant insulting ar**holes could be serving the descendants of someone who came to give his life freeing their fooking ancestors.
    There had been a battle in the village where some US soldiers lost their lives.

You are best going to non touristy places where you meet some nice enough people, but on the hold the more touristy the bigger the assh**es I found.

Spanish, Italians, Greeks are a hundred times nicer.

As they say France, much like the US, would be brilliant if only the natives weren't there.
    As it is they have some beautiful places with a lot of ignorant arrogant fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Loving this thread. Only halfway through but thought I'd give my list anyway.

Galway: Slightly prettier version of temple bar. You'll have completed Galway city in about 2 hours then there's nothing to do other than go for a pint.

Cork: what an ugly place. More to do than in Galway but I wasn't impressed at all.
    I found Waterford and Limerick to be a lot better to visit.

Bruges: stayed here for a few nights, absolutely nothing to do after our walking tour. Beautiful city but very dull after you did a tour of it. Nightlife was non existent, had to end up eating I'm burger king as there was nothing else to choose from.

Amsterdam: a city full of weed cafe's and half baked women in windows yet it's one of the most boring places I've been to.

Bratislava: went on a "lads trip". Grand place for 1 night but there's nothing to do in the day and the only craic to have was with other Irish and British.

Singapore: I think it's an even more culturless and soulless version of Dubai. Couldn't wait to get out.

Bogota: Everything to see can be done in half a day. The rest of the city is just an extremely ugly dump. Flew to Medellin after that and couldn't get enough of the city.

A lot of people mentioned Vienna. I can get why many mentioned it but I have to disagree. If you're there to get pissed and have no interest in actually experiencing Viennese culture then you're not going to have a very fun experience. I absolutely loved Vienna. We then got a train to Budapest and got best of both worlds... Stunning architecture with countless attractions AND world class nightlife. I have no idea how Budapest was mentioned in this thread. If you find Budapest boring then I think that says a lot more about you than it does Budapest :D

There’s loads in Amsterdam:) the fact that dam square was once the sea is an interesting starting point. In fact once I sat down for 20 mins watching someone move house , the moving company had a conveyor belt that dropped the stuff up 5 floors and in the window , awesome city :) I partial to a smoke but didn’t go near it last time as I was too busy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Forgot about Tralee, been there twice for sports events, won't be going back. Absolutely nothing going on.

The rest of Kerry is beautiful, dunno what happened to Tralee.

A friend if mine went to Tralee IT years ago, lasted about 4 months and has to leave as the town was so boring, even the student nights out were boring apparently

Tralee is in a beautiful setting, approaching from the north, but the town itself is an awful sprawling dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Houston, Texas.

At street level, its one sky scraper after another. You are walking along the pavement, and there is just nothing to see except glass and concrete and cars and the odd homeless person.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Houston, Texas.

At street level, its one sky scraper after another. You are walking along the pavement, and there is just nothing to see except glass and concrete and cars and the odd homeless person.

It had the distinction a few years ago as the fattest city in the US.

Not sure if anyone knocked them off that spot ?
    Also not sure if that is something to attract tourists :D

I think it all depends on your mindset. I thought Kuwait was the most boring place I ever visited, and I was telling a friend (big into recent history) about how terrible it is — nothing to do except go shopping, etc. And he looked kinda sad to hear that and started telling me about Saddam's invasion and how brave the Kuwaitis had been, and asked "are there no war museums?", but I hadn't gone out of my way to check — I would have liked those.

I'd just done the Top 5 things from my guidebook in the short time I had there, sort of expecting entertainment to fall into my lap. Reminds me of the truth of the saying "if you're bored, you're boring".

Sometimes when you visit a city, and you're tired, whatever that city is lacking is down to your own lapse of energy or your mindset. Amazing to see people here describe Paris or Budapest as boring places.

With a bit of enthusiasm, you probably wouldn't even be bored on a visit to a blanket bog in Mayo. But we are human and our mindsets are not very reliable. Don't blame the bogs, or Paris, or even Kuwait, for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Timmyr wrote: »
    I cant tell if you're being serious...

But I strongly disagree, I live in Auckland and its an amazing city

long time since i was in NZ , i actually did not see much of Auckland , i do remember that every kiwi outside of it had nothing good to say about the place , bit like culchies in this country never having a good word to say about Dublin ? :pac:

I think it all depends on your mindset. I thought Kuwait was the most boring place I ever visited, and I was telling a friend (big into recent history) about how terrible it is — nothing to do except go shopping, etc. And he looked kinda sad to hear that and started telling me about Saddam's invasion and how brave the Kuwaitis had been, and asked "are there no war museums?", but I hadn't gone out of my way to check — I would have liked those.

I'd just done the Top 5 things from my guidebook in the short time I had there, sort of expecting entertainment to fall into my lap. Reminds me of the truth of the saying "if you're bored, you're boring".

Sometimes when you visit a city, and you're tired, whatever that city is lacking is down to your own lapse of energy or your mindset. Amazing to see people here describe Paris or Budapest as boring places.

With a bit of enthusiasm, you probably wouldn't even be bored on a visit to a blanket bog in Mayo. But we are human and our mindsets are not very reliable. Don't blame the bogs, or Paris, or even Kuwait, for that.

Well blanket bogs tend to be in upland mountainous areas so usually pretty good views.
    Listening to some curlew, snipe, skylarks whistle, or is croak away, can be quite soothing.

As a kid lumping bags of turf out of a bog I always thought there was a tourist market there and also a way of lessening the workload for me.

You just had to convince some gullible townies and foreigners of the benefits of working within nature, the exercise, the muscle building, the chance of an almighty sunburn suntan of a sunny day, and the chance to soak your feet in rich medicinal giving boghole water after you got them out of a sweat soaked wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Porklife wrote: »
    Unless you're into surfing, I found San Diego really boring.
    !

Did you go to the Zoo in san diego? It’s on my bucket list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

A lot of hate for French people, I was in the south of France 2 years ago and the people were very friendly and helpful. The place that I have been with the least friendliest people was Florence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I really disagree with a lot of the places mentioned here. Spent a week in Amsterdam and loved it- Anne Frank house, Van Gogh museum were the highlights. Vienna is another amazing city- only had a short visit but would love to go back to see more (big Mozart fan).
    Whoever said Salthill is boring- I know I’m biased as I live nearby but there is always something interesting to see there, or go swimming, running, walking, mackerel fishing, nice places to eat.
    I suppose what this thread shows is that we all find different things interesting. I do think that only boring people are easily bored .... (runs for cover!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A lot of hate for French people, I was in the south of France 2 years ago and the people were very friendly and helpful. The place that I have been with the least friendliest people was Florence.
    I thought the people were friendly in Nice alright. Not so much in Monaco though. Probably because I didn't have a Ferrari or a yacht. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Did you go to the Zoo in san diego? It’s on my bucket list.

Yeah I loved the zoo, it was the highlight of my trip. I also got surf lessons and despite falling constantly and almost dying numerous times, i had loads of fun :)
    It was more so in the evening time there was nothing to do and downtown is crawling with drug addicts and homeless people. Alot of the homeless people are on crack too so they walk in front of traffic and throw bottles etc.
    We were shouted at and followed a few times.
    The beaches are beautiful but outside of that or the stoner culture like weed cafes, I was bored alot of the time.
    I can see how some people would love it though. I'm not a big beach person and i don't smoke weed but id say it's a wicked place if that's what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The homeless people in the *‘tenderloin’ area of San Francisco is frightening. * at least that’s what the guide called it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    long time since i was in NZ , i actually did not see much of Auckland , i do remember that every kiwi outside of it had nothing good to say about the place , bit like culchies in this country never having a good word to say about Dublin ? :pac:

A good number of those cases might be down to being called that... and vice versa of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

fuerta ventura
    boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Port Talbot in Wales - horrendously run down. Stayed a night there on the way to Cardiff for a rugby match. The town is basically a dormitory for the massive steel plant.
    Nothing in it except a grotty 1980s shopping centre, dodgy greasy spoon cafes, the grimmest beach in Wales and it's one saving grace - the train station to get you the hell out of there. Hotel breakfast looked like a poor offering, so thought we'd get something in the town. Didn't take long to realise that Greggs was the best option.

Port Talbot makes Holyhead look like Cannes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

joeysoap wrote: »
    The homeless people in the *‘tenderloin’ area of San Francisco is frightening. * at least that’s what the guide called it

San Diego is out of control now with homeless people. In the Gaslamp Quarter aswell. People with literally nothing but jeans on - no shoes or shirt - lying face down on the concrete in the middle of the path in the day. Locals are so desensitised that they just walk around them.

Right outside the door of our (nice) hotel, there was a couple smoking crack at 5pm as we arrived back. When we left again to go out for dinner they were gone but there were two big sh1ts and a crackpipe where they were sitting.

San Fran not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Covid21

hahashake wrote: »
    Honestly I haven't done the Great ocean road, but the fact you call it overrated means clearly some people rate it. Though don't think it leads anywhere interesting anyway? Would rather drive up the east coast as there is a lot more to see and do, hell of a drive though.

Look I suppose we’ll agree to disagree on Oz.
    I actually had a great time there but I’d have a great time in Tralee for a week.
    It just didn’t meet my expectations, especially for such a long journey to get there.

I think maybe after spending 10 weeks travelling through South East Asia to get there (which was incredible) Oz was a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Lisbon is probably my favourite city. It's like a mini Rome with less tourists. it's a little run down but it is the second oldest city in Europe I believe. The people offering you drugs can be annoying but the locals are very friendly. Bario Alto has great nightlife.

Amsterdam is another favourite. I don't smoke weed but I love the small pubs that serve Belgium beers. And the nightlife there is crazy without feeling dangerous. Also I love walking around the city looking all the buildings and stopping for coffee. They have a great selection of museums too.

My most boring place is Sophia in Bulgaria. Not much to see or do and the locals were constantly trying to rip us off and were mostly very unfriendly.

Lisbon is probably my favourite city. It's like a mini Rome with less tourists. it's a little run down but it is the second oldest city in Europe I believe. The people offering you drugs can be annoying but the locals are very friendly. Bario Alto has great nightlife.

Amsterdam is another favourite. I don't smoke weed but I love the small pubs that serve Belgium beers. And the nightlife there is crazy without feeling dangerous. Also I love walking around the city looking all the buildings and stopping for coffee. They have a great selection of museums too.

My most boring place is Sophia in Bulgaria. Not much to see or do and the locals were constantly trying to rip us off and were mostly very unfriendly.

I also found Bulgarians to be quite abrupt and lacking in genuine friendliness. I got some money from bureau de change and the guy literally through the money under the window at me and called the next customer. Taxi driver also very rude. I just never encountered that in other countries and the memories really stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

MarkY91 wrote: »

Bogota: Everything to see can be done in half a day. The rest of the city is just an extremely ugly dump. Flew to Medellin after that and couldn't get enough of the city.

Places like Medellín and Cartagena are certainly more attractive for tourists, for multiple reasons. A lot of Bogota´s historic buildings were destroyed in the April 1948 uprising after the assasination of Gaitan, so much of the centre really isn't so pleasant to look at.

However, given their fondness for fascism, I'll never quite warm to people in Medellín or Antioquia more broadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

A few years ago my wife and I spent a weekend in Prague. We drove back form there to her home town in Germany. We decided we'd stop somewhere for a ramble and a bit of food. Ústí nad Labem. 0/10 would not recommend.

I also found Bulgarians to be quite abrupt and lacking in genuine friendliness. I got some money from bureau de change and the guy literally through the money under the window at me and called the next customer. Taxi driver also very rude. I just never encountered that in other countries and the memories really stuck with me.

Hungarians can be thick enough in their manner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Indian is particularly cheap but you will also get plenty of good meals for a tenner and if your not picky all you can eat Chinese for less than that on Soho

sorry to go off topic, but in my self-righteousness (ive a problem)

lot of news about china slave labour working in soho. chained to kitchens. you have to ask yourself if the food costs 5euro how are they getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Know a good few Bulgarians. All very good and fun people when you know them but not the warmest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

The Nal wrote: »
    San Diego is out of control now with homeless people. In the Gaslamp Quarter aswell. People with literally nothing but jeans on - no shoes or shirt - lying face down on the concrete in the middle of the path in the day. Locals are so desensitised that they just walk around them.

Right outside the door of our (nice) hotel, there was a couple smoking crack at 5pm as we arrived back. When we left again to go out for dinner they were gone but there were two big sh1ts and a crackpipe where they were sitting.

San Fran not much better.

This made me laugh and grimace at the same time. It's unbelievable how nobody bats an eyelid. I found San Diego worse than San Fran.
    The homeless people in San Diego don't sit and beg they run around the streets off their heads screaming and stuff. I've never seen anything like it, very sad sight to behold and extremely dangerous.

Not so much boring as disappointing for me was Manchester. I love Britpop hence my username but i found it dirty, run down and just not what i was hoping for. That said, id like to go back and give it another shot.

evil_seed wrote: »
    A few years ago my wife and I spent a weekend in Prague. We drove back form there to her home town in Germany. We decided we'd stop somewhere for a ramble and a bit of food. Ústí nad Labem. 0/10 would not recommend.

i found loads to do in prague - decent football team, great zoo. modern art musuem, cheap beer and food. nice walk by the river and the park.

• Advertisement

agree on lisbon being a great place. one of few places where locals actually seemed interested in tourists. and i find the nearby beach much nicer than the one in barcelona. so nice city and a nice beach nearby. like dublin.

Advertisement