Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lowered HD 883 how easy to reverse

Options
  • 08-04-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭

A friend has gotten a HD 883 but it was lowered from new, I assume by HD. Is it easy to get it back to normal ride height or does he need to get a kit to lift it? Anyone recommend a kit if it does need one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I was sure this thread was going to ask where the reverse gear was on the 883 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surely just replace the rear spring/shock for a longer one.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Del2005 wrote: »
    A friend has gotten a HD 883 but it was lowered from new, I assume by HD. Is it easy to get it back to normal ride height or does he need to get a kit to lift it? Anyone recommend a kit if it does need one?

just to state the obvious,
    But have you called Harley in red cow about this?
    They'll know straight off the top of their head and probally have all the parts.

also using google and just looking at lowering kits to see how it was done in the first place.
    I'd say you are probably looking for a new set of shock links.
    Good chance theres original links sitting on a shelf in the Harley workshop.

https://www.motea.com/en/rear-lowering-kit-1-3-for-harley-sportster-883-88-99-suspension-lower-craftride-150043-0?gclid=5h0pp1n9-en&gclid=CjwKCAjw07qDBhBxEiwA6pPbHrTt5uX6MVmAfBZeBfO4vXuQpAH1r-Zd-7wc5Vgm9iz6OZDym1tTIxoC22QQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's a twin shock bike: there are no links. Just fit longer shocks

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

galwaytt wrote: »

There was and still is a kit that lowers the springs mounting points at the bottom end, check for that if it's there chuck it and mount it back to its factory position.
    It'll just be a bracket that is bolted into the original mounting point for the shocks, the bracket then has its own lower mounting point for the spring.
    Failing that two new shocks, as the originals would of had to have been swapped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

galwaytt wrote: »

bracket is probably a better term than link, but if you look at the lowering kit you can see what i meant
    But the lowering kit seems to change the swing arm brackets to a smaller one.
    So the reverse would be take them out and put original back.

Advertisement