Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ID this crankset please.

• 07-04-2021 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

My SIL rang me to ask if I could get her son a new crank for his bike. She sent me photos and it looks like the pedal completely stripped the threaded section of the crank and so needs a new one. I’ve looked on line and can’t find it using the part number (SXH 170) The groupset is Tourney but not sure what the crankset is, it’s a triple and no doubt a cheap non series crankset. Can anyone identify it for me ? BTW it’s a Smyths bike and still under warranty but I don’t know if they’ll honour the warranty as her husband assembled it and not them. Anyway pictures in the next post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Pictures

Just get a cheapest square tapers tourney triple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any way to simply weld the pedal axle in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

grogi wrote: »
    Just get a cheapest square tapers tourney triple.

I bought one a few months ago, under €30 iirc..

I still have the old crankset and you can have it. If it is the non-drive side you can use my old crank. However if drive side is what you need, it is no good as mine is attached to very worn chainrings.

531 wrote: »
    I bought one a few months ago, under €30 iirc..

I still have the old crankset and you can have it. If it is the non-drive side you can use my old crank. However if drive side is what you need, it is no good as mine is attached to very worn chainrings.

It’s the non drive side. What length is yours?

• Advertisement

any way to simply weld the pedal axle in place?

I doubt it. Judging from the pictures as I haven’t seen in person, it’s like the screw hole for the pedal was heli-coiled into the crank and came away along with the pedal spindle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i also have a spare cheap as chips triple crankset here, but i never checked the wear on the chainrings. free to a good home, i can check for wear in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

It’s the non drive side. What length is yours?

I am pretty sure it is 170mm but will check this evening.

Yes, it is 170mm.

531 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it is 170mm but will check this evening.

Yes, it is 170mm.

Ok. I’ll get back to you. My SIL told me she ordered one online so if it’s the right one then good enough but if not I’ll get back to you. Thanks

Advertisement