Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incident in Tesco today

• 09-04-2021 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Earlier today in Tesco a lad came in with his hoody up (Mid-Late 30's, looked harmless).

The security guard asked him to put his hood down and the customer refused and began to shop. The guard continued to follow him around the store asking him to put his hood down and the customer kept refusing.

He only bought a handful of things and left. Should he have taken down the hood or was the security guard out of line?

Comments

JackTC wrote: »
    Earlier today in Tesco a lad came in with his hoody up (Mid-Late 30's, looked harmless).

The security guard asked him to put his hood down and the customer refused and began to shop. The guard continued to follow him around the store asking him to put his hood down and the customer kept refusing.

He only bought a handful of things and left. Should he have taken down the hood or was the security guard out of line?

If Tesco has such a policy against hoods then I guess he was just following orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have you informed Reuters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Id imagine it was more to do with the fact that when coupled with a mask the hoody makes the person practically unidentifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Collie D wrote: »
    Have you informed Reuters?

Would be more a case for “The Journal.ie’ but they might find it difficult to cover, it wouldn’t be cut and paste!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

NSAman wrote: »
    Would be more a case for “The Journal.ie’ but they might find it difficult to cover, it wouldn’t be cut and paste!

That’s why you need to call Reuters first, when they print it The Journal can have their big scoop...

Every little helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭JohnMcm1

I would usually agree that it's inappropriate to walk around with your hood up, on the other hand I think it would be hypocritical to force someone to take their hood down but having no problem with a Muslim wearing a full hijab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Was this you ?

I suggest raising your game , maybe the next time you shop in Tesco wear a condom on your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ideally, the scumbag should have been beaten from the store.

However, this is Ireland, where security guards are the ones who get fcuked over if the poor criminal has their feelings hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Should he have taken down the hood

How is this even a question. Of course he should.

Their shop, their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was he wearing a facemask? If yes and he bought the items I dont see any issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im gonna say out of line. I don think there is anything wrong with someone running into a shop with their hood up/hat/cap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It must have been a bad hair day.

It's a common courtesy, and decency, to not cover your entire head/face in a retail store, especially when it's associated with theft and criminality. Security Guard has to be seen to be doing something, so you're just making work for people, and giving hassle where it's not needed.

Tesco should have a policy against it, although based on the face mask thing, it seems retailers in general have no backbone to enforce even their own rules, so it wouldn't really matter either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Security guard didn't sound boss enough.

Dudes in that position are theoretically meant to be so assertive no one second guesses them.

To be fair, he may have sensed the energy/vibe of the dude being up to no good, the hood up just accentuated that.

If he was experienced security he knew to follow the dude to make sure he didn't pinch nuffin', job done.

Alternately he could have wrist locked him and showed him the window.

This is all inference however, we have no idea what these minute but imperative details were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Was he wearing a facemask? If yes and he bought the items I dont see any issue.

Yeah he had his mask on.

Grey hoody, black work trousers and boots. He looked like he had finished up work for the week and was just quickly picking up stuff in Tesco on the way home.

He didn't look like trouble or anything.

It's a common courtesy, and decency, to not cover your entire head/face in a retail store, especially when it's associated with theft and criminality. Security Guard has to be seen to be doing something, so you're just making work for people, and giving hassle where it's not needed.

Tesco should have a policy against it, although based on the face mask thing, it seems retailers in general have no backbone to enforce even their own rules, so it wouldn't really matter either way.

Does this apply to members of the Islamic faith?

JohnMcm1 wrote: »
    Does this apply to members of the Islamic faith?

I don't know - do you instinctively associate the hijab with gangs of scumbags that ransack shops and fleece the place?

I don't know - do you instinctively associate the hijab with gangs of scumbags that ransack shops and fleece the place?

No I don't but that's besides the point. Why do some people have the option to cover their face if they like but others don't?

Btw I'm actually against anyone covering their face like that but I feel it's unfair to allow one and not the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

That's exactly why the security gimp went after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yeah he had his mask on.

Grey hoody, black work trousers and boots. He looked like he had finished up work for the week and was just quickly picking up stuff in Tesco on the way home.

He didn't look like trouble or anything.

I'd have kept the hood up unless there was signage up banning anyone from entering the store with headcoverings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe he had his hood up out of respect for Prince Philip?

I've found my nearest large Tesco has more aggressive antzy customers of late. That means I go to other Tescos both big and small.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If Tesco has such a policy against hoods then I guess he was just following orders.

If they do.

But if they don't, this is awful behaviour.
    Customers cannot be treated like this.

He may have many valid reasons for keeping his hood up.
    No business of the security guy to intervene like that.

If there where any suspicions, just keep a distant eye on the fella.

Seems wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Exactly. I had to have a go at some mouth breather lately who thought he was above wearing a mask in a shop. The staff didn't do it so I said I would.

He was actually eating in the shop the ignorant pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

NSAman wrote: »
    Maybe if the lad was black or a traveller the Journal would be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Id imagine it was more to do with the fact that when coupled with a mask the hoody makes the person practically unidentifiable.

Don't think so, plenty of people (including myself) had hats on with coats zipped up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

'incident'.....Lol

Don't think so, plenty of people (including myself) had hats on with coats zipped up.

Yeah but scrotes tend to dress exclusively in hoodies that are permanently covering their heads.

Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe he did it for religious reasons....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I used deal with a lot of theft working in pubs and in my experience 99% of the time if a staff member is paying a certain customer or loiterer a lot of attention they know the person and have had previous.

Advertisement