Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have your ever done a DNA test? What were your results?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

cj maxx wrote: »
    Wasn't Scotland settled by Irish tribes ?

The western and SW parts of Scotland were periodically settled by the Irish, yes. Scots though aren't generally descended from the Irish.

https://www.scottishorigenes.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Scottish%20medieval%20ethnicity%20map_0.jpg

That’ll give you a fairly good idea of the historical mingling that took place on these islands

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/news-and-events/news/news-article/2019/09/researchers-connect-irish-and-scottish-genetic-maps

Yes, I've read that study. It aligns with what I have said in that the mixing was mostly in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Did the ancestry test. Came out at 99% Irish with 1% Norwegian (most likely a rogue viking).

No English
    No Welsh
    No Scottish
    Or anything else for that matter

How my ancestors managed that tbf considering they came from the four corners of the Island is truely one of natures mysteries. (No offence meant- but my ancestors were a fussy bunch it seems)

Based on this I'll be claiming full ethic status and demanding that all my ancestral lands be given back. The rest of ye admixtures can get lost :pac:

I'll also be checking up what damages we're owed by the Norwegian government...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There’s an interesting one that shows a linkage in the populations right up the Atlantic coast of Spain, France and into Britain, Ireland and parts of Scandinavia.

So it’s likely that a group of people an extremely long time ago just gradually walked from the Iberian peninsula, settling as they went, moving slowly further and further north, all the way up the Atlantic coast lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

There’s an interesting one that shows a linkage in the populations right up the Atlantic coast of Spain, France and into Britain, Ireland and parts of Scandinavia.

So it’s likely that a group of people an extremely long time ago just gradually walked from the Iberian peninsula, settling as they went, moving slowly further and further north, all the way up the Atlantic coast lines.

Most likely it’s shared ancestry. In the early days high frequency of Y haplogroups in Iberia was assumed to represent an origin point. Now it looks like that haplogroup moved west from a group that originated on the Steppe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

My tree has one female ancestor (branch) who came from the mid west USA in the early 1800s, then went back about 20 years later when her husband passed away taking the kids with her.

I was really surprised by it & said it to my dad who shrugged and said "that'd explain the family tree I got sent 40 years ago..."

He went and got it & it was a binder someone in the US had sent him on spec after researching their tree through their family bible & documents handed down. 40 years ago my dad was one of two people with the surname in the phone book in Dublin, and still lived close enough to the old family home that had been around when this person had come over here.

Had some great detail on that side of the family but nothing of real use to me as the family genealogist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Basically we’re all cousins if you go back far enough, or in some cases worryingly not very far at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Basically we’re all cousins if you go back far enough, or in some cases worryingly not very far at all...

That idea that we all go back to Charlemagne is great. However we all went our separate ways and what's in your gene pool the last 300-400 years, along with environment, makes you who you are today. It accounts for diseases that are more likely to effect you, your talents etc if your recent ancestry is mostly middle Ireland as opposed to say the Czech republic.

We're all related anyway, when taken to its logical conclusion means, 'well we're all descended from the same group of monkeys, therefore we're all the same'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Culture, Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Culture, Boss.

No need to invoke a certain community. With no inbreeding your family tree should have 1,000 people in your family tree at ten generations (say 300 to 400 years ago).
    Take your typical small rural area and imagine people from different families doing a family tree, how much overlap do you think there would be and do you think that many people would even have existed in that area in the last ten generations?
    Granted you would have ancestors move from another area etc. but by and large at about four or five generations most people will be related.

• Advertisement

Here's my percentage of Irish Scottish and Welsh. 81%
    Unfortunately I'm absolutely rubbish at all things Dna, anyone that has experience with this stuff care to help. Is there a way to break down the % for each country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

No need to invoke a certain community. With no inbreeding your family tree should have 1,000 people in your family tree at ten generations (say 300 to 400 years ago).
    Take your typical small rural area and imagine people from different families doing a family tree, how much overlap do you think there would be and do you think that many people would even have existed in that area in the last ten generations?
    Granted you would have ancestors move from another area etc. but by and large at about four or five generations most people will be related.

Interesting. From what I can gather the big moving generation was 1600-1700. End of 9 years War, dispossession etc, Cromwellian upheaval mid century, Williamite Wars 1688-91. When helping people with family trees, if they have good graveyard records a lot are in the same place mid 1700s on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Yes I am one million % descended from the gaels.

Erm no I have not done a DNA test ...but I have always said I wanted to :) But i mean i don't think its going to tell me anything i don't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Here's my percentage of Irish Scottish and Welsh. 81%
    Unfortunately I'm absolutely rubbish at all things Dna, anyone that has experience with this stuff care to help. Is there a way to break down the % for each country?

May I suggest you ask us on the Genealogy forum?!

Genealogy Forum Mod

That’ll give you a fairly good idea of the historical mingling that took place on these islands

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/news-and-events/news/news-article/2019/09/researchers-connect-irish-and-scottish-genetic-maps

Some of it tallies with political history, but more of it connects with stuff like research on movement of things like threads of stories in songs, linguistics, music and so on. A lot of those themes crop up again and again and will tie even into similar stuff in parts of Scandinavia and northern France.

There’s a lot of quite complex history and some of the movements don’t match geopolitical history.

It’s interesting in the sense that there are many, many layers that can show a lot of the realities of life, settlements, cultures, migration etc etc.

I was thinking with the difference in settler patterns by nationality. Fermanagh was mostly settled with English people unlike the rest of Northern Ireland.

I wonder if a Protestant from Fermanagh would score a high English percentage? Nearly all Ulster Scots people I match score high Scottish with almost no English.

The highest English percentage I can find in my Northern Irish matches is 7%, so the English inflow did not make much of an impact in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Haven't had a DNA test yet, but based on what I know about our family tree I would expect a fairly standard result for here (South Dublin), nothing exotic, just a blend of approx 80% Irish, English 18%, maybe a little Scots blood too 2% = total guess. All Northern European for sure, Norse based, Viking, Anglo,-Saxon, Celts & Norman's, nothing med related or Spanish I don't think, there again you never know until you've had the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Haven't had a DNA test yet, but based on what I know about our family tree I would expect a fairly standard result for here (South Dublin), nothing exotic, just a blend of approx 80% Irish, English 18%, maybe a little Scots blood too 2% = total guess. All Northern European for sure, Norse based, Viking, Anglo,-Saxon, Celts & Norman's, nothing med related or Spanish I don't think, there again you never know until you've had the test.
    How many generations back that you know of would your family have lived in Dublin ? I'd say that's a big factor too.

Advertisement