Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle infrastructure planned for north Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Searchers wrote: »
    I always think that the level ‘heat’ around cycling tracks in Fairview is very strange.

All of the land the east of Fairview Strand has been reclaimed from the sea. It is a long time since it was a strand. Not only that, it is six lanes of road space for traffic. There is also major piece of infrastructure to the east of the park - ie the railway line. More further east on Alfie Byrne Road. And to cap it all, underneath the park is one of Ireland’s largest infrastructures in the Port Tunnel.

And yet, here we are in 2021 arguing and debating endlessly about how to build a safe cycling route through Fairview. With the engineering solutions that have already been brought to bear in this space over centuries, surely it is not beyond creative minds to develop creative solutions.

And one point on the shared cycle track in the park - what is the point when the gates are closed at commuting time and it is unlit at night?

And those gates are often still closed during commute times the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They'll just light up that stretch and leave the park open maybe? I went to school in Fairview and have cycled through it for decades and it's an absolute nightmare. I just wont let myself believe that they'll build a cycle lane that might inconvenience motorists or residents for a while, I can't see it happening.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went to school in Fairview
    Joeys? Me too!
    it's an absolute nightmare. I just wont let myself believe that they'll build a cycle lane that might inconvenience motorists or residents for a while, I can't see it happening.
    The gas thing is that traffic is forced to narrow into single file closer to town e.g. North Strand. Its a pointless fight those opposed to it are fighting

Joeys? Me too!

Good man! Class of '98 here.

Good man! Class of '98 here.
    I'm from the class of Italia 90 :D

• Advertisement

What is the situation with grass verges between roads and footpaths, are they council owned? The council seem to be responsible for cutting the grass but I'm sure residents think they own the patch outside their house.

Here's an example from Brookwood Avenue where a segregated cycle lane could be installed in place of the grass with some imagination and engineering. Ample room. Save the council a job in having to cut the grass too.

It would be a better option than using it as a parking space for the white car in the map.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LnUfPsFMzHFJPB647

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the verge is public land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

What is the situation with grass verges between roads and footpaths, are they council owned? The council seem to be responsible for cutting the grass but I'm sure residents think they own the patch outside their house.

Here's an example from Brookwood Avenue where a segregated cycle lane could be installed in place of the grass with some imagination and engineering. Ample room. Save the council a job in having to cut the grass too.

It would be a better option than using it as a parking space for the white car in the map.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LnUfPsFMzHFJPB647

What about the trees ? It wouldn't be much of a cycle path if you're trying to squeeze it around them. Very narrow + lumpy & bumpy.

In that situation I would narrow down the road so that there's just one car width each way for cars instead of nearly 2 widths, or else just make it one way for cars and take one side completely for a bike path.

Bicycledutch mentioned in his youtube video when he came to Dublin for Velocity that him and other delegates were surprised to find that good bike infrastructure was found mostly in places where it didn't interfere with motor traffic.

The reality is that in order to really tackle congestion and make progress towards meeting carbon emissions targets etc, we don't just have to make it easier and more attractive for people to bike, but we also HAVE to make it harder and less attractive for people to drive. Planners and councillors are still dancing around this, but they're going to have to grasp that particular nettle sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's what we're trying to do in Sandymount, as you say, it's inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The bollards do look ugly and that is used by anti cycle people quite often so these are win win

Protective bollards for Vernon Avenue next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

who's north dublin's mannix flynn?

Great news, about time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got this email from dublin cycling campaign, may be of interest/actionable for anyone who lives in the area:
    Opposition to safe segregated cycling routes on Griffith Avenue

You might be aware that the City Council has been consulting and planning a safe segregated cycle route along the wide expanse of Griffith Avenue. This cycle route is essentially to facilitate safe access and travel by schoolchildren and cyclists in general along this avenue. There are a large number of schools along or close to this route - check out this link map for information. The background and history of the scheme is on this link on the City Council website. You yourself can make a submission in support of this scheme at any time up to 30th June next.

Unfortunately a number of City Councillors in the general area of the scheme, have been contacted by individuals who have complained about the scheme, and are seeking to have it halted or amended significantly. This is yet another kickback attempt against a progressive scheme. We are asking you, if at all possible, to contact the Dublin city councillors on this list from the areas of Ballymun-Finglas, Cabra-Glasnevin, and Clontarf to urge them to get fully behind this scheme. It is at a critical stage, and really needs people to step up and show support to help it get over the line. To do this we have a suggested draft email below for you to send, but of course also feel free to amend it and/or individually contact any councillors you may personally know, to garner support.

Dear Councillor
    I am writing to you seeking your support for the vital work that Dublin City Council are advancing, in the construction of a protected cycle route along both sides of Griffith Avenue. As you will note from this Link Map, this area contains more than a dozen schools in its vicinity, and there are multiple reasons to support the construction of this protected cycle route:
    1 Our children, the next generation need safe routes to school and to be encouraged to travel actively by walking and cycling.
    2 The Griffith Avenue cycle route needs your support to ensure that safe segregated routes are provided for all road users.
    3 Slower speeds and segregated cycle routes will save lives and encourage more people to be active.
    4 This proposed route serves a large number of local schools and needs to be encouraged.
    5 Dublin City Council has consulted widely on these plans, and the final plans are as a result of this widespread consultation, and the plans need to be supported.
    6 Greater levels of active travel means a greater improvement in the general health of the population.
    7 Greater levels of active travel means reduced numbers of motor vehicles, leading to less air pollution, noise, and congestion, all of which provides a cleaner and safer environment

I hope you will support this request for support, and I look forward to your response

You might let us know if you get any responses from the councillors, and we hope to regularly update our Campaign website with progress on the project.

Wtf is the opposition? Jesus Christ I'm really losing faith in humanity with this stuff.

Wtf is the opposition? Jesus Christ I'm really losing faith in humanity with this stuff.

The aggressive neanderthal pushback against making our spaces more people friendly is really an embarassment to Ireland at this stage.

Especially when you frame it within the context of climate change and what needs to happen urgently. You can see other European countries are "getting it", but yet we're not. Having to listen to the same old angry sh*te being trotted out about road tax, loony greens etc, is particularly embarrassing.

Wtf is the opposition?
    'where will i park my car?'
    'griffith avenue was so much nicer without the wands'.
    'people are still cycling on the footpaths'

that pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/fingal-coastal-way-non-statutory-public-consultation
    Fingal County Council is in the process of developing plans for the Fingal Coastal Way, a high quality, safe, attractive and environmentally sympathetic coastal walking and cycling route linking Donabate, Rush, Loughshinny, Skerries and Balbriggan and the wider North Fingal area.

This will be gorgeous.

buffalo wrote: »

It sure will. I'm looking forward to cruising it in my mobility scooter :pac:

Edit: That sounded a bit negative.

It will be amazing when it's done. I just wish Fingal could step on the accelerator a bit with these developments as I find current pace such as with the Broadmeadow Way a bit painful.

It does look good, I just don't get too excited about these greenway projects as these are the sort of cycling projects politicians can say they support as they don't inflict on traffic or parking.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

All Paul McAuliffe is doing there is repurposing the fear mongering, and casting himself as the white knight.

Not helpful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They don't give a toss about the trees. They all might lose what is essentially another off road parking space though, due to the weirdly wide area in front of the houses along there.

If it were still Ballymun avenue, and finglas either side of it, this wouldn't be an issue I bet.

i once nicked part of a tree from glasnevin avenue.
    in my defence, it had blown down in ophelia.

i once nicked part of a tree from glasnevin avenue.
    in my defence, it had blown down in ophelia.

"Dem cyclists! Deyve been stealin' bits of our trees for years now, Joe!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I wrote to several local councillors as per the Dublin Cycling Campaign email and to be fair got back several responses, by and large endorsing the cycle lane.

On Paul McAuliffe - thats really having your cake and eating it.

And his "on the one hand and on the other" is pretty imbalanced .....on the one hand, child safety and on the other hand trees on the side of the road......really?

On a related note - Paul McAuliffe asked for feedback & commentary from cyclists in the local area about 9 months ago - I sent him a pretty detailed email outlining various pinch points in the area, as I imagine others did also.

He hasnt really responded in any way, except the initial "thanks, I'll review all these points". Bit disappointed, why put people to the trouble.

On Griffith Avenue = the council appears to have pandered to particular houses on the route, that kicked up a fuss.

There was one car parking on the cycle lane for ages, with some nonsense handwritten note saying the council had allowed him to park there.

Now there is a single space parking spot outside that house, just to keep that one punter happy.

there is parking provided for the doctor/dentist surgery, that was the main concern there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    He hasnt really responded in any way, except the initial "thanks, I'll review all these points". Bit disappointed, why put people to the trouble.

I do feel sorry for councillors - even those I disagree with. You'd be hard pressed to find someone just to handle replying thoughtfully to all the emails for €17k (plus expenses) a year, let alone all the rest of the work.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for councillors - even those I disagree with. You'd be hard pressed to find someone just to handle replying thoughtfully to all the emails for €17k (plus expenses) a year, let alone all the rest of the work.

I'd agree with that completelty - note Paul McAuliffe is a TD and has a team around him.

I'm in awe of the local councillors for the amount of work they do.

Also for their patience - I see them on local facebook residential sites and people giving out about everything on all sides, people who themselves never get up of their couches to do a damn thing.

And the councilors tend to remain pretty calm in the midst of all this.

Advertisement