Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carl Frampton V Jamel Herring Fight Thread - Channel 5 @ 10pm

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

He was in Okolie's dressing room a couple of weeks back. Maybe just as a guest of shane, but he made sure the cameras saw him

Seeing as Anthony Joshua is officially Okolie's manager, and I can't imagine he's on the blower sorting fights and sponsorship for him, I'd have to suspect someone else is actually doing the work.

Either Matchroom are also managing him aswell as promoting or somebody else is, and it could quite well be McGuigan has a role.......or wants a role.

Billiam-Smith is a good solid domestic level Cruiserweight, who could maybe even get up to European level. A decent fighter to have on your books, I'm sure he ships a few tickets too.
    But if he's your only guy you'd want him at a much higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

megadodge wrote: »
    First look at Keshawn Davis and I'm seriously impressed.

Read a good article on him in Boxing News recently and I know the Americans had big hopes for him in the Olympics and were very disappointed he turned over.

Something about this kid looks special. And he's in a serious division too (lightweight). Looking forward to watching him progress.

Aye looks really good. Shame he couldn't win gold at the Olympics last year and be getting a bit more hype around his pro career. Has serious star potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Saw him live when Rikphore beat him. Thought he was robbed. Really good boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just on the channel 5 production:

Did they show any replay of the finish of the fight?

I waited around and nothing..

Though, cannot wait for the return of the one and only, Sam Egginton..😝

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Saw him live when Rikphore beat him. Thought he was robbed. Really good boxer.

????

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Just on the channel 5 production:

Did they show any replay of the finish of the fight?

I waited around and nothing..

Though, cannot wait for the return of the one and only, Sam Egginton..😝

I know it's difficult with the lack of crowds but everything felt very amateurish. Like Frampton finished his career in the empty leisure centres he started in. Shame he had to go out in that manner regardless of the result.

????

What?

Morrison J wrote: »
    I know it's difficult with the lack of crowds but everything felt very amateurish. Like Frampton finished his career in the empty leisure centres he started in. Shame he had to go out in that manner regardless of the result.

Yes...

Even for Covid standards, it felt real low budget...

????

He's talking about Chris Billiam-Smith and his fight with Richard Riakporhe.

Riakporhe is overly reliant on his power, and his skills/stamina require a lot of improvement if he's to move up in level. He's lucky he hasn't suffered defeat already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Yes...

Even for Covid standards, it felt real low budget...

It was definitely shot on an old Nokia 3310.

Shocking camera work

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    He's talking about Chris Billiam-Smith and his fight with Richard Riakporhe.

Riakporhe is overly reliant on his power, and his skills/stamina require a lot of improvement if he's to move up in level. He's lucky he hasn't suffered defeat already.

Yes. Good heavy hands, but that way won’t cut it as he steps up. Needs to show more rounded game..

Did a number on McCarthy all the same. Heavy hitting..

Yes. Good heavy hands, but that way won’t cut it as he steps up. Needs to show more rounded game..

Did a number on McCarthy all the same. Heavy hitting..

Ah I see the confusion now. Yea I thought B Smith did much more of the neater work especially early on. RR is a very strong man to be fair, could see them meet again.

The ring announcer was horrendous as well. Read the whole thing off a clipboard, it’s not as though these guys are new. Not even that he had the clipboard but he was so reliant on it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Morrison J wrote: »

The production value was woeful.

Even the studio stuff was terrible. They were filming in a room where you could see the reflections of everything in the windows. It was literally one step above a lad in his living room with a phone.

You were spot on :cool::)

Very disappointed not to get hero status for that call haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

A sad ending to a great career but not many go out in a World title fight. Wouldnt mind the height but the reach and jab from Herring ensured a relatively easy night. Honestly it was hard to be optimistic here as Carl is just not the same since the Warrington fight. Yes he could have, and maybe should have, retired then but understandable he didnt want to go out like that and he proved there was fight left by beating Donaire.

But he can be proud as he made some good money, is a two weight World Champion and got out with all his marbles. And like Barry he did unify communities when he fought. It was an honour to see an Irish fighter win a World title against a "local" in NY and hope to be able to buy him a few pints sometime as payback for that great day in Annie Moore's!

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    A sad ending to a great career but not many go out in a World title fight. Wouldnt mind the height but the reach and jab from Herring ensured a relatively easy night. Honestly it was hard to be optimistic here as Carl is just not the same since the Warrington fight. Yes he could have, and maybe should have, retired then but understandable he didnt want to go out like that and he proved there was fight left by beating Donaire.

But he can be proud as he made some good money, is a two weight World Champion and got out with all his marbles. And like Barry he did unify communities when he fought. It was an honour to see an Irish fighter win a World title against a "local" in NY and hope to be able to buy him a few pints sometime as payback for that great day in Annie Moore's!

I agree with all the sentiments above, but just want to note that he actually beat Donaire 8 months before the Warrington loss.

Probably just a bad combination of Frampton hitting a big point of decline at the same time Warrington was just surging into his prime.

I know it's just one fight, but after the Lara bout I'd be surprised if Warrington reaches as high a peak as that night again !

Donaire had no business at featherweight to be fair. Probably a win that looks better on paper than in reality for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Big Ears wrote: »
    I agree with all the sentiments above, but just want to note that he actually beat Donaire 8 months before the Warrington loss.

Probably just a bad combination of Frampton hitting a big point of decline at the same time Warrington was just surging into his prime.

I know it's just one fight, but after the Lara bout I'd be surprised if Warrington reaches as high a peak as that night again !

Of course you are right. Time plays tricks!

His last meaningful win so.

Advertisement